User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPE rear engine mount problems

Default CPE rear engine mount problems

Hi guys and gals, just thought id post up some pics of the CPE rear mount from my MPS3.
    Ive been getting some pretty bad wheel hop the past 2 months and finally today i decided to pull the mount off the car and have a look, here is what i found.

Now this mount is from the very first batch that CPE made and some of them were known to have a rubber issue, it seems i got one of the dud ones.

I emailed Jordan from CPE last week and told about the wheel hop issues and that i reckon the rubber part of the mount had shat itself, he asked me to take it off and look at it and email him some pics, he also said that they will replace it free of charge with the new upgraded mount if mine was indeed buggered. Looks like im getting new mount from them, in the meantime i have the stock mount with the corksport inserts in it back in the car and damn it feels good to not have so much wheel hop when the car comes on boost or when giving it a bit of stick from the lights.
    CPE CAI, CPE catted DP, Custom 3" exhaust, Heavily Modified KO4 turbo, Upgraded topmount Intercooler, Turbosmart Boost controller (set to 17psi), CDFP kit, Denso ITV22 spark plugs, CPE engine mount, N2MB WOTbox, Eibach prokit springs, Cobb adjustable rear sway bar, DBA 4000 rotors, Falken RT615 tyres.
    Car has made 212Kw's@wheels on Factory Mazda tune (Graham Wests dyno)

I think Magoos cpe mount may have suffered the same fate, he was complaining of wheel hop awhile back

Blog Entries

Damn...I had such high hopes for these mounts.

4. Default

This is why there's no mounts available CP-e stopped all sales until their fixed this problem. All mounts have a life time warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsgarage View Post
    This is why there's no mounts available CP-e stopped all sales until their fixed this problem. All mounts have a life time warranty.
    Umm the revised mount is now available, jordan told me that in a email last week. The new revised mount uses a stiffer rubber material that is of a better quaility, oh and its also black in colour instead of blue.

I will have mine before christmas, so once i have it i'll post up some pics and add some feedback.
    CPE CAI, CPE catted DP, Custom 3" exhaust, Heavily Modified KO4 turbo, Upgraded topmount Intercooler, Turbosmart Boost controller (set to 17psi), CDFP kit, Denso ITV22 spark plugs, CPE engine mount, N2MB WOTbox, Eibach prokit springs, Cobb adjustable rear sway bar, DBA 4000 rotors, Falken RT615 tyres.

6. Default

Well, I said it on the OMC forum but no one listened....

I cried wolf and said the rubber they used wouldnt last. And, well, I hate it when I can say "I told you so"..

I'm glad I bought the SU mount. the 50 Duro inserts I'm currently using are the perfect balance between very mild vibes, and no wheel hop..

Lets see how long their stiffer rubber lasts... I bet there will be failures within the next 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Well, I said it on the OMC forum but no one listened....

I cried wolf and said the rubber they used wouldnt last. And, well, I hate it when I can say "I told you so"..

I'm glad I bought the SU mount. the 50 Duro inserts I'm currently using are the perfect balance between very mild vibes, and no wheel hop..

Lets see how long their stiffer rubber lasts... I bet there will be failures within the next 6 months.
    Well i reckon the SU mount is sh*t as well, i tried one for 3 months and it was crapola (vibey and harsh), Hence why i sold it and put the corksport inserts in the stock mount which makes for a mount that for the price is probably better than 90% of the other mounts out there.
    I bought the CPE mount as "try and see", i thought why not give it a go the rest of there parts have been great..... lets just hope the revised one is better i guess.

After having a good look at the CPE mount that came out of my car, i reckon 80% of the issue was from the alloy "spacers/washers" that fit over the centre tube. These washers have actually cut deeply into the rubber, i can also say that i drive my car very hard (especially with the WOT box fitted)

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMPS3 View Post
    Well i reckon the SU mount is sh*t as well, i tried one for 3 months and it was crapola (vibey and harsh), Hence why i sold it
    If only you complained to SU like I did, and the SU boyz would have sent you the 50 duro inserts for it. It aint anywhere near as harsh now, and of course the wheel hop is still non-existant.

I agree with your statement on the CPE mount. The alu spacers each side are a hazard to this mount, especially in high compression where the rubber is sure to expand and rub/wear against the spacers..... Strange design really.

Its ironic, after placing an order in May this year for the CPE (before i made my complaints to SU and receiving the softer rubber inserts) the CPE rev 2 arrived on Monday (merry Xmas from CPE in the US i guess). The design is the same, but the rubber is no longer that blue colour - its a dark greyish colour. There are warning labels all over the place about grease degrading the rubber also, so I'm assuming this is what they believe caused the failures previously.... Nice one CPE...
    Last edited by Wardski; 23-12-2008 at 07:53 AM.

My CPE mount is in transit from the US as i type (ordered on the 1st July, also coming with a CPE XcelNANO Intake and TWM Shifter bushings ). I will post some feedback as soon as i install it..

Hi Guys.
    Just been on CP-e web site to my surprise the CP-e engine mounts are available so I hope it will not be long before mps garage have them in stock. ( fingers crossed).

Quote Originally Posted by kblume View Post
    My CPE mount is in transit from the US as i type (ordered on the 1st July, also coming with a CPE XcelNANO Intake and TWM Shifter bushings ). I will post some feedback as soon as i install it..

To quote myself, as promised, here is some feedback on the CPE Engine Mount (cut & paste)..

Well i got my goodies from RPM today (CPE XcelNANO Intake with pre-filter, CPE Solid Rear Engine Mount, TWM Shifter bushings), and installed them all. Also changed the oil from Castrol Edge 5w30 to Royal Purple 10w40 (and oil filter). The car pulls just under 1 PSI extra boost now with the intake, pulls a bit harder and sounds awesome to boot! The stock BOV is actually quite loud now! No axle-tramp with the new mount, vibration is a little bad but should settle down after a while (had the same thing when i put the AWR in my old SP23).

Anyway, Here are some pics & vids:

Intake noise with bonnet up.
    [YOUTUBE]zlpJm-YZItk[/YOUTUBE]

Takeoff Video 1 - Outside car.
    [YOUTUBE]KC4YbtQQRHs[/YOUTUBE]

Takeoff Video 2 - In-car windows up.
    [YOUTUBE]wLApvCUUmeg[/YOUTUBE]

Takeoff Video 3 - In-car windows up (missed 3rd gear lol).
    [YOUTUBE]BJf_TphnEyI[/YOUTUBE]

New Oil (Royal Purple 10w40)

Old Oil (Castrol Edge 5w30 after 2500km/1.5 months - very black!)

Very good Photos & videos.

Hi. Did you go all the way with the Corksport exhaust??? ie from the turbo back or just from the cat???? Im getting some ideas! How much of a pain was it to install the exhaust?? Thanks, Greg.

CPE 3 inch turbo-back system (dump pipe + cat-back). Made the world of difference..

I have the SU rear engine mount, and haven't had a single problem with it, think it was an awesome upgrade from the stocko one......

+1 for the CPE full exhaust system, its worth the money methinks.....

Hi Guys & Girls.
    I have just fitted the CP-e REM, I will not go on about the mount, as I think enough has been said all ready, Just one thing from the moment you turn the key you notice the difference (solid), and driving the car feels more enjoyable. can't try it out as it's raining here in Victoria.

Finally got my replacement mount today, will fit it on friday and see how it goes. Ive noticed that the alloy spacers/washers are different (larger and less dished/bigger internal chamfer) between to old and new mounts
    Last edited by BlueMPS3; 07-01-2009 at 09:21 PM.

I've only just put my new version CPE mount in (about a week ago), so fingers crossed that similar things don't happen ...

Blog Entries

the new CPE mounts have been redesigned so you should be all good

20. Default

Yep the new ones are good (so the reports in the US forums say). Hmmmm, never had an issue with my Street Unit one. <hint hint>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast