Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Best tyres for 3MPS's

1. Default

how come none of you look at Michelin Pilot Sport 3's

Because I can't afford to.
    Would be number 1 on my list otherwise.

Federal 595

Federal 595EVO

Just a quick note on the Federals. For the first 200km or so the tyres were a little slippery (Not release agent; I think the compound acts differently at the surface), but once you get down to the actual compound they're fine.
    Last edited by Jeev; 26-03-2011 at 10:25 AM.

I've got the KU31s on my 2008 MPS3 and have no complaints at all. I basically just drive to and from work and don't really throw the car around corners - just a quick blast here and there and they are fine. If I do go into a corner hard (relative term for each of us I guess) then they feel quite grippy and I have full confidence. In the wet I drive in the same way as in the dry and no complaints either.

I have only driven on the original Bridgestone RE050A and the KU31s in my MPS3 but with my driving style/manner I can't tell the difference. Great price too, I paid $175 a corner at Bridgestone a few months back - I could have got them at Tempe Tyres for $150 but they were out of stock ...

I agree with the comment above "just the best tyres for your needs" but I have "accidentally" bought crap tyres in the past which were crap and unsafe.... so there is a fine line between economical and crap too.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Because I can't afford to.
    Would be number 1 on my list otherwise.
    they are really not that expensive $280 in 235/40/18 for a high performance tyre is not expensive
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    These are the 595, not the older SS595. Not sure what real world difference there is between them
    They _look_ exactly the same...

7. Default Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalins

Just bought Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalins to replace my 'normal' potenzas (which lasted about 35,000km before the Mazda guys said I should think about changing them). The difference is extreme. The normal ones used to make the car slide all over the place when driving hard around a corner. The Adenalins seem to stick to the road. Still get a little drift if pushing hard in the wet but only a little. Much reduced road noise as well. The offcial Bridgestone distributors wnated $364 each. I managed to get them for $275 each (fitted and balanced) from an independent dealer.

Yokohamas have landed in Sydney and should arrive soon. If I get them soon i'll see if I can get them fitted & balanced on friday.

Edit: ****ers at customs are reviewing them, either because they want to charge me tax or think I am smuggling drugs in them. Hope that doesn't waste too much time.
    Last edited by Reedy; 29-03-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Leelu: did you get the KU36's fitted?

If so how do you find them?

Tom

Customs wasn't a big problem. Just a small delay, No tax, no drug charges. it's all good.

Sweet as!
    I'll order mine tonight!

Just came home for lunch & what was sitting at the front door?

Will see if I can get them fitted tomorrow. Then start going about wrecking them....

All in all, if you want a premium set of tyres then BUY THEM FROM TIRERACK. Their service was as good as it gets in my opinion, very personal, very helpful and prompt. I saved myself over $500 by ordering through them compared to what you pay in Australia.
    They charged about $250 shipping(Fed-ex, very fast but pricey), so you need to buy a pretty expensive set of tyres to see the saving but looking at how this all went for me. I will definitely be buying my next set of tyres this way.

I could not recommend these guys enough.
    Last edited by Reedy; 31-03-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Then start going about wrecking them....
    Nice. At that price you can actually afford to

Thanks for the writeup, I'm definitely getting my next set this way.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by 03blk View Post
    Leelu: did you get the KU36's fitted?

If so how do you find them?

Tom
    Tom,

Not fitted yet, planning to get them on in the next 2 weeks. Just gotta fit in the fitting, then getting over to Fulcrum for the wheel alignment around work. Need to do something soon, my OEM's are getting beyond a joke, especially in this wet weather we've had the last couple of days in Brissy!

Will keep you posted
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Sounds great Leelu. Be sure to post some pics too!

Reedy: I paid for my S Drives from Tire Rack today. All up $850 the set. As with yours: $250 postage. But no matter when they cost that much for 2 here in Cairns!

Got the AD08's fitted this morning and I went for a thrash through the royal national park to celebrate.

First impressions:
    They warn you about road noise these tyres make on the Yokohama website, rightly so, they are f*cking loud. On smooth roads they are ok but coarse roads they howl, also make a funny noise under braking. All of this is in the name of EPIC LEVELS OF GRIP however.
    When my car was stock, I could haze my dunlops in second gear. With 200kW at the wheels, I could do it in 3rd. With the AD08's, I can floor it in second and these tyres WILL NOT let go. Even going through a couple of damp patches they still held on.
    Cornering was a similar story, they just held on for that much longer before letting go, on a public road I couldn't go too hard but these tyres just hold on for dear life, then when they start to let go they continue to bite very very hard trying to hang on.
    Better feedback through the steering as well, they grip and feel contours and bumps so much better. On rough roads the car seems to torque steer a bit more now as a result of that.

Glad to hear your tyres are on and going great Reedy.

You're not wrong about Tire Rack's service: woke this morning to 6 emails about order, payment and shipping updates. Great service indeed!

S Drives for me too, I get them on Thursday 235-35-19 If the impressions of them on here are anything to go by Ill be really happy. Can't wait

hey reedy glad to hear you feel the same about the AD08s as me, i didnt really notice the noise that much tho...

if you think they are good on the road they are 10x better on the track when u get them hot !

Yea im trying to nail down a date for a track day asap.

How do you go for tyre pressure at the track? I have mine at 35PSI at the moment and driving around town with a bit of vigor is getting these tyres up to 38PSI once theyre warm, at the track they will be getting a lot hotter obviously.

Someone mentioned earlier that 34PSI when warm gave the best grip at the track, but at that pressure they will be basically flat when cold!

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast