User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyres

I am assuming you have a gen 2?

It all depends on money vs grip.

As a cost effective option, I have come across some rave reviews on the Nexen N8000.

You might want to look at that as an option.

Another good option is the Michelin Ps3, which seems to be quite popular.

If your not really after corner monster handling, you have a fair few, and fairly inexpensive, options available.

Hi guys,

My Gen 2 needed all 4 replaced @ just abit over 23,000km. Long story short, my car was vibrating like hell and had Mazda checked it over and over due to the possibility of previous work done (new clutch). In the end, independent tests were conducted at just over 1 week and a half and all 4 tyres needed to be replaced.

I was originally going to go with KU36s, AD08s for semi-slicks. Yokohama S-drives for non semi-slicks. I had a look at the Bridgestone range and although theyre bit more expensive than Yokohamas, they simply will do the same job (if less) than Yokos. Bridgestone range that i was looking @ was Re-11 or Re-001 as well as the Re-050a

I ended up getting the S drives all 4 fitted and aligned @ $1600 so $400/ tyre. KU36s @ 500/tyre is a VERY big ask, i would ring around to see what other prices u can chase. As for the Dunlops 2050 @ almost $700/tyre? Thats crazy, ud better off leaving them as they will not out perform any of the other brands.

Overall, the S-drives is the closest non semi-slick tyres Yokohama can get, next one up is AD08s. Once the tyres are warm, handling is great! Way better than the original Dunlops! That's why i said it's not worth the cash to go Dunlops again.

Hope this helps. As as for the record, i ended up going with Bob Jane due to the fact that places like Beaurepeairs are sub contracted to Dunlop, meaning they will suggest u to buy Dunlop even if you have others in mind.

Mmmm, know what you mean about the tyre wear, my fronts went from "looks like some initial signs of increased wear on inside fronts" to, "need new tyres asap" in 5000km but I enjoy giving it a bit every now and then.. tyres depend alot on how much you want to spend

I should chip in and say that just because you have your tyres rotated and aligned on a regular basis, it doesnt mean the place you go to has done it right.

Just the other day I had to get my tyres aligned again because the car was handling very strange.

Turns out that the last alignment I had on my car, which was three weeks ago, was so far out of whack, that it almost scrubbed the inside edge of the back tyres bald in 1000km.

I talked to the tyre place about how this could happen and they were telling me that some alignment machines dont like certain wheel types, and that if the aligner isnt regularly maintained the lasers can go out of spec, showing an incorrect reading.

This could be caused by something as simple as accidentally dropping or bumping laser packs that sit on you wheel.

Before you start saying this was some backyard joint that did this crap alignment, it was actually a bridgestone select centre.

Now I find myself in the uncomfortable position of having to buy tyres one month before christmas, and having 19" rims, its going to hurt lol.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    I should chip in and say that just because you have your tyres rotated and aligned on a regular basis, it doesnt mean the place you go to has done it right.

Just the other day I had to get my tyres aligned again because the car was handling very strange.

Turns out that the last alignment I had on my car, which was three weeks ago, was so far out of whack, that it almost scrubbed the inside edge of the back tyres bald in 1000km.

I talked to the tyre place about how this could happen and they were telling me that some alignment machines dont like certain wheel types, and that if the aligner isnt regularly maintained the lasers can go out of spec, showing an incorrect reading.

This could be caused by something as simple as accidentally dropping or bumping laser packs that sit on you wheel.

Before you start saying this was some backyard joint that did this crap alignment, it was actually a bridgestone select centre.

Now I find myself in the uncomfortable position of having to buy tyres one month before christmas, and having 19" rims, its going to hurt lol.
    I'd be dropping a visit to see them Jase, Not On....

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    I'd be dropping a visit to see them Jase, Not On....

i would almost be asking them to pay a portion of the cost of the new tyres...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

7. Default

Hi all my name is Alex, im from St George Tyres. As you all would already know we do a large variety of high performance street and track tyres, we are taking this opportunity to answer and inquires you may have regarding prices, sizes, types of whels etc. Please feel free to pm me or call 95674999 for the best quote possible.

Alex, My Man!

Yokohama A050's in soft compound, can you get them in 225/40 R18 OR 235 wide, & if so how much for supply & fit?

Also interested in, if you have any of the following:
    Bridgestone Re-11
    Toyo 888
    Yokohama A048
    Hankook Z221

Also AD08's in a 235/45/17 if you have them.

10. Default

pm sent.
    thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12