User Tag List

Thread: Warburton to Marysville via Reefton

Default Warburton to Marysville via Reefton

Did this trip today.

Warburton to Marysville via Reefton Spur.

The road is silled and lined market but there is no gutters (if there was it would have been handy in places, if you go off the road you go into nature)

There is a lot of slow/medium corners, and can be tight over the spur so need to keep your wits about you. There is really no issue with the 100km speed limit.

No issue with other cars - did not see one on my side from Warbuton to Marysville but a lot of bikes coming the other way.

A very interesting drive and one of the bests I have done in years.

Please note this area is in the heart of the black saturday fires. The forest is slowly coming back but you can clearly see where the fires were.

from:Warburton Victoria to:Reefton, vic to:Marysville Victoria - Google Maps

Nice road. After you have reached Marysville, you can take Marysville Rd and then Maroondah Highway to Healesville on the return. Another nice stretch of road there.

Yes Marysville to Healesville is a nice road but after doing Warbution to Marysville (via Reefton) you will be annoyed by the traffic on the black spur. Well I was on Monday.

Nice road have done the loop several times but it’s quite popular. Good to go on Grand Final Day or when its wet as it is quiet. The amount of bikes can be a bit annoying though. And there are often heaps of part time riders who don’t get out of the way.

I am a bit spoilt though with such great roads around me in the Otways that are quiet most of the year.

I suggest coming down to Lorne from Deans Marsh then the GOR to Lavers Hill. Turn off to Beech Forest continue onto the Skenes Creek-Forrest Road and then back down to the GOR and back to Lorne then home via Deans Marsh again.

About a 7 hour drive from Melbourne. You can shorten the trip to about 5.5hours if you head inland to Colac from the Forrest-Skenes Creek rd rather than loop the GOR again.

There is a mix between fast mountain roads to really tight narrow roads. The GOR can often be very busy and i rarely drive it unless i have to these days.
    Current Garage
    2009 Mazda 3 MPS Luxury
    2002 Renault Clio Sport 172

Doug,

It would great if we can organise that in the coming months.

I have not experienced the traffic on this road yet. There has only been traffic coming the other way when I have been there. Most of the bikes come from Marysville and back. Starting from Warburtion i think makes a difference.

If you have not done this run in the last year I think you will find that the whole area is quieter then it might has been.
    Last edited by BlueMPS; 21-02-2010 at 07:50 AM.

6. Default

I love the Reefton run, but yes, all the nice roads are still recovering from some very VERY bad fire scarring, and when you head out some places, there's massive excavated tracks of land that were intended as fire breaks...

Any of the roads out Yarra Junction, Healesville, Warburton, up Mt Donna Buang, out to Marysville and through there are all fantastic. I agree with Doug though, go closer to Winter or when not ideal for bikes, as it's very much a deserted track of road.

How is it in winter?

I was thinking parts would be busier and slippy as it is close to the snow ie lake mountain.

Yeah it can be a bit slippery and there is a lot of shaded/covered road that doesn’t dry but you drive to the conditions and reward yourself with a good drive. You will do it quicker when it’s dry or not mixed conditions but it’s a great feeling being able to best the conditions. Mind you I am a frustrated rally driver had not raced competitively for over five years now.

I do certainly agree that you will have a much quieter road comming from Warbie direction. And the bikes dont like that as they are on the outside of the road for most of the leg.
    Last edited by DougMPS; 23-02-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    Current Garage
    2009 Mazda 3 MPS Luxury
    2002 Renault Clio Sport 172

I went there on saturday with the WRX Club...it was seven cars all up and we had a great time!... we headed to Marysville through the black spur and headed to waburton through the reefton spur.... roads were pretty much empty apart from a few cars... the bikes don't hold anyone up... they will past you and dissapear before you even realise what just went past.... it's the cars travelling along the road that will hold you up from enjoying the roads.. and let's not forget the police

We spotted 2 police cars hiding on the side dirt roads... waiting for potential prays to go past so that they can get on with what police do best.... generate revenue!

We had portable 2-way radios on all the cars so that we could communicate and stay out of trouble ...

So apart from a lot debris and tree litter on the road on the reefton spur... these roads are great for a cruise at any time....