User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Air box - Had some spare minutes at work

Default Cold Air box - Had some spare minutes at work

And knocked up this little jobbie to specifically house my Cobb SRI. After seeing IAT around the 55 + degrees with ambient between around 30-40, a good mate & I looked at all the other designs and after a few minutes we came up with the goods to make this. Taken the car for a spin. IAT now down to within 5 degrees of ambient. I'll paint the thing next. Its mounted to the Stock Air Box mounting points. The Cobb sits in there perfectly too. Will post more when I get time.
    Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00023-20100121-1524.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	2116  
    Last edited by WASpd6; 21-01-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Interesting, any chance you'll make more to sell? I have a Cobb SRI as well that I would possibly like to get one for. How are you measuring the temperatures btw? Dashhawk?

Within 5 degrees of ambient even on stationary position?...or within 5 degrees from ambient when moving...

Looks good btw

4. Default

yeh looks the goods care to make some for your fellow MPS6 brothers and sisters

Very tidy

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Within 5 degrees of ambient even on stationary position?...or within 5 degrees from ambient when moving...

Looks good btw
    Thats what i'd like to know, mine is completely standard and is usually about 4-5 degrees above ambiant.
    Got it up to 71degrees today after stopping (highest i've seen since i got the scangauge at xmas) but it came back down to 46 fairly quickly (it was 41 here today)

Clarification guys- the box maintains my IAT to within 4 -5 degrees of ambient temperature whilst the car is moving. If it was whilst the car was stationary, I would have slapped a patent on it.
    I'm using a Dash Hawk to monitor the IAT. All I know was that without the box, the IAT was definitely way higher than ambient whilst the car was moving, though I dont remember seeing a 71. Thats phenomenal. Did see a 65degrees this morning on the way into work.
    Didnt measure the IAT with the Std Airbox but I'd expect the results as seen by bd581 above to be normal, courtesy of good old Japanese Engineering.
    I prefer the induction noise and throttle response of the Cobb SRI over the Stock box anyway so now I'm a happy man. Kinda reminds me of the induction noise of twin side draft Weber carbies from days gone by. There is still some refinement in the form of heat treatment etc.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    yeh looks the goods care to make some for your fellow MPS6 brothers and sisters
    If there is enough interest in the finished product, we may!

Mate that is a nice piece of work If it's not too much trouble for you, I am sure there a few MPS 6 owners here who would like something like this, some have different SRI's, would this make much of a difference? If you get to the point of putting something together, post up in the Members market under group buys and start off maybe as an EOI and see how many show interest. If you're free on Sunday and feel like a drive, we're having a little get together this weekend, check the link on my sig, would be good to catch up and look at your creation. FYI I've got a CAI and the IAT is about 2-3 degrees above ambient whilst moving
    Cheers
    Chris
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Mate that is a nice piece of work If it's not too much trouble for you, I am sure there a few MPS 6 owners here who would like something like this, some have different SRI's, would this make much of a difference? If you get to the point of putting something together, post up in the Members market under group buys and start off maybe as an EOI and see how many show interest. If you're free on Sunday and feel like a drive, we're having a little get together this weekend, check the link on my sig, would be good to catch up and look at your creation. FYI I've got a CAI and the IAT is about 2-3 degrees above ambient whilst moving
    Cheers
    Chris
    Cheers mate. Bugger I'm fully booked Sunday with family stuff. As far as the other SRI's are concerned, we made this particluar box specifically to fit what was in my engine bay, although to modding it to fit the other SRI types definitely isnt out of the question. Damn I'm annoyed I going to miss Sunday now.

Quote Originally Posted by WASpd6 View Post
    Clarification guys- the box maintains my IAT to within 4 -5 degrees of ambient temperature whilst the car is moving. If it was whilst the car was stationary, I would have slapped a patent on it.
    Hmm in that case I would have expected better, maybe its diferent for the MPS6 but my CES SRI with just a shield stays 1 or 2 degrees above from ambient while moving, sometimes has even matched ambient temperature, it cant get any better than that.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

How does it affect the noise?

Hmm in that case I would have expected better, maybe its diferent for the MPS6 but my CES SRI with just a shield stays 1 or 2 degrees above from ambient while moving, sometimes has even matched ambient temperature, it cant get any better than that.
    True, Awesome bit of kit then, I'd be happy with that. My original intent was to drop the IAT down from what I was seeing prior. This morning, I ended up matching the ambient air temp of 20 deg for a while (which was after I had stopped and idled for a few minutes or so to speak to my building supervisor and had started driving again).
    By the way I am using the Ambient Air Temp on the cars dash. Not sure of its accuracy or update rate, but so far its been a good reference. Dash Hawk AAT say N/A???
    At one stage I stopped for a set of lights and watched the IAT climb to 45 degrees. I left the lights at 0741. By 0743 IAT were down to 24degrees - then I hit the next set of lights. After that I kept my eyes on the road as two semi trailers in front of me, staged each other and proceeded to drag each other off - UPHILL and spraying my car with dirt and rocks.

Matt as far as the noise goes, the induction noise of the Cobb in the box is slightly deeper now.

In the end, it's a barrier that tries to keep the hotter air around the engine away from the intake. It's not rocket science, and differences of 1 or 2 degrees are more likely due to current conditions (weather, how long the car has been running) rather than the design. The best design would be totally sealed from the engine bay and go straight to the front of the car - which in essence is a CAI. That said, anything that helps reduce IATs can't be a bad thing and I'll be trying to convince WASpd6 to make them
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

14. Default

Hi guys, Jimmy (WASpd6) and I are happy with the initial temperature data we have gathered and the fit and finish of this air box.
    We have reused the two factory airbox mounting bolts and rubber isolators to mount the box.
    We have aimed to enclose the pod from engine heat and retain good access to the rear of the headlight and the existing wheel arch air feed.
    We will get a couple of detailed pics later today to better show the unit.
    The biggest improvement has been seen with the recovery of air temperature after stopping for any period of time. The warm air is washed out of the airbox very quickly, generally well within a minute.
    We will be painting Jimmy's airbox matt black to give it a bit of the factory look.
    We also have a couple of additional ideas we might trial, ie. going to Clark Rubber and try some foam/rubber sheet on the interior of the box to try and cut down some of the stationary heating of the actual box.
    Jimmy had monitored his IATs (with DashHawk) against Ambient (using the dash readout) and his driving style for an extensive period prior to installation of the box. As mentioned above, there is definately a measureable improvement in temps.
    Also, to answer the questions on noise, it retains the nice, coming on boost, "rush" type inlet noise (maybe a bit deeper as mentioned above by Jimmy), but if anything, seems to throw the sound a bit. I think if we do trial lining the box it would quiet the unit down (maybe for the worse as I quite like the noise)..
    We would look to make more boxes if the interest is there.
    We will keep the forum informed of progress.

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    In the end, it's a barrier that tries to keep the hotter air around the engine away from the intake. It's not rocket science, and differences of 1 or 2 degrees are more likely due to current conditions (weather, how long the car has been running) rather than the design. The best design would be totally sealed from the engine bay and go straight to the front of the car - which in essence is a CAI. That said, anything that helps reduce IATs can't be a bad thing and I'll be trying to convince WASpd6 to make them
    I am pretty confident that with some Clark Rubber stick-on foam strip we could produce a very good seal from the engine bay to the front/side corner of the car (enclosing the factory air tube and headlight)

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

A shield if installed/designed properly will give good results.
    We wanted to enclose the pod away from interested eyes and aimed for a semi-factory look so decided a box was the way to go. A box also made it easier for us to seal the pod away from the engine bay heat.

I've not put a DashHawk on mine yet, but it looks kinda close to factory...

Uses Factory cold air pickup too, shown without lid on...

2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Hi guys. Here with the promised pics. These show the cover removed and the attachment of the MAF housing of the filter assembly to the airbox. Gee didnt think this would raise this much interest.

Name:	IMG00028-20100122-1351.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	2127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00029-20100122-1351.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	2128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00030-20100122-1352.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	2129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00031-20100122-1352.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	2130   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00032-20100122-1354.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	2131  

Default Painted unit in situ

Ok so its been a while since we propped this on the site. Here with pics of the intake after a quick rattle can paint job. Thinking of placing a chrome MPS decal on the top cover. Whaddya reckon.
    Apologies for poor photo quality. F&*%kin Blackberry!! More to follow soon.
    Phil
    aka
    Jimmy

Name:	IMG00047-20100131-1732.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	2182   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00048-20100131-1733.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	2183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00049-20100131-1733.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	2184  
    Last edited by WASpd6; 01-02-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Hey Phil, good work looks sweet painted black, chrome or even a red decal would look sweet. Decals can be ordered here - http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...available.html

How much for a box!

Quote Originally Posted by WASpd6 View Post
    And knocked up this little jobbie to specifically house my Cobb SRI. After seeing IAT around the 55 + degrees with ambient between around 30-40, a good mate & I looked at all the other designs and after a few minutes we came up with the goods to make this. Taken the car for a spin. IAT now down to within 5 degrees of ambient. I'll paint the thing next. Its mounted to the Stock Air Box mounting points. The Cobb sits in there perfectly too. Will post more when I get time.
    Phil
    i was thinking of making some of those for those who don't want a open pod filter still have the drawings here was looking at going into the box with a 3" flex pipe and on the same angle pointing directly to the intake from the box so its straight in and straight out so to speak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast