User Tag List

Thread: Tow Bar

Default Tow Bar

Has anyone had a tow bar fitted to a gen1 MPS3? When I enquired about one there was that much cutting of the rear bumper it would have looked like

What I said in CB (though u had left )

[13-01, 10:38] Jmac My friend has,but he isnt on here
    [13-01, 10:38] Jmac it ran UNDER the bumper and came up
    [13-01, 10:38] Jmac looked weird but it worked, not sure of the load rating though

I saw an AB MPS with one on it the other day.....And Jeevs has one for his jetski trailor flick him a PM

Thanks for your help Justin and Missy

Blog Entries

Moved to Tech Talk section

Be better off investing in a 4wd or ute that is suited to actually pulling something not just pushing its own weight. Can really be bad for some cars, especially if they car was never meant to be pulling a load, puts stress on everything.

If you do deicde make sure your not pulling anything bigger than a jetski

I would never dream of pulling my 18ft fibreglass reef boat with my GTiR, sure she's got the power but not meant for it
    "THE PATH OF THE GTI-R IS BESET WITH PERIL BY THE INJUSTICES OF THE SPEED CAMERA AND THE TYRANNY OF OTHER DRIVERS. BLESSED IS HE WHO OVERTAKES THE EVO & STI THROUGH THE VALLEY OF HAIRPIN TURNS, FOR HE IS TRULY HIS CAR'S TUNER AND THE FINDER OF LOST HORSEPOWER. . . AND WE SHALT STRIKE DOWN WITH GREAT BOOST AND FURIOUS ACCELERATION ON WHOEVER DOTH ATTEMPT TO OBSTRUCT OR DELAY OUR OVERTAKING. . .
    BMW M3 Evo Coming to the R stable soon. . .

My 3MPS has one. Sits just in under the rear spoiler, no cutting what so ever. Towbar then runs along the back of the spoiler, and then up and over and mounts onto the chassis rail.
    Has a removable tongue on it. Very solidly mounted suggesting it is probably a factory tow bar, and the load rating inside the door on the sticker says 900kg, and 90kg downward on the tow ball, and has Mazda in the Mazda font on the sticker.

Just took some photos (Digitial SLR isnt much good for under the car) so you can see the mounting points and the setup.

Misc - a set on Flickr

Hope that helps.

900Kg thats not a bad load rating. .

Thanks Nath. Was the tow bar on the car when you bought it?

Quote Originally Posted by LILZLR View Post
    Be better off investing in a 4wd or ute that is suited to actually pulling something not just pushing its own weight. Can really be bad for some cars, especially if they car was never meant to be pulling a load, puts stress on everything.

If you do decide make sure your not pulling anything bigger than a jetski

I would never dream of pulling my 18ft fibreglass reef boat with my GTiR, sure she's got the power but not meant for it
    I dont totally agree... Yes I dont have a MPS but with my sp23 I tow a 5m tinny (boat and trailer all up is 6.5m) and I have no real issues not even at the ramp .... depends on what you tow common sense kicks in here (i would not tow a 5m glass boat) ....though my boat is around the 6-700kg mark which is on normal limit of un-braked trailers fo ALL cars. Ensure it stays with in the recommended loads (as these are SWL) and you should have minimal or no issues. When I say minimal issues im referring to things like breaking; of course your breaking will have to be earlier due to added weight, Speed you should not exceed 80km/h (as per road rules) and your MPS will no longer be the rocket due to extra weight.

this is what I tow....

Back to your original question I have been told that the OEM SP23 towbar fits the mps (even though its not stated by mazda)....its still made for the mazda 3 hatch.
    Last edited by A Pirate; 27-01-2010 at 10:55 AM.
    MAZDA 3 SP23 : XFORCE : EIBACH : WHITELINE : AUTOEXE : CORKSPORT : KMAC : TWM : AFX :SCANGUAGE 2 : XHP : KUMO : CARBON PRODUCTS : AERO BODY STYLING : BLAUPUNKT : INFINITY : TOMTOM : SPARKSECRET.COM : MONZA : AERPRO : JBS Customs : FHRX EARTHING KIT : DYNAMATT : UNIDEN : RFI : iPOD : STINGER : REDLINE Tuning :

SUBARU FORESTER MY10 XT-P
    : TCP AUTO : HYPERFLOW : PERRIN : WHITELINE : STi : BREMBO : BEATRUSH : TURBOSMART : LENSO : PULSE RACING TUNE @ 182 AWKW

Quote Originally Posted by nath View Post
    My 3MPS has one. Sits just in under the rear spoiler, no cutting what so ever. Towbar then runs along the back of the spoiler, and then up and over and mounts onto the chassis rail.
    Has a removable tongue on it. Very solidly mounted suggesting it is probably a factory tow bar, and the load rating inside the door on the sticker says 900kg, and 90kg downward on the tow ball, and has Mazda in the Mazda font on the sticker.

Just took some photos (Digitial SLR isnt much good for under the car) so you can see the mounting points and the setup.

Misc - a set on Flickr

Hope that helps.
    Hey Nath, I am also looking to put a tow bar onto my MPS, to tow a small trailer. Did you get that done by Mazda? How much did it cost? Cheers, Fuz..
    FUZ - Black '06 Mazda 3 MPS
    ======================
    Visit BruiserFightWear.com.au for cool TAPOUT clothing

Quote Originally Posted by fuz View Post
    Hey Nath, I am also looking to put a tow bar onto my MPS, to tow a small trailer. Did you get that done by Mazda? How much did it cost? Cheers, Fuz..
    +1
    ^^^The message is up there stupid^^^

so whats a tow bar cost?

Sorry guys, been away from the forum for abit...

Towbar was on the car when I bought it from the dealer. So no real idea on costs etc. Not the hardest thing to fit yourself if you know how to do the wiring side of things.

Best give the dealer a call and see what they say. Id guess a SP23 would be the same as the MPS.

Sorry guys, been away from the forum for abit...

Towbar was on the car when I bought it from the dealer. So no real idea on costs etc. Not the hardest thing to fit yourself if you know how to do the wiring side of things.

Best give the dealer a call and see what they say. Id guess a SP23 would be the same as the MPS.
    As per your PM Nathan, The towbar is a genuine mazda towbar, rated to 900kg. BT-13TB-STD is on the sticker.

Now guys, lets see if we can get them

Hi Nath,

I was wondering if you still had some pics of this towbar setup? The link to Flickr appears to be broken?

Misc - a set on Flickr

Hope that helps.

Do pics of a GENII setup interest you?

18. Default

I know this its an old thread but thought I'd ask if anyone was successful??? Pm me please if your from syd

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk