User Tag List

Thread: Excessive vibration with AC on

Cool Excessive vibration with AC on

Without question the best mod I have done was swap out the crappy old rear engine mount for the 95duro medieval mount. I remember the day. It was a complete transformation (fantastic ). It felt like I had an extra 30hp atw. The vibes were a bit harsh at first but they settled down and I hardly even notice them now.....except for when the AC is on . It's like the compressor creates a resonant frequency which reverberates throught the whole car and most annoyingly throught the clutch pedal. If I lived in Melbourne still i wouldn't care so much but in Cairns you have the AC on for 70% of the year. Anyone else had similar issues with aftermarket mounts and the AC? Any tips for reducing the vibes from the compressor?
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

I've got the SU engine mount in my 6; have the same vibrating issues. The vibration is slight at idle with no AC, and quite noticable at idle with AC on. Also noticable when revs drop below idle - ie letting out the clutch on a soft launch. Only thing I can suggest is rev the car a little. If I rev to 1100-1200rpm when sitting at traffic lights etc with AC on, the vibration disappears.

I was gonna suggest the same thing as Nick, if you ever get a tune, have the idle speed raised to about 950 rpm.

Vibrations with the AC on don't settle until about 1100rpm and would have thought that was a bit high to raise the idle? With AC off it's fine. That's why I was thinking I could maybe use some sort of a dampener on the compressor braket or something?

I had the CP-e one in mine for about a year. Like you I initially felt the improvements were worth the extra vibrations, but eventually the benefits went away (or at least I got used to them) and I was left with nothing but the extra vibrations. It got to the point I felt embarrassed by the vibrations when others were in the car. When I had my exhaust fitted, I asked that the stock mount be replaced (and the CP-e stiff diff mount installed). I have not looked back since and love how non-vibratey(sp) things are now. IMO the rear mount is a mod I would advise most people to avoid - I haven't even attempted to sell my aftermarket one.

Note: Yes I did know about the higher revs workaround, but to me it just seemed like extra work for no gains.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    I had the CP-e one in mine for about a year. Like you I initially felt the improvements were worth the extra vibrations, but eventually the benefits went away (or at least I got used to them) and I was left with nothing but the extra vibrations. It got to the point I felt embarrassed by the vibrations when others were in the car. When I had my exhaust fitted, I asked that the stock mount be replaced (and the CP-e stiff diff mount installed). I have not looked back since and love how non-vibratey(sp) things are now. IMO the rear mount is a mod I would advise most people to avoid - I haven't even attempted to sell my aftermarket one.

Note: Yes I did know about the higher revs workaround, but to me it just seemed like extra work for no gains.
    Stiff diff mount hey. Sorry I can't say that without smiling (not very mature I know :-)
    I hadn't heard of this mod. Interesting. Thanks for the tip. I still wouldn't go back to the stock mount in hurry though.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids