User Tag List

Thread: 2009 Cars Guide Car Of The Year - VW Golf

Default 2009 Cars Guide Car Of The Year - VW Golf

I am somewhat suprised that Mazda didn't get more of a "talking up".

Volkswagen Golf. It's as simple as that in the final judgment for Carsguide Car of the Year in 2009.

The Mercedes-Benz E Class is good, the Ford Fiesta is better, but the Golf is best of all from more than 100 new cars that landed in Australia over the past year.

After an intensive two-day test program, based in Brisbane and including everything from freeways and country roads to a hit-out at the Lakeside racetrack, the Golf emerged as the first choice with six of the nine COTY judges. They assessed the German hatchback and its rivals for everything from value and safety to fuel economy, ride, handling and quality.

The Golf's final margin, with cars scored 10-1 by each judge, was an 86-78 point victory over the Fiesta, with the Mercedes-Benz third on 63. Despite its green credentials, the hybrid Toyota Prius finished last with only 15 points.

The Fiesta might have been runner-up in the Carsguide COTY contest but it also scooped a win for 2009 when it took the Green Car of the Year award. The Golf tested for the COTY contest was the 1.4-litre twincharger model with a DSG manu-matic gearbox. It is priced at $32,990 but the Golf range starts at $25,990.

"Not too hot, not too cold and, crucially, not too expensive," says Kevin Hepworth of the Daily Telegraph. But some cars were not rated so highly, including the super-quick Nissan GT-R that was only placed eighth.

"Sure, it’s an engineering and technological tour-de-force, but it’s impossible to live with. And you can’t get past the fact that the brute is just plain ugly," says Karla Pincott of Carsguide.com.au.

The final field for Carsguide COTY 2009 was loaded with affordable, real-world cars including the popular Mazda3, the mid-sized Subaru Liberty, the Hyundai i30CW station wagon — sister to the i30 that won COTY in 2007 — and the compact Holden Cruze that will go into local production in Adelaide next year.

What the judges said
    Paul Gover, national motoring editor: The right car won. The Golf was voted World Car of the Year when it landed in Europe and now it has claimed the big prize in Australia. I was surprised by the poor showing of the Prius, but it was shown up as a car — not a science experiment — in this field.

Kevin Hepworth: Daily Telegraph, Sydney: The E is all class. Outside the price range of most people but what you get for your money is a taste of the good life with automotive best practice. Fast, furious and a technological battleship but … the GT-R would be the hardest of any of the finalists to live with on a day-to-day basis, even if you managed to keep your license.

Neil Dowling, Sunday Times, Perth: In a world of rapid change, Volkswagen stood back and reappraised its family hatchback. Changes to the Golf appear small yet the car is far better built, technologically breathtaking and has driving characteristics and safety beyond its pricetag. The Prius is a highly-advanced car that showcases Toyota's ability to bridge technologies of the past and future. Clever, but too far too fast.

Stuart Martin, Adelaide Advertiser: Golf feels solid and completes its designated tasks with German efficiency and even a little bit of flair. While it didn’t end up in the top spot on my votes, Godzilla proved to be greater than the sum of its parts, both on the track (where it is king) and on the road.

Keith Didham, Hobart Mercury: At the end of the day, it's the Mercedes Benz E250 I would be happy owning. It won't appeal to all and it has its shortcomings in what's offered as standard equipment, but it's so sweet to drive, has the solid quality and safety you expect from this brand and is superbly comfortable. As much as I love the raw grunt and seat of your pants handling, the GT-R doesn't cut it for me. Great concept but poor execution."

Mark Hinchliffe, Courier Mail, Brisbane: The Fiesta is a surprise package. Splendid handling, cutesy looks and an accommodating interior. I'd own one. Who would have thought a Daewoo-sourced Holden would make it to our top 10? A couple of suspension, steering and brake tweaks and the Cruze could be a more serious contender.

Neil McDonald, Herald Sun, Melbourne: The GT-R has sensational power and handling but this Japanese supercar is better on the track than the road. My favourite is the Fiesta, which has inherently good dynamics, impressive packaging and contemporary styling to give it a distinct edge over the competition.

Karla Pincott, Carsguide.com.au: The Golf is pricier than other cars its size, but for that money it offers a lot of more of everything, and it’s simply more fun to be with. If you weigh up value for money and then add bang for the buck, this is a clear stand-out. The E Class is a beautifully-built package, well thought-out, safe, solid and smooth to drive. But you go cold once you look at the price tag – and how the tag grows once you start adding options that should be standard.

Bruce McMahon, Courier Mail, Brisbane: The little Fiesta is a charmer, cheap and cheerful with a great chassis. Sure there are some edges a little unrefined and maybe the style lines won’t last forever but the baby Ford is one safe and sure package full of character. Toyota's Prius may be a step in the right direction but there are many more steps to take. It is expensive, fuel consumption can be matched by Euro-diesels and it is out of its depth on roads beyond city streets and freeways.

The final count

1. Volkswagen Golf — 86 points
    2. Ford Fiesta — 78 points
    3. Mercedes-Benz E Class — 73 points
    4. Subaru Liberty — 63 points
    5. Mazda3 — 49 points
    6. Volvo XC60 — 38 points
    7. Hyundai i30 CW — 36 points
    8. Nissan GT-R — 30 points
    9. Holden Cruze — 27 points
    10. Toyota Prius — 15 points

Previous COTY winners

2008 Ford Falcon FG
    2007 Hyundai i30
    2006 Holden Commodore VE
    2005 Suzuki Swift
    2004 Ford Territory
    2003 Honda Accord Euro
    2002 Ford Falcon BA
    2001 Holden Monaro
    2000 Mercedes-Benz C-Class
    1999 Toyota Echo
    1998 Holden Astra
    1997 Holden Commodore VT
    Source: Carsguide.com.au
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

the gulfs r a well rounded total package. they r finished off well

A lot of people think the Golf is made in Germany. Its actually made in South Africa.

4. Default

Golfs are so overrated

You are right Mellisa. I test drove one a couple of years ago and the pedals were offset too much to the left, you had to sit like a crab!

People are complaining that you can't turn DSC completely off in the new Golf too :P

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    A lot of people think the Golf is made in Germany. Its actually made in South Africa.
    That it correct. Parts come from all sorts of weird places to. Mexico, ukraine, bratislava or whatever it's called. They look well finished but if there anything like the previous model the trims will start peeling after a year or two. Engine sensors fail. Mazda build quality is far superior.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

Golf is a waste of a walk and its in disrepute since Tigers mister-meaner...

Oh your talking about those crappy krout cars..

Well they are both the same as each other all hipe and show and are disappointing

Funny - I think we are all a bit biased.

Comments on other cars always give me a good chuckle, in a lot of cases it's just hearsay.

I recently drove a new 2.0 litre Golf Diesel - WOW - killing factor is cost, not good value for money. A sensational car to drive, but at $44,000 without on road costs a bit pricey compared to a new MPS 3 luxury at $45,788 drive away.

MPS would win every time, but doesn't detract from the fact that the golf, at least the one I drove was a bloody brilliant car.

then go drive a new Mazda 3 diesel Russ and gives us a comparison..

bias I call it oneyed.....

11. Default

actually Russel I want you to go test drive a Diesel 6 and let me know what u think

It was a no brainer, good price, good look and well finished..., if they thought the GTR was ugly there would have been no word to describe the Mazda3

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    actually Russel I want you to go test drive a Diesel 6 and let me know what u think
    Next time I get to Orange I will have a chat with Ben Davis - John Davis Motors good bloke and see if I can get a drive of both the 6 & 3 Diesel.

Last time I was talking to Ben Davis he told me if a good MPS6 get's traded he will keep it. Brad saw Ben driving a very nice looking red MPS6 in Orange a couple of days ago - CX7 20" wheels, roof rack and his own designe bonnet stripes "MPS 2.3 turbo". The same as the stripes he had on my MPS6 that I got taken off before I took delivery.

i never driven a VW Golf... why would u?!!!........ mazdas are perfect.... i have had other cars and only a mazda has not disappionted me. im not the nicest driver on my car ( I DONT FLOG THEM) and mazdas love driven hard .

I test drove the Gti mkVI before my recent purchase of the MPS. I drove them on the same day and the mazda felt sooo much better to me. the torque is uncomparable. Yes the Golf has a better interior. But its not like the mps's is crap. The golf is more of an old mans car. But that all comes down to personal taste i guess.

Mazda are a top car, and my car is my pride and joy, but the biggest let down is after purchase support and service. For this reason I will never buy another Mazda. The service teams at the 2 dealers I've been to are absolutely useless. Not sure if any other manufacturer dealers are different, but I rather test the unchartered waters than be silly enough to go back and get my ass raped by Mazda again. VW is my next option. Unbiased enough?