User Tag List

Thread: Is the 6MPS full time AWD?

Default Is the 6MPS full time AWD?

Is the 6 MPS full time AWD as pointed out by one of the comments to the article?

How Does Mazdas Active Torque Split All Wheel Drive Work? | eHow.com

Your interpretation of the documentation is incorrect. I have monitored the 4wd control module output to the diff coupling solenoid on a Mazda 6 MPS (Mazdaspeed 6)and determined that the car is in AWD mode 100% of the time.

The amount of torque going to the rear wheels is constantly variable, however the car is not capable of acting as a front wheel drive as you have suggested, unless the hand brake is applied or unless the AWD system becomes defective.

Even when traveling down hill in a straight line with the throttle closed the rear wheels remain engaged through the diff coupling.

Not to my knowledge.. its like the CX7 and CX9, once the front begins to slip, the read kicks in

There is a thread in the Tech section regarding how to switch the rear off. Converts it to a FWD only setup.

The rear drive is engaged all the time, except at very low parking speeds or when the hand brake is engaged.

See YouTube vid from KMH001 that he posted on OMC many moons ago but was lost when they crashed.

[YOUTUBE]uOWGq1B8C84[/YOUTUBE]

Also thread here on how to install an MPS3 switch

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-t...ff-switch.html
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

The MPS AWD is not like a Honda CRV for example when it does actually remain FWD till slip is detected. Positive to this setup is fuel economy, negative is real world operation and off road performance.

But according to specs provided by Mazda, the drivetrain is 100/0 F/R split during normal driving but can be up to 50/50 FR when needed.

So if the rear diff is engaged all the time, what's the FR split? 50/50?

In a word - YES. It is full time AWD.

I'm guessing you're quoting the MPS6 brochure where it says "data is fed into the Active Split All-Wheel Drive system which adjusts front/rear torque distribution between 100:0 and 50:50".

The problem is that this statement is sufficiently ambiguous that many journalists created misunderstanding about how the AWD works after they failed to do their research and published factually incorrect descriptions that claimed the MPS6 was "AWD on demand".

Let me clarify:
    The MPS6 does operate between 100:0 and 50:50. But that does NOT mean it is "AWD on demand" normally operating at 100:0. The MPS6 is full time AWD, but because it uses a diff coupling instead of a centre diff, the 4WD control module is programmed to disconnect torque to the rear at times when drive train binding would occur, such as when parking with high steering angles. It could be said than in some ways, our AWD is better than traditional 4wd systems because it can turn itself off when it would otherwise be a hindrance.

The other cool thing about our AWD, is that we can install an MPS3 switch to turn the AWD off and recover some of the power lost to the drive train.
    Last edited by kmh001; 04-01-2010 at 10:16 AM.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    In a word - YES. It is full time AWD.

The other cool thing about our AWD, is that we can install an MPS3 switch to turn the AWD off and recover some of the power lost to the drive train.
    I know we may be perhaps going a tad off topic, but surely the recovery of power using a FWD switch would be negligible?

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Around 5-10%....

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    I know we may be perhaps going a tad off topic, but surely the recovery of power using a FWD switch would be negligible?
    It's definitely noticeable and would take a second or so off the duration of an overtaking maneuver. I'd say Jmac is right, if I were to pull a figure out of my butt I'd say maybe 15kw. Probably the cheapest 15kw gain you can get.

Gone to Volvo

I'd rather retain the AWD during a passing manoeuvre when it is the most likely time you might really need it, especially on our crappy narrow WA roads with gravel verges, and when one is building up a fair head of steam passing B-doubles swaying all over the shop. Given the 200+ Kw in our cars, the extra 5-15% power is largely academic.

BTW, the AWD on these cars is heaps better than that daft weak arrangement on CRV's which only comes in when you need it and gives up quickly due to overheat when too much slip is incurred.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Sort of off topic question
    the read diff cut off switch is mentioned, when the diff is disconnected how bad is the torque steer compared to the mps3?

The main point of the question is to find out what difference the mps6 suspension specs make (I assume damping, rebound, spring rates are different)
    and also how successful is the torque limiting in low gears and wheel angle?

Dunno. But I wouldn't even go there with any kind of simple switch to isolate the torque diversion to the aft end of the car. It will take more than just turning off the power to the diverter to get it right.

I imagine a few queer things might happen to the DSC responses when the computer tries to intercept and correct for abnormal yaw, pitch and roll dynamics with input from a set of wheels that suddenly aren't there any more.

One great appeal of the MPS6 is its 4WD and related stability and amazing capacity to correct itself when the driver finds himself in the 'nure. I've found that out in the rain at over 130 kmh on a long sweeper - it works and is a lifesaver. Why anyone would want to interfere with it escapes me.

Some might argue "...why have a DSC off switch?" - but that is there primarily so that the DSC can't intercept a spinning wheel, and thus permit extrication from boggy situations.

The MPS3 has a system designed specifically to handle the torque through the front wheels only. I suspect that the MPS 6 is not so equipped, as it doesn't need it.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

One of the conditions under which the 4wd CU is programmed to use 100:0 torque distribution is hand brake application. Which makes perfect sense, if the rear wheels are intended to be braked there is no point sending power to them. It's one of the elegant characteristics of our AWD system.

The MPS3 switch merely replicates hand brake application, but without having the brakes dragging as would be the case if you took first notch of hand brake. This has the effect of stopping the square-wave signal that normally goes from the 4wd CU to the diff coupling solenoid.

It has absolutely no detrimental effect on the components, in fact it reduces diff temperature and on a long highway stint it would improve fuel economy slightly. My car runs quieter and with less vibration when the rear diff is turned off and because I do a lot of highway driving this is primarily why I installed the switch.

The MPS6 does not have the same torque limiting in first and second gears that the MPS3 has, so if you forget to turn the rear diff back on when you leave the highway and you get on the boost in lower gears you'll get one of two things; severe TCS interventions or severe wheel spin.

The MPS3 switch is definitely only for highway use. I rarely use it, except when I'm droning along with the cruise control set to 100 or 110kmh and I want a smoother quieter ride.

Gone to Volvo