User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIIIDE wheels

1. Default

well I have 18x8+45 offset with 235/40 tyres and that fits. I did need my rear guards rolled which rubbed on sharp bumps
    Last edited by blackbetty; 12-01-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: dyslexia

I replied and I have RX8 wheels.

Re: the wheel spacers.

As said, you would be very close regarding fitment for the front. The rears would most likely be fine.

I run 3mm spacers on the front (yes, I know, illegal), but I have aftermarket coil-overs.
    Last edited by 2XS; 12-01-2010 at 07:53 PM.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    well I have 18x8+45 offset with 235/40 tyres and that fits. I did need my rear guards rolled which rubbed on sharp bumps
    Thanks for your reply. Sounds like a popular setup from what I've read although I didn't particularly want to roll the guards, but I'll keep it in mind.

Cheers,
    Rick.

My gaurds aren't rolled and I have no scrubbing issues. I didn't think it would be of relavance.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I replied and I have RX8 wheels.

Re: the wheel spacers.

As said, you would be very close regarding fitment for the front. The rears would most likely be fine.

I run 3mm spacers on the front (yes, I know, illegal), but I have aftermarket coil-overs.
    Thanks also for your reply.

So it's going to be close... I might see if I can arrange a trial fit.

Did you only fit the spaces because of the coil-overs?
    Do you know (or could you measure) the suspension and guard clearances with your RX8 wheels (front & rear)? That way I can use some real data with an offset calculator.

My gaurds aren't rolled and I have no scrubbing issues. I didn't think it would be of relavance.
    The exact reason why I was looking for a set of RX8 wheels

Cheers,
    Rick.
    Last edited by Mazda3; 12-01-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Yes, the spacers are only because of the coil-overs.

I have approx. 5mm front and rear from the edge of the rim to the outside of the gaurds.

With the offset, you can have the rim outside the gaurd, but not the tread of the tyres. Don't quote me as 100% correct, but, I'm sure that's the terminology used for the clearance laws. Also check that the track doesn't change outside legal approval too.

I have 330mm front and 350mm rear rim to gaurd.

"Rim to Gaurd" is the common measurement for height. Kings etc. use this method. It is measured from the centre of the rim to the inside edge of the gaurd/wheel arch.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

7. Default

I have approx. 5mm front and rear from the edge of the rim to the outside of the gaurds.

I have 330mm front and 350mm rear rim to gaurd.

Probably a bit tough getting in there, but any chance on inside/suspension clearance as this is going to be the close one!

So space from tyre to guard would be about 7mm front and 27mm rear (based on 235/40s).

5mm offset is looking from the top.

I just measured it, the rim to gaurd is 345mm all round. Tyre to gaurd (looking from the side) is about 15mm.

I'll get some pics and measurements tomorrow if I can.

They should fit!

10. Default

5mm offset is looking from the top.

I just measured it, the rim to gaurd is 345mm all round. Tyre to gaurd (looking from the side) is about 15mm.

I'll get some pics and measurements tomorrow if I can.
    I'm guessing with standard suspension and no spacers, you'd still have 5mm clearance.
    So, I was thinking that if you had 5mm clearance on both the inside and outside with 8" wheels, then an 8.5" wide wheel wouldn't fit because it's an extra 6.4mm wide on both the inside and outside, which is more than the stated 5mm clearance.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE...
    I just realised (thinking/hoping) that your clearances are measured to the outer most projection of the tyres. If that's the case, AND you're running 235/40s (the same as I already have) then...
    we shouldn't worry so much about the wheel width but care more about the tyre width. Since the tyre size is the same AND the offset is the same (+50), then the clearance should be the same!!! Perhaps a further positive in my favour would be that my 235/40s would be stretched moreso over an 8.5" wheel (than yours over an 8" wheel) thus providing me with an extra couple mm of clearance.

What do you think....

Rick.

I was measuring off the rims.

I'll get some more in detail measurements today.

My tyres are the original 215/45.

Rear right inside: 24-25mm: It looks like 20mm, but, it's on a slight angle.

Rear right outside, from above: 6-7mm.

Right front inside: 6mm? I had to use my phone.

Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Nice coilovers there troy

14. Default

My tyres are the original 215/45.

Rear right inside: 24-25mm: It looks like 20mm, but, it's on a slight angle.
    Rear right outside, from above: 6-7mm.

Right front inside: 6mm? I had to use my phone.
    I have approx. 5mm front and rear from the edge of the rim to the outside of the gaurds
    Thanks Troy.
    I've summarised your measurements here:
    6mm - Front inside (3mm spacers & coilovers - same as 18x8 +47 ? - even so, probably still be 6mm with standard struts and no spacers)
    5mm - Front outside
    20mm - Rear inside
    6mm - Rear outside

Based on this, and since your measurements were to the wheel, I'm not sure that 18x8.5 +50 wheels will fit - they're 6.5mm wider on both the inside and outside, which means they'd scrub on the strut on probably on the guard. After fitting a 235/40 tyre, it would be even wider again.

That being said, I've found the following wheel/tyre combinations from the mazdas247 site, which confirms what you said in your first post about 18x8.5 +45 being possible (depending on the tyre size).
    Mazda Forums - View Single Post - MS3 Wheel Fitment Pics & Specs!
    Rota Grid 18x8.5 +44, 235/40/18
    coilovers
    not rolled, rubbed VERY few times. only going over BIG bumps WITH passengers in the rear and luggage
    tyres sit flush and don't stick out at all
    Rota G-Force 18x8.5 +48?, 225/40/18
    not lowered, no rubbing at all
    The following would imply that 18x8.5 +50 with 235/40s would not fit. There is only 6.3mm clearance with the 225/45s below. My +50 offset would reduce the clearance to 4.3mm and the extra tyre width would reduce the clearance to -0.7mm
    Rota SVN's 18x8.5 +48, 225/45/18
    not rolled, no rubbing at all on stock suspension
    Closest clearance was the inside of the fronts to the strut. Approx 1/4" (6.3mm)
    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...3/100_2800.jpg
    I have also included my measurements:
    FRONT
    20mm - Front inside
    5mm - Front outside
    240mm - Guard to strut
    160mm - Gaurd to lower coil seat
    80mm - Lower coil seat to strut
    180mm - Hub face to strut
    105mm - Hub face to lower coil seat
    55mm - Hub face to guard
    605mm - Tyre height (when under vehicle load)
    635mm - Lower coil seat height
    30mm - Travel height
    REAR
    30mm - Rear inside
    30mm - Rear outside
    265mm - Guard to strut
    265mm - Gaurd to lower coil seat
    0mm - Lower coil seat to strut
    190mm - Hub face to strut
    190mm - Hub face to lower coil seat
    75mm - Hub face to guard
    605mm - Tyre height (when under vehicle load)
    675mm - Lower coil seat height
    70mm - Travel height

EDIT (Feb 1): The following measurements are based on my newly fitted RX8 wheels 18x8 +50 with 235/40/18 tyres.
    FRONT
    12mm - Front inside (was 20mm)
    0mm - Front outside (was 5mm)

REAR
    16mm - Rear inside (was 30mm)
    13mm - Rear outside (was 30mm)

Current wheels: 16x6.5 +52.5, 205/55/16. The weird thing is that I measured the wheels from inside rim to outside rim/face and it was 192.5mm, which is ~7.5" (the rim width is supposed to be measured from the inside of the rim but this should make that much difference - maybe 10mm/0.5"?) But the wheel definitely has 16x6.5 OFFSET 52.5 stamped on it.

As a comparison, I took one of the 16" wheels off the car and measured the tyres - the 205/55 is 620mm high (as opposed to 605 when under vehicle load) and 215-220mm wide when fitted to the wheel. My unfitted 235/40 is 635mm high and 250mm wide! These measurements are to the outermost project of the tyre wall, since that is what would rub on the strut housing. It looks like in both cases, the wheels are about 15mm wider than the specified tyre size and compresses about15mm under vehicle load. Just thought it might be useful for someone.
    An 8" wheel is 204mm and an 8.5" wheel is 216mm.

So, again, just going on the measured width of the 235/40 at 250mm, it won't fit without sticking outside the guard. I'm so confused

Maybe, I'll just look for a set of 18x8 +45 to +50 - seems like what a lot of people are running anyway. Here are a few comments that I've found:
    19x8.5 +38, 235/35/19, sits 10mm outside of the wheel arch
    18x8 +45, 235/40/18, no rubbing, rear rolled, not lowered
    18x8 +45, 225/40/18, no rubbing, not rolled
    18x7.5 +45, 235/40/18, no rubbing, not rolled, lowered 1-1.5"
    18x7.5 +52, 235/40/18, no rubbing
    18x7.5 +42, 225/40/18, no rubbing, lowered

FYI, here are the Queensland Transport rules
    http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/reso..._vehicles2.pdf

• The rim diameter may be varied from the standard size but the overall diameter of the tyre must not vary by more than +15mm or -26mm.
    • The tyre to rim fitting and the tyre to rim combination must be in accordance with the Tyre and Rim Standards Manual published by the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia. Reputable tyre retailers should have this information and be able to advise on the correct combinations.
    • The fitting of spacers or adaptors between wheels and hubs, additional to those provided by the vehicle manufacturer, is not permitted. The tyre and rim must not foul wheel arches or suspension components under any conditions. Steering limit stops must not be adjusted to reduce the turning circle in order to allow the fitting of the alternative rims and tyres.
    • The maximum tyre width for a car or car derivative must not be more than 1.3 times the vehicle manufacturer’s widest optional tyre.
    • The nominal width of the narrowest tyre fitted to a vehicle must not be less than 70 per cent of the nominal width of the largest tyre fitted and never less than the vehicle manufacturer’s narrowest optional tyre as indicated on the manufacturer’s tyre placard.
    • The wheel track must not be reduced to less than the standard track specified by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model of vehicle.
    • The track of a car or car derivative may be increased by up to 26mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model of vehicle.
    Last edited by Mazda3; 01-02-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

wow my head hurts after reading that. Good luck.

Let us all know how you go.

Quote Originally Posted by tigamica350 View Post
    wow my head hurts after reading that. Good luck.

Let us all know how you go.
    +1

Nice research/essay
    "THE PATH OF THE GTI-R IS BESET WITH PERIL BY THE INJUSTICES OF THE SPEED CAMERA AND THE TYRANNY OF OTHER DRIVERS. BLESSED IS HE WHO OVERTAKES THE EVO & STI THROUGH THE VALLEY OF HAIRPIN TURNS, FOR HE IS TRULY HIS CAR'S TUNER AND THE FINDER OF LOST HORSEPOWER. . . AND WE SHALT STRIKE DOWN WITH GREAT BOOST AND FURIOUS ACCELERATION ON WHOEVER DOTH ATTEMPT TO OBSTRUCT OR DELAY OUR OVERTAKING. . .
    BMW M3 Evo Coming to the R stable soon. . .

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mazda3 View Post
    I've PM'd You Lose - he has 245/35/18 on 18x8 wheels. Offset???
    Just as an update, Col has +45 offset, lowered with coil-overs, rear guards rolled & pumped, rubs with passengers in the back.
    He also mentioned that if you go wider than 8" on the front, the steering lock to lock is reduced.

Smile Same coil-overs as 2xs !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mazda3 View Post
    Just as an update, Col has +45 offset, lowered with coil-overs, rear guards rolled & pumped, rubs with passengers in the back.
    He also mentioned that if you go wider than 8" on the front, the steering lock to lock is reduced.
    I have the same coil-overs as 2XS and I don't have spacers ROH assure me my wheels /tyres are legal , another point worth considering insurance companies check wheels and tyres legality to void claims . My wheels are 3 piece modular ,I could have any offset or width I like theoretically but ROH say that I have the maximum legal width for a mps gen 1 they advised against 19 /20 inch wheels for 3 reasons , added weight , increased tyre cost and poorer ride over all with no actual performance gain .

Col
    THE COLON FILES
    Coming soon

Anything bigger than a 19" rim looses;

A). Performance

B). Ride comfort

C). Rim Life, to run 19s you would need to run a profile of 35 or less, a tyre with a profile of such has no or minimal tyre wall = tyre will outlast rim

D). Cost . .. $400+ for a decent tyre to suite 19s

18s look great on the MPS
    "THE PATH OF THE GTI-R IS BESET WITH PERIL BY THE INJUSTICES OF THE SPEED CAMERA AND THE TYRANNY OF OTHER DRIVERS. BLESSED IS HE WHO OVERTAKES THE EVO & STI THROUGH THE VALLEY OF HAIRPIN TURNS, FOR HE IS TRULY HIS CAR'S TUNER AND THE FINDER OF LOST HORSEPOWER. . . AND WE SHALT STRIKE DOWN WITH GREAT BOOST AND FURIOUS ACCELERATION ON WHOEVER DOTH ATTEMPT TO OBSTRUCT OR DELAY OUR OVERTAKING. . .
    BMW M3 Evo Coming to the R stable soon. . .

Blog Entries

Second that. +48 or +45 offset at a minimum. 8.5" wide I'm willing to bet will be a clearance problem because even 215/45 on 18x8+48 is known to rub (rarely) and I've had one rub event on 18x7.5+48 with 225/45.....

Quote Originally Posted by LILZLR View Post
    Anything bigger than a 19" rim looses;

A). Performance

B). Ride comfort

C). Rim Life, to run 19s you would need to run a profile of 35 or less, a tyre with a profile of such has no or minimal tyre wall = tyre will outlast rim

D). Cost . .. $400+ for a decent tyre to suite 19s

18s look great on the MPS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast