User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of torque - ECU reflash?

Default Loss of torque - ECU reflash?

Well a little disappointed today I thought while i was down at Chiptorque I would throw away $100 to find out I've lost Torque... I noticed loss of power after my engine light come on 4 days after my service with Mazda dealer. The engine light come on and drove to Mazda to check it out and after a half an hour they sat me down to talk about the exhaust system and when I said that it was done by the dealer he shutup and I asked what the problem was and he said the the cat wasn't coming up to temp so they couldn't get the light to go out so they ran something through it and when I drove away that afternoon I noticed the lack of Torque (Pull)... and today on the dyno my torque was back to stock 380NM a loss of 77.6NM. My Kw's didn't change it was spot on..... Can someone shed some light please.....
    Last edited by 240MPS; 15-12-2009 at 06:50 PM.
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

They may have flashed the ECU.

When my rear mount broke, they told me if I wanted to keep my warranty, I would need the ECU updated. The peak power never changed, but the lack of torque was noticeable enough, that I purchased an exhuast. This started my mods list. The update reduces the torque to remove any chance of breaking the rear mount again, or, this is what I was told anyway.

Bugger more money........

Time for a tune

I had a bass controller screwed over the OBD port for every time it went back to get warranty work done. Now it's run out, no more going back to Mazda.

wiered!!

i just dont take my car to mazda

SIMPLE

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Blog Entries

I queried mazda directly when my engine mount recall and flash were done.
    I was advised that it adjusted error thresholds and I think they mentioned wastegate duty cycle, but the main thing was to "avoid the inconvenience of a check engine light" rather than detune.

I quizzed them on the engine mount and any association with that, and they did not associate the flash with the engine mount recall as such.

Interestingly, this is the first I've heard of it being applied actually in response(?) to a CEL.

Since then there's been one minor uptune and since then can't say I've noticed more changes, but 3rd gear doesn't get the boost/torque it should; 12PSI rather than 15-16, and that's disappointing and makes me want to retune because there's an obvious responsiveness defecit in 3rd. Cetainly far tamer than delivery.

I believe they may in some circumstances adjust the flash in ad-hoc ways, so that the software on one may not be exactly the same as others.

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    Well a little disappointed today I thought while i was down at Chiptorque I would throw away $100 to find out I've lost Torque... I noticed loss of power after my engine light come on 4 days after my service with Mazda dealer. The engine light come on and drove to Mazda to check it out and after a half an hour they sat me down to talk about the exhaust system and when I said that it was done by the dealer he shutup and I asked what the problem was and he said the the cat wasn't coming up to temp so they couldn't get the light to go out so they ran something through it and when I drove away that afternoon I noticed the lack of Torque (Pull)... and today on the dyno my torque was back to stock 380NM a loss of 77.6NM. My Kw's didn't change it was spot on..... Can someone shed some light please.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    They may have flashed the ECU.
    True, except Rino has a chip not a custom flash.

This is amazing! They dont even tell you that they are re mapping your ECU with a de tuned map? Theres nothing that you can do about it as im sure it stipulates in the service agreements and book that they will and can update the ECU when necessary.

Thats pretty crap guys.

But... i guess that Mazda have found a fault with the car that the excess torque over the stock 3 or 6 is causing so instead of rectifying the parts involved... lets just pull that torque figure down ... smart.... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    I queried mazda directly when my engine mount recall and flash were done.
    I was advised that it adjusted error thresholds and I think they mentioned wastegate duty cycle, but the main thing was to "avoid the inconvenience of a check engine light" rather than detune.

I quizzed them on the engine mount and any association with that, and they did not associate the flash with the engine mount recall as such.

Interestingly, this is the first I've heard of it being applied actually in response(?) to a CEL.

Since then there's been one minor uptune and since then can't say I've noticed more changes, but 3rd gear doesn't get the boost/torque it should; 12PSI rather than 15-16, and that's disappointing and makes me want to retune because there's an obvious responsiveness defecit in 3rd. Cetainly far tamer than delivery.

I believe they may in some circumstances adjust the flash in ad-hoc ways, so that the software on one may not be exactly the same as others.

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Mine was only the fact the the cat wasn't reaching temp and nothing else and because it's a aftermarket exhaust done by the dealer before del and the the chip was done before del they question the exhaust and told them that they did the exhaust for me........ So rather than play around with it lets just take it back to std?????
    Last edited by 240MPS; 16-12-2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: wasn't, wasn't spelt right :)

I noticed this problem after taking my car into Mazda to check the engine mount. This wasn't for the recall, that was already done but I thought I had a problem with it again.

Basically 3rd gear doesn't feel like it pulls as hard as it used to, very disappointing. I rang the Mazda dealer up next morning and asked if they did any updates on my car and they said they didn't. I think they might be talking sh*t.

Is there any way to bring back that power? Will the next update that Mazda do rectify the limitations?

^^^

I will really doubt if Mazda was reducing the power ouput or torque below std, that would be a total disgrace.

If your car is stock then I would say that maybe is juts you gettting use to the power, all getting very normal to you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    ^^^

I will really doubt if Mazda was reducing the power ouput or torque below std, that would be a total disgrace.

If your car is stock then I would say that maybe is juts you gettting use to the power, all getting very normal to you.
    Oh yes, it is a bit of a total disgrace. 3rd gear is definitely far below the torque output it had at delivery.

It was drive in with 3rd gear powerhouse, drive out with 3rd gear tame.

Ultimately I decided it doesn't bother me that much but I feel it has been extremely poorly handled by mazda.

I have logged proof that 3rd gear is restricted, yet 3rd gear is supposed to be the first unrestricted gear. I don't see how you can have 12psi in 3rd, 15-16 in 4,5,6 and then expect people to believe that 3rd gear isn't restricted. It obviously is and that is obviously contrary to advertising and product information that lead to purchase.

It is my only beef with mazda and my MPS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pHiLix View Post
    I noticed this problem after taking my car into Mazda to check the engine mount. This wasn't for the recall, that was already done but I thought I had a problem with it again.

Basically 3rd gear doesn't feel like it pulls as hard as it used to, very disappointing. I rang the Mazda dealer up next morning and asked if they did any updates on my car and they said they didn't. I think they might be talking sh*t.

Is there any way to bring back that power? Will the next update that Mazda do rectify the limitations?
    There's been one update since that perked things up - slightly - but unfortunately it's chiptorque or similar if you want to retune that torque delivery back in.

There's been one update since that perked things up - slightly - but unfortunately it's chiptorque or similar if you want to retune that torque delivery back in.
    I see. How often do they do these stupid flashes assuming you always get your car serviced with Mazda? I think the service representative said they usually come out with a new version once every 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by pHiLix View Post
    I see. How often do they do these stupid flashes assuming you always get your car serviced with Mazda? I think the service representative said they usually come out with a new version once every 6 months.
    every 20K/1 year service a PCD is perfomed on your car...

My last was 60K....now up to 116K

Im all good...my car runs fine...i dont need any updates.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

I showed my torque figures from Chiptorque to the boys and he was a little confused how they managed to do that with how he programed it.... Any hows that will be fixed in the new year with more power again in Kw's and bring the torque back where it was...

So let me get this straight, will a chiptorque chip eliminate this loss of power, and also add what it always did? I also noticed this about 2 years ago when they did the recall, as they serviced the car while it was there. Extremely disappointing, but anyhow chiptorque it is!
    I'm in Sydney, can anyone give me a recommendation where to get it done, and what exactly you got done.

Silverwater auto services are pretty good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast