Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old unmarked vans to be converted to covert speed cameras

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

Default okie dokie

Ha ha ha Fair enough.

Blog Entries

Default Relevant

Pregnant teen loses baby hours after horror Phillip Island crash | News.com.au

Comments on this story
    Mona of Sydney Posted at 11:24 AM Today
    I always see trucks driving too fast, overtaking dangerously. For truck overtaking shouldn't be allowed. The other point, I don't understand, that parents can teach their children how to drive. I mean, parents pass their "mistakes" to the children. In Germany you've to visit a driving school. It's not cheap, but worth it. Licence with 18 (with 17years driving only in companie of Parent now). I've learnt a lot from the teacher, how to drive in dangerous situation (night/ice/fog/heavy rain). No parent will think of teaching that. I am happy that my parents had not to teach me, they are not good drivers. I've my licence now for 22 years - no accident. Other point in Australia - bad roads! Highway Sydney-Brisbane for example. You drive through small towns, round-abouts....that's a joke! It is always a big risk. Every big city here should be reached by a real excellent road network. In Europe we've our Autobahns, less accidents (compared to volume), you can reach every big city without driving direct trough villages.... Dorry, but here it is like third world country. The politicans talk talk....where is all the tax going? Build better and more secure road network!

I just read thru all of the posts and we have have some very talented and cluey members....but there is one thing that was over looked and that was at least the Police are using an old MAZDA Eseries van

My answer to not getting a speeding ticket.

Dont speed when you seen any type of VAN on the side of the road.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post
    My answer to not getting a speeding ticket.

Dont speed when you seen any type of VAN on the side of the road.

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    How many points you got left dug
    Alcohol - Some Of The Best Times, You Will Never Remember

I must admit I surprised I haven't received a bluey in the mail when I was up on hols as I saw one on the M1 as I was coming back from meeting Dan for lunch...and I might have been doing a touch over the limit..

Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    How many points you got left dug
    Never been busted by a speed camera yet....

All my points were taken by actual police cars...

So...maybe more police presence on the road is the answer.

And...for the record..i actually have 16 points...as you start with 0 and accumulate demerit points.

Im now on 1 golden point for 12 months

Happy Motoring
    duglet

as far as i am concerned it is revenue raising and being done in more and more sly ways. how does a hidden speed camera stop an accident from happening. the car goes past the camera speeding a picture is taken and the fine is sent to u a month or so later. what if the car has a accident down the road and fatalities occur. at least when u got pulled over by a radar or physically by the police then u knew u were caught and made u make more of a conscious effort to slow down

Quote Originally Posted by TheJunglist View Post
    as far as i am concerned it is revenue raising and being done in more and more sly ways. how does a hidden speed camera stop an accident from happening. the car goes past the camera speeding a picture is taken and the fine is sent to u a month or so later. what if the car has a accident down the road and fatalities occur. at least when u got pulled over by a radar or physically by the police then u knew u were caught and made u make more of a conscious effort to slow down
    I agree Phil, but I think the main idea behind this is to act as a 'deterent'. If people don't know what to look for then they will be slightly more weary about speeding, at the very least drop a few km's off there travel speed.

At the end of the day, this isn't the final solution. I think tougher fines, more so point deduction need to be applied. Along with a more strick policy on suspension sentencing. I.E. have some form of re-sit evaluation after the suspension period, if you fail then have a layover time before being able to resit. At least this way a lot of morons would be removed from the road.

my 2c
    I'm never drinking again

Quote Originally Posted by 2000MNLESS View Post
    At least this way a lot of morons would be removed from the road.

Are you referring to Bogan City based Falcodore drivers?
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

I have just driven 1700 km from Brisbane to Innisfail and i can clearly see a lack of proper roads and stupidity on part of many road users will ALWAYS cause deaths on our roads, it will never be stamped out unless these two things change.

We as drivers are never on our own accord taught how to handle a car in an emergency situation; training for these situations should be made MANDATORY.

