User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIIIDE wheels

1. Default

Just thought I'd drop in and let you know how I've progressed. I decided to pass on the 18x8.5 +50 wheels that I was originally looking at. I was looking at a set of Rota 18x8 +45/+48 wheels (and possibly 18x8.5 +45/+48) or Lenso DC5 18x8, but came across some RX8 18x8 +50 wheels at a fair price. One wheel is pretty much perfect but the other three have got a bit of gutter rash so I'm looking at options of fixing them myself. If I get too bored with the RX8 wheels, I'll go back to aftermarket.

Thanks very much to all for your help and I'll see if I can post some photos soon.

Cheers,
    Rick.

If the spokes aren't scratched, life will be so much cheaper for you. You can clean just the lips with a file or 4/5" sander.

If the spokes are scratched, you'll be needing some bog/primer and some paint. Or a paint/panel shop.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    If the spokes aren't scratched, life will be so much cheaper for you. You can clean just the lips with a file or 4/5" sander.

If the spokes are scratched, you'll be needing some bog/primer and some paint. Or a paint/panel shop.
    Fortunately the spokes are perfect. It's the lips that hit the gutter. Here are 5 photos of the 3 wheels with damage (you might need to click to zoom) - Wheel 1 & 2 are worst, Wheel 3 is minor and Wheel 4 escaped without injury.

I was hoping to get away with hand/block sanding and touch-up paint but I'm not sure how to go about it yet. Searching, searching... ... ...

Wheel 1

Wheel 1 close-up

Wheel 2 top

Wheel 2 bottom

Wheel 3

Yes, that is minor.

does anyone know a good guard rolling place in brisbane,

im getting a set of ADVAN RS next week in 18x8 +45 with 235s so im thinking i will definately have to get the back done, the car is not lowered so it might be ok ?

any thoughts ?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by heath_303 View Post
    does anyone know a good guard rolling place in brisbane,

im getting a set of advan rs next week in 18x8 +45 with 235s so im thinking i will definately have to get the back done, the car is not lowered so it might be ok ?

Any thoughts ?
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Mazda3 View Post
    +1

what wheels did u end up getting, i got mine in gunmetal with 235/40/18s ADVAN Neova should be a killer setup, the wheels are 7.7kg

does anyone know the weight of the stock MPS3 rims?

8. Default

what wheels did u end up getting, i got mine in gunmetal with 235/40/18s ADVAN Neova should be a killer setup, the wheels are 7.7kg

I picked up some RX8 wheels but they have some gutter rash - they're the ones in the photos above - silver colour (not sure of the correct colour name).

I was still keen on a set of Rotas or Lenso DC5 wheels but I'll see if I get bored with the RX8 wheels first.

well i have a set of 235/40/18s and 18x8 +45

the scrubbing is annoying, so im getting the guards rolled at the moment, i can tell you that i run stock suspension and it rubs heaps !

i could only drive it for a few minutes from the tyre shop to the panel shop, even just accelerating hard will cause it to rub when changing gears !

however the offset and width looks really tuff and i just hope i can delete this scrubbing !

10. Default

well i have a set of 235/40/18s and 18x8 +45

the scrubbing is annoying, so im getting the guards rolled at the moment, i can tell you that i run stock suspension and it rubs heaps !

i could only drive it for a few minutes from the tyre shop to the panel shop, even just accelerating hard will cause it to rub when changing gears !

however the offset and width looks really tuff and i just hope i can delete this scrubbing !
    I had my RX8 wheels with 235/40/18 tyres fitted on the weekend. Done at least 100km driving so far. No rubbing on standard suspension. But I do have +50 offset compared to your +45.

Standing at the back of the car and looking down the side, the front tyres sit just inside or inline with the front guard, while the rears easily sit inside. I checked the front strut clearance (the closest point is the wheel, not the tyre) and there was still room (I'll need to get some measurements). I haven't checked the rear strut clearance yet, but looking at the rear tyres and guards, I should easily be able to fit some 245s on the rear. Now that would look tough! Front 215/40 & Rear 245/35 would be a good match for tyre height (172mm & 171.5mm respectively).

11. Default

stock rims are about 10 kg
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

I had my RX8 wheels with 235/40/18 tyres fitted on the weekend. Done at least 100km driving so far. No rubbing on standard suspension. But I do have +50 offset compared to your +45.

Standing at the back of the car and looking down the side, the front tyres sit just inside or inline with the front guard, while the rears easily sit inside. I checked the front strut clearance (the closest point is the wheel, not the tyre) and there was still room (I'll need to get some measurements). I haven't checked the rear strut clearance yet, but looking at the rear tyres and guards, I should easily be able to fit some 245s on the rear. Now that would look tough! Front 215/40 & Rear 245/35 would be a good match for tyre height (172mm & 171.5mm respectively).

if anything id want that extra width on the front, traction for the win !

i really wanted a nice offset that would sit nice and flush with the guard but i didn't expect it to rub every time i change gears under hard acceleration, once these guards are finished being rolled i think i will be fine at stock height but then i also want to go and lower my car with eibach springs and Bilstein struts so i think im destined for scrubbing

col runs 245s and gets the rears rubbing even with guards rolled, but he is lowered and said it only happens on big bumps, does anyone here run 235/40/18 with +45 offset and lowered, can they comment on scrubbing with guards rolled ?
    Last edited by heath_303; 01-02-2010 at 10:07 AM.

13. Default

I have 18x8 + 45 offset with 235 tyres not lowered, it rubbed on the rears on sharp bumps. Had a friend who put the RX8 rims on his MPS6 about the same time so the +50 offset and he didnt get rubbing. So the extra 5mm is what just tips it over the edge and needs you to get your rear guards rolled. when you looked at the tyre it was only about 2 mm that was rubbing so maybe it would be ok once lowered
    Last edited by blackbetty; 01-02-2010 at 10:25 AM.

...did someone say ADVAN RS?? I think I just jizzed in my pantz

yeah dude i cant wait for the center caps and getting these guards done, i will post a heap of pics when its all done.

Wheel Scuff Repair - Nissan 350Z & 370Z Wiki - tried this once and it worked a treat.

17. Default

I have also included my measurements:
    FRONT
    20mm - Front inside
    5mm - Front outside
    240mm - Guard to strut
    160mm - Gaurd to lower coil seat
    80mm - Lower coil seat to strut
    180mm - Hub face to strut
    105mm - Hub face to lower coil seat
    55mm - Hub face to guard
    605mm - Tyre height (when under vehicle load)
    635mm - Lower coil seat height
    30mm - Travel height
    REAR
    30mm - Rear inside
    30mm - Rear outside
    265mm - Guard to strut
    265mm - Gaurd to lower coil seat
    0mm - Lower coil seat to strut
    190mm - Hub face to strut
    190mm - Hub face to lower coil seat
    75mm - Hub face to guard
    605mm - Tyre height (when under vehicle load)
    675mm - Lower coil seat height
    70mm - Travel height

EDIT (Feb 1): The following measurements are based on my newly fitted RX8 wheels 18x8 +50 with 235/40/18 tyres.
    FRONT
    12mm - Front inside (was 20mm)
    0mm - Front outside (was 5mm)

REAR
    16mm - Rear inside (was 30mm)
    13mm - Rear outside (was 30mm)

Current wheels: 16x6.5 +52.5, 205/55/16. The weird thing is that I measured the wheels from inside rim to outside rim/face and it was 192.5mm, which is ~7.5" (the rim width is supposed to be measured from the inside of the rim but this should make that much difference - maybe 10mm/0.5"?) But the wheel definitely has 16x6.5 OFFSET 52.5 stamped on it.
    I have updated my measurements as indicated above and included it in the original post so others can find all the information in one post.

Wiiide-wheels#post85089

so im guessing after reading this 18x8.5 +30 with rolled guards/dumped on coils will not fit mazda3 mps?

Quote Originally Posted by Bankai View Post
    so im guessing after reading this 18x8.5 +30 with rolled guards/dumped on coils will not fit mazda3 mps?
    It will, depending on the height.

Check out Whiteminx's ride. 18x9 from memory.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

thanks interesting its lowered half finger gap atm on stockies

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast