User Tag List

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Best tyres for 3MPS's

Quote Originally Posted by Los Palmas7 View Post
    ATM Goodyear on promotion buy 3 Get 1 Free:

Goodyear (Wiletton, WA) quoted me:

Goodyear LS2000 II (225/45/18) $360 each (Buy 3 get 1 Free) + $15 Fittings => $1095.00

Dunlop Direzza DZ101 (225/45/18) $360 each (Buy 3 get 1 Free) + $15 Fittings => $1095.00

Kumho SPT31 (215/45/18) at $275 each (without promotion)? => $1100

Sumitomo HTRZ3 (225/45/18) $299 each (without promotion)? => $1196

Can anyone help?

I've had the Sumi's for 12K now - no probs, v good in all areas/conditions - $248 per in Brisbane. Only issue is requirement to keep the pressures up around 41/42. I dropped them to OEM 36ish and got a bit of feathering on the fronts. They must flex a wee bit more in the corners at the lower pressures.
    Cheers, Chris

2. Default

Hello forum members. I have an Mazda 3 MPS which is due a new set of tyres (standard 215/45/18 wheels). I've been reading this thread to get some ideas what to look for. I haven't done any vehicle mods like many of you have and don't race the vehicle, it is just for normal, but fun, driving.

My priorities are safety (of course), low noise and good wear (in terms of kilometres per $ spent). (I don't particularly want to spend $400 per tyre and get less than 30k as some of you do).

I live in Kingaroy in Queensland and my enquiries of the local tyre dealers haven't got me past Nankang AS1, Falken 912 and Goodyear Eagle F1 ASYM. I think I could do better but am not sure after reading the thread where I should head.

Any advice as to what I should/could buy and where from would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Jeff

Blog Entries

I've tried and recommend :
    Sumitomo HTRZ-III in 225/45R18
    Kumho KU-36 in 225/45R18 ($235ea unfitted for carcass from option1garage)

These are good fitments on the OEM rims. Sumitomo get better mileage; it's a premium street tyre, KU-36 cost similar, less mileage with semi-slick performance. I've gone back for more KU-36 after 23,000K; that was stretching them; looking at my sumitomo spares I could have squeezed them to 30,000K, most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
    Hello forum members. I have an Mazda 3 MPS which is due a new set of tyres (standard 215/45/18 wheels). I've been reading this thread to get some ideas what to look for. I haven't done any vehicle mods like many of you have and don't race the vehicle, it is just for normal, but fun, driving.

My priorities are safety (of course), low noise and good wear (in terms of kilometres per $ spent). (I don't particularly want to spend $400 per tyre and get less than 30k as some of you do).

I live in Kingaroy in Queensland and my enquiries of the local tyre dealers haven't got me past Nankang AS1, Falken 912 and Goodyear Eagle F1 ASYM. I think I could do better but am not sure after reading the thread where I should head.

Any advice as to what I should/could buy and where from would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Jeff
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Hi, I've always had Bridgestone Potenza's Re050, Gave me 50.000k, my new set were Potenza RE050A's I've never had any issues, Drives well in the dry, and very good in the wet. At the end of the day you just need to look after them and they'll look after you :-)
    Cheers.

5. Default

Thanks for the responses.

I avoided the Potenza's perhaps wrongly. The reason was I bought the car new at 28,000k's. At that time the original Potenzas has already been replaced and I took that as meaning they didn't wear well. It could also mean of course that the car was driven hard and/or the tyres weren't looked after.

However for the information of forum members I was offered Potenzas by Bridgestone in Mt Gravatt, Brisbane for $359 each yesterday (only one set at that price I was told). I had just been offered the same at a large tyre retailer near there for $539ea.

Jeff

Im thinking of getting new tyres in the near future, has anyone heard or experienced the EAGLE F1 GS-D3 Goodyear? Or the Marangoni Mythos? Comparing to OEM's are they a easier wearing tyre?

For personal knowledge the R1R toyo's? How many km's would they last? There maybe a little worst the the KU-36's?

Regards
    James
    Last edited by Bakis; 09-05-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Whilst this thread is still a very good discussion resource, for particular and concise information you may like to read this;
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/handl...ew-thread.html

Thanks

9. Default

Ive had the Maragoni Mythos though only for a short time as my rear tyres wore (which were different) so just replaced the whole 4 for Michelins ... the XR5 guys seem pretty keen on the Mragoni and I know a few other 6 guys have tried them too, they are better noise/handling and wear than the Potenzas and from what I recall are made by Pirelli and can be had for a good price

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Ive had the Maragoni Mythos though only for a short time as my rear tyres wore (which were different) so just replaced the whole 4 for Michelins ... the XR5 guys seem pretty keen on the Mragoni and I know a few other 6 guys have tried them too, they are better noise/handling and wear than the Potenzas and from what I recall are made by Pirelli and can be had for a good price
    Thanks i am pretty keen on them just i heard from a few XR8 blokes that they wore alot faster then they would deem 'normal'.

My tyres were due for replacement, so went a huntin ... To replace the tyres on a Gen II with standard size in my tyre of preference (Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3) was going to cost $450 per corner. To move 10mm wider onto 235/40 18 brought the tyre down to $260 per corner. Yes - $190 per corner.

The speedo is now (slightly) more accurate, though still under estimates the speed by around 4%.

I've had Falken FK452's on for about 30,000km now and I think they have another 10,000-15,000km in them. I got 30,000km out of the OEM tyres.

13. Default

Had Potenza's they were crap. Have just put on 225 Dunlop maxx sport SP's these tyres kick arse(so they should for retail over $500 each!) My mate owns a tyre shop and did me a good deal and then told me to push them as hard as i dare on the way home and if i didn't like them he would give me something else, still got them.
    Eagle F1's are also a great tyre wanted them but there were none available at the time.
    I won't use any other brand then dunlop, V8 supercars use them for a reason.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Marangoni are one of the few european tyres that are actually still made in Europe. They are Italian made and very good. They have very stiff sidewalls compared to most other tyres in these sizes and do generally give a slightly bumpier/harsher ride, grip wise you should be more than happy and they come with a factory backed lifetime road hazard warranty. Also the compounds have been changed slightly with the last few batches that have been imported into Australia to address any wear issues that were occuring due to the harshness of our roads and some extra reinforcement as the tyres were not lasting on the back of fat cars like Falcons etc.
    These are the only street compound tyres that used to grip up on my old mazda with 350rwhp.

hi all just going for my next set of tyres. gonna try toyo 888's . from what i read here they sound ok.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by TheJunglist View Post
    hi all just going for my next set of tyres. gonna try toyo 888's . from what i read here they sound ok.
    cheers
    Great comp tyres, but a bit dodgy in the wet and don't last long. I wouldn't mind a set myself.

Blog Entries

Accellera PH1 are dying in the lead towards 20,000 which will be their end, I expect. I'll go back to KU-36; accellera were cheaper but they are very soft, and possibly not quite as deep tread....in any case, wear rates are the same or faster than KU-36, making KU's better bang for buck - IMO.

Also as they wear they become more like the OEM potenzas that is to say squirm, torque steer and tramlining, which I thought were just shocking on the potenzas at end of life. Sumitomo and KU did not degrade over life so dramatically.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

18. Default

I have Falkens on my MPS. Not a bad tyre for all-round driving. Lasting well so far, and were the cheapest I could get at the time. Much better than the T1R's I had (Toyo Proxes) which were a dodgy batch since the size wasn't listed on their sales chart.

Haven't heard anyone else fitting Falkens, but meh, it's all good.

Which Falkens?

Im running toyo t1's, great grip.. but they wont last long cars prob done 3000's ( most done on the Putty road ) and there half way worn on the front, back are still newish. Will prob get 12000k's out of the set, anyone that knows me will tell u............. i drive very spirited!!!
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 15-03-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast