User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why did you buy a 6 MPS?

I love driving mine (but driving wears it out, and I don't fancy the time I might have to consider replacing it - but think that will be a long while off yet), and I can't think of another car that I could happily replace it with for the same sorts of $$. That says a remarkable amount for a car in its modest price range and from someone who has owned and driven cars well over 4-5 times the cost new. So far, the best I can think of might be an Audi S4 or S5, but I'm not sold on Kraut cars and the price makes your eyes water. I watched Top Gear's Clarkson testing the MPS6 again on video last night. He's such a klutz. Al he can find to bitch about is the name Mazda ("named after a light bulb") and the fact that it only has "Mazda 6" on the back and it has a silly grill. He's an elitist who reckons if it doesn't come from Europe it's no good. In fact Mazda is the Persian God of Light, and the light bulb company was named after that, as was the car company. Tha man is a fool. But at least he said, basically, why by a BMW 3xx when you can get a Mazda MPS6 that is cheaper, does 0-100 in 6.5s as opposed to the BMW 10.0s, has 256hp as opposed to 128hp, does 150mph vs 125 mph and has AWD and is better all round, except for the grill?
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

I bought my MPS6 as a 23rd birthday / graduation present for myself, so they're not entirely cardigan cars lol.

My previous car was a heavily (and I mean heavily) modified magna that was cop bait. It got to the point where I couldnt drive to the shops without being pulled over. Thus, it got annoying really quick so I wanted something that didnt stand out as much.

I wanted AWD, 4 door, medium/large car, turbo or a bit of grunt, luxurious, cheap for parts (not needing to import them like other cars I was looking at), ok on fuel and something that didnt stand out. A few friends recommended Evos and Stis and coming from owning a mitsu for 6 years the Evo did appeal to me. Then I thought about parts, insurance, plus the fact they scream boy racer and quickly reconsidered. Other options were galant vr4s (ageing and parts shortage), chaser (ageing), gt/sti liberty (hard to find a good example at a reasonable price) and a few of the Euros.

I then found my car for $27,000 with a 3 year warranty and 60,000km. As you'd probably know magnas are worth nothing and they offered me $4k and allowed me to remove all the go fast bits. That was pretty much the deal breaker as I was thinking I'd be lucky to get $1500.

After owning the 6 since October I love it. I've completed some long distance drives and its awesome. Comfortable, refined, stuff all road noise and for a car its size with a snail bolted onto it, rather economical!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12