User Tag List

Thread: squirming under hard Braking

Default squirming under hard Braking

HI, my car likes to squirm under hard braking esp high speed braking. I put konis and mazdaspeed springs under it, helped but still doing it. i also have cermic brakes. just wondering if you guys have the same problem? or a fix for this?

cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    HI, my car likes to squirm under hard braking esp high speed braking. I put konis and mazdaspeed springs under it, helped but still doing it. i also have cermic brakes. just wondering if you guys have the same problem? or a fix for this?

cheers
    This is often the DSC and EBD doing it's thing, I believe. Have you tried replicating it (safely :-) with DSC disabled? (start car with DSC switch depressed).

It is normal to an extent.

Look hard at your alignment. If its a rear squirm, try a bit more toe in. Mind you, you have new springs in there, and I don't know how the weight transfer will affect it then. As the rear gets unloaded, it will walk around a bit.

Mind you, if you have also stuck a fair bit more neg camber through there, look at what happens under brakes (dive) as the weight pushes more force down at the front, and should splay your front wheels out a bit. So running zero toe at front or toe out, will make it less stable under brakes. Which is correct as the reason to do it in the first place is to aid turn in, and the easiest way to do that is to reduce lateral grip.

my car is stock and it doesn't do this at 130 - 140. around 190 it does. Like ted said all those factors affect it, along with tyre pressure and also road undulations can be messing around a bit with it

Blog Entries

All the stockers did this when I drove them on the release day at Willowbank....
    I'm sure you can tweak your suspension to minimize it but we were told that this is DSC + EBD working.

When i put the new shocks, springs in it got better. toe is at 2 mm in, on the front. it is teh back that squrims, i have to work real hard to keep it straight. esp when after a long straight 200ks +.. ( i can really recommend hawk cermic brakes dame they are good hot).

Is the squirm front or rear ? ? ?

Not good

Maybe take it into a local suspension place and get them to make sure all front and rear shocks are set up equal or at least not uneven

Everything checked... changed rear camber/toe. better .. i feel the DSC is doing a lot of it. you can feel it changing from wheel to wheel.... thought this was to help u stop not make it harder to keep in line ..lol..

eeeepppp!

12. Default

Cermic brakes?

tho my car is only a 2 it also likes to squirm under very heavy brakes it is fairly normal for a front wheel drive to do so on an uneven surface ie, cambered road etc my wheel alighnment is almost spot on and has done this since new try gear down etc to eliminate so much braking hope i have helped

SORRY my spelling could be better 'ceramic' brakes

i noticed squirming under brakes at mt cotton with DSC turned off under hard braking in very wet conditions, the EBD from what i can tell is not switchable, and every extreme braking circumstance in slippery conditions you can really feel it working, That said it has always pulled me up in a straight line.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    SORRY my spelling could be better 'ceramic' brakes
    Do you mean ceramic pads or discs?

Ceramic pads..