We as drivers have some of the poorest roads in any westernised country; Proper road maintenance and quality should be MANDATORY.

The comments raised by both sides of the debate clearly show the strong public opinion that circulates around this issue, however opinions do not lead to legislation. The government is taking the easy way out to solve this problem, not addressing the root of road accidents, bad habits, bad roads and lack of situational awareness.

There is no clear cut answer, but the money made from these "programmes" should be directly funneled into road safety and improved road maintenance. The government should be made to show this transparently dollar for dollar.

I never want to see a life lost on the roads but these tactics are definately not the answer.

A lil side note to a possible solution is that we take fro granted that driving on the road is a PRIVILEGE not a RIGHT, hence why when we make errors of judgement on the roads we should be penalised by removal of our privilege to drive not only in the monetary sense.

Harsher penalties for drink and drunk drivers, higher penalties for unroadworthy cars, higher penalties for damage to public property and cause of injury/loss of life and finally less chances to speed, 3 strikes and you are out!

My 2 cents

Revenue raising or not, I don't care, as I have said, I'd much rather the idiots on the road who break the law be penalised than the law obeying people. If the goverent didn't collect money from fines they would just put the price of rego, petrol and anything else they can up.

Thing that is annoying me at the moment is the media. 11 dead so far this year in NSW and tonight on the news they went for a ride with the police catching "hoons" and speeding drivers hoping to lower the road toll.
    But the majority of deaths this year had NOTHING to do with speed or hoons. It was fatigue and bad roads
    but that's not a very interesting story is it?
    So they blame the trucks the cars hit. But it's not their fault, they did nothing wrong. Infact, it's probably lucky they hit a truck, while the end result of the crash might not be as spectacular, if they hit a car head on instead of the truck, all the occupents would still probably have died, so would the occupents of the other car. This years toll could easily be 22 by now

with none or little contribution from speeding drivers

it's really a catch 22 for the government and I can see what they are trying to do. The roads are dangerous, people don't have the skills to drive fast on them and they think it will be easier and cheaper to slow people down, rather than fix the road.
    But they need to realise that it isn't working and the bad roads are killing not just those breaking the law, but innocent people aswell

Quote Originally Posted by 2000MNLESS View Post
    I agree Phil, but I think the main idea behind this is to act as a 'deterent'. If people don't know what to look for then they will be slightly more weary about speeding, at the very least drop a few km's off there travel speed.

At the end of the day, this isn't the final solution. I think tougher fines, more so point deduction need to be applied. Along with a more strick policy on suspension sentencing. I.E. have some form of re-sit evaluation after the suspension period, if you fail then have a layover time before being able to resit. At least this way a lot of morons would be removed from the road.

my 2c

Who are you??? and what have you done with Corey????

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    it's really a catch 22 for the government and I can see what they are trying to do. The roads are dangerous, people don't have the skills to drive fast on them and they think it will be easier and cheaper to slow people down, rather than fix the road.
    But they need to realise that it isn't working and the bad roads are killing not just those breaking the law, but innocent people aswell
    So letting the government put a band-aid solution to the problem is acceptable? Absolutely not, Driver training and improved roads is the answer. According to your theory that most of the deaths in NSW this year were caused by "bad roads and fatigue", so all arguments for stricter enforcing of speed limits is nullified.

You can't have stop gap measures and expect an improvement in our national road toll, it is that simple.

it also pisses me off when the govt puts down to most crashes speed is involved. while i agree that speed can cause accidents. there are black spots that cause accident after accident amd the govt propoganda machine puts these graphic adds out saying it is all the drivers out on the roads fault. all the roads are fine. the govt has to take some of the blame instead of putting 100% of the blame on the motorists out there. but when will u ever hear a govt. take responsibility or admit they are wrong??? been a while since i have heard anything remotely like that come out of any polies mouth hehe
    HKS cat back, CES SRI, DENSO Iridium cold plugs,MZR Shifter Base Bushings... more to come! got the mod bug!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YOU LOSE View Post
    IF I speed and get caught so be it .!!! but as a courier bussiness owner for 15years I think the point system is grossly unfair I DRIVE 10HRS A DAY all day my wife is on the road 1/2 hour per day I have 12 points so does she ,the law of averages are unfairly stacked against all professional drivers . Fine us yes taking our licences so we can't do our jobs not on .
    Col
    if you drink drive you can plea ur case to get a work permitted liscense!
    if you speed game over!
    i drive for a living too, never lost my liscense, but am now on good driver for 1 year! 2 points, 12 months.... i need to work.. if i get caight now im royally stuffed!
    '
    'BRISBANE AUTOSHINE' MOBILE CAR DETAILING
    1300 35 65 95
    0406 427 269
    antony@autoshine.com.au
    www.autoshine.com.au
    GIFT VOUCHERS AND CLUB DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE**

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Revenue raising or not, I don't care, as I have said, I'd much rather the idiots on the road who break the law be penalised than the law obeying people. If the goverent didn't collect money from fines they would just put the price of rego, petrol and anything else they can up.

Thing that is annoying me at the moment is the media. 11 dead so far this year in NSW and tonight on the news they went for a ride with the police catching "hoons" and speeding drivers hoping to lower the road toll.
    But the majority of deaths this year had NOTHING to do with speed or hoons. It was fatigue and bad roads
    but that's not a very interesting story is it?
    So they blame the trucks the cars hit. But it's not their fault, they did nothing wrong. Infact, it's probably lucky they hit a truck, while the end result of the crash might not be as spectacular, if they hit a car head on instead of the truck, all the occupents would still probably have died, so would the occupents of the other car. This years toll could easily be 22 by now

with none or little contribution from speeding drivers

totally agree
    HKS cat back, CES SRI, DENSO Iridium cold plugs,MZR Shifter Base Bushings... more to come! got the mod bug!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MPShiv View Post
    So letting the government put a band-aid solution to the problem is acceptable? Absolutely not, Driver training and improved roads is the answer. According to your theory that most of the deaths in NSW this year were caused by "bad roads and fatigue", so all arguments for stricter enforcing of speed limits is nullified.

You can't have stop gap measures and expect an improvement in our national road toll, it is that simple.
    It's not a theory it's fact. You beeing a queenslander you may not be aware of what crashes nsw has had this year. Nearly all of them has involved cars crossingvto the wrong side of the road and running head on with oncoming traffic
    only 1 I can think of that was speed related was a police chase and a car was hit from behind by the car being chased. A 2yr old was killed

just because I said I can see how the government is thinking, doesn't mean I agree with it

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nasa View Post
    if you drink drive you can plea ur case to get a work permitted liscense!
    if you speed game over!
    i drive for a living too, never lost my liscense, but am now on good driver for 1 year! 2 points, 12 months.... i need to work.. if i get caight now im royally stuffed!
    See to me that seems utterly ridiculous you can plea your case if you have been drink driving but not speeding
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by TheJunglist View Post
    it also pisses me off when the govt puts down to most crashes speed is involved. while i agree that speed can cause accidents. there are black spots that cause accident after accident amd the govt propoganda machine puts these graphic adds out saying it is all the drivers out on the roads fault. all the roads are fine. the govt has to take some of the blame instead of putting 100% of the blame on the motorists out there. but when will u ever hear a govt. take responsibility or admit they are wrong??? been a while since i have heard anything remotely like that come out of any polies mouth hehe
    I'd say there would be a greater cause of accidents with people to busy texting while driving then black spots on the road. If you take notice a great deal of fatalities seem to have a trend to be on straight roads.

I don't know how many times I have nearly been cleaned up by idiotic drivers texting and TRYING to drive at the same time. Having your phone on loud speaker is bad enough.

Licencing is a big worry, people are only been taught to pass the test, and not be able to drive in a confident manner let alone be able to handle themselves in a dangerous situation.
    I'm never drinking again

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast