User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazda 6 MPS differential mounts

Default Mazda 6 MPS differential mounts

As some of you are aware, I've had a few issues with my diff recently, full story here as this provides some of the background.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...solutions.html

Anyway until today I've never been 100% happy with the acceleration in AWD as the replacement diff rear mount Mazda installed after I broke mine had too much give in the rubber inserts, thus causing mild vibrations under most kinds of acceleration which I believe resulted in a power loss (seat of the pants dyno didn't feel quick)

Today I had the following installed:

1 x Turbine Tech forward diff mount, this basically braces the whole forward section of the diff and not the right hand side only. Full details of how this works here Turbinetech
    1 x CP-e rear diff mount http://www.cp-e.com/2042.html

Turbine Tech Forward Diff Mount

Stock Forward Diff Mount

CP-e Rear Diff Mount

Stock Rear Diff Mount

In the third image of the stock mount I am pushing the insert, which has moved about 1cm, there is no movement with the CP-e mount!

So what does all this mean, several things

1) I can accelerate (moderate, WOT etc) and not feel any driveline vibrations
    2) Diff resonant vibration has almost dissapeared (short test 15km freeway run)
    3) The "Seat of the Pants" dyno tells me it's putting more power down to the road
    4) I'm loving my car more so than ever
    5) I don't think either of these brackets would break (axles might though!)
    6) Slight negative, diff whine has increased (marginally)

So whilst this has not been a "low cost" mod I feel the overall outcome was worth it, as it also provides me with "peace of mind" for having broken 1 mount and sheared bolts, I felt a little nervous when I drove her hard! And most importantly she feels damn quick again

Cheers
    Chris
    Last edited by shakespeare; 14-01-2010 at 12:09 AM.
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Good news mate.

For future references... Have you got a approx cost for each mount?

Cheers

Good to see you have a good result there m8

4. Default

I reckon these are one of those things we should all do before we start modding the 6s, I mean even standard the stock ones seem to break!

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    Good news mate.

For future references... Have you got a approx cost for each mount?

Cheers
    Turbine Tech $299 (CAN/US) + $100 shipping

CP-e $249 (US) + shipping +$100 shipping

Both items have a bit of weight and were shipped via Air, probably could have got the shipping less for sea freight. Exchange rate is still good though

Also PM MPS garage as they may have the CP-e mount in stock. Street Unit also do a replacement rear mount, not sure about this one though.

Do you find your gear changing had been smoothed out a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by BCMPS View Post
    Do you find your gear changing had been smoothed out a bit?
    Gear changes are much improved with the CP-e engine mount, acceleration with the diff mounts is smooth and quick

Shakespeare,

I am wondering how you are getting along with this fundemental improvements to the diff bracing?

Have you experienced any further ill-effects from implementing these mods? Are there any discussions you have seen on US forums that have resulted in material failures (i.e cracked diff housings) due to these mods?

I am also interested to know whether you have tried an alternative rim and tyre package since you implemented these mods - I have been reading your other thread about the inital failures, and am interested in your further findings.
    Cheers.

Hi mazda6mps

So far so good, though I haven't done any real hard launches, however I drive my car how it should be driven (very spiritedly) and everything is good and the driveline vibrations are almost non-existent. Only thing that did increase slightly was the diff whine but this is not really an issue.

From what I have read from the US, there does not seem to be any problems and when I asked Turbine Tech about the forward mount they have not had any failure reports.

I am now back on stock rims and tyres, due to possibilities of increased stresses with non standard sizes. Hope this helps a bit
    Cheers
    Chris

time to revive an old thread lol

im thinking about rear diff mounts for my car now.

what do people think? turbine tech/CPE combo or SURE dread/juggernaught combo?

what bolts are people using? stock bolts or aftermarket high tensile? what size are they?

thanks i get clunking and banging on shift which i think is linked to the stock rear diff mounts shifting around.

Ice

I went with turbine tech/sure dreadnaught, which I now regret because the dreadnaught has proven to be flimsy and is now bent, which caused the rear diff to become misaligned which caused a broken axle. If you look end-on at the dreadnaught and compare it to the cpe it's easy to see where the weakness in the dreadnaught is. SURE have now completely changed the design of the dreadnaught. It looks impressive until you discover it's made of aluminium. The same flimsiness is apparent when you compare their juggernaught to the turbine tech. Not to mention that in my opinion after sales service at SURE stinks.

I recommend going with the turbine tech/CPE combo.

Gone to Volvo

if going cpe it seems one is forced to use MPS garage who want some 600$ for the part, so they can naff off on that one.

whats the best way to get the turbine tech/cpe combo without it costing an arm and a leg?

ice

A shipping agent who receives the item at a US address then forwards it to AUS?

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    I went with turbine tech/sure dreadnaught, which I now regret because the dreadnaught has proven to be flimsy and is now bent, which caused the rear diff to become misaligned which caused a broken axle. If you look end-on at the dreadnaught and compare it to the cpe it's easy to see where the weakness in the dreadnaught is. SURE have now completely changed the design of the dreadnaught. It looks impressive until you discover it's made of aluminium. The same flimsiness is apparent when you compare their juggernaught to the turbine tech. Not to mention that in my opinion after sales service at SURE stinks.

I recommend going with the turbine tech/CPE combo.

did you go with the dreadnaught 1 or 2?

i have the dreadnaught 2 and juggernaught and they are stiff as a perverts cock at a daycare centre!

Quote Originally Posted by IceValk85 View Post
    if going cpe it seems one is forced to use MPS garage who want some 600$ for the part, so they can naff off on that one.

whats the best way to get the turbine tech/cpe combo without it costing an arm and a leg?

ice
    there are some re-sellers in the states who will sell CPE gear to australia...
    CP-E Products - EdgeAutosport.com is one i've dealt with
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    there are some re-sellers in the states who will sell CPE gear to australia...
    CP-E Products - EdgeAutosport.com is one i've dealt with
    +1 for Edge Autosport...
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    did you go with the dreadnaught 1 or 2?

i have the dreadnaught 2 and juggernaught and they are stiff as a perverts cock at a daycare centre!
    I assume I have the dreadnaught 1, because it's very different to the one they sell now. Can't say that I'm a fan of the newer design either. The aluminium is more brittle and the tongue and slot arrangement places the weakest part of the mount where the highest stresses occur. Looks like it could be a sheer point.

As luck would have it, I'm currently working on an investigation with a fellow who has a PhD in metallurgy. He was captive in my car for a couple of hours today while we drove to an accident site, so I picked his brains about my diff mount problem. He spoke about granular structure and cross-sectional modulus. It was all dutch to me but I managed to understand how to double the strength of the mount. So I'm confident that I made the right decision in repairing and strengthening the dreadnaught 1.

Gone to Volvo

Bit of a thread revival but saves starting a new one - did you guys get new rear diff bolts for fitting uprated parts?
    I have bought Cpe rear diff brace and a Sure juggernaught...

Also my Cpe diff brace came with no parts - on the website it shows 4xwashers/spacers...
    I pressume I'll need to buy some?
    Any more input would be appreciated

Cpe website pic:

my recieved part: (bought from MSF as new condition unused)

Versatune, BNR turbo, 3" catted downpipe, HTP 3" turbo inlet, CPE diff brace/intercooler/intake/enginemount/towplate, Autotech fuel pump, Sure juggernaught, Eibach springs, oil/boost gauges, JBR EGR delete/catch can/Wheel spacers, Corksport boost tubes/rad cap/strut brace/clutch line, NGK iridium IX Plugs, De-cat&custom exhaust, Turbosmart BPV, VG Sharkfin, Snow stage 2 meth with aquamist jet/parts
    301whp 341 lb/ft at the moment

if you bought it from a member on MSF, ask in the for sale thread/pm the seller, if that doesnt work, message raider, he'll help you out...

Seller said he never had any...
    I think they are to space out the bushing part if required - I will order up some stainless washers and hope for the best

good to know if you guys bought new bolts also - probably stupidly expensive from my local dealer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast