User Tag List

Thread: Thermo fan still on when engine is off

Default Thermo fan still on when engine is off

Hi guys.

Just pulled into work not long ago and noticed what sounded like the thermo fan doing it's job after I turned the engine off. It automatically turned off after about 15 seconds.

What's going on here? Is this normal?

Mine does it. Stopping our cars from cooking after you turn them off i guess.

Completely normal

I see. So when does this occur exactly? When the thermo fan is already on at the time we turn the engine off?

Only happened twice on my 6MPS... Only when the outside temps are around 35 deg and above aswell. Probably just a fail safe in hot weather.

The FG FPV F6 keeps the fans running for about 30 secs after you turn it off if you have been flogging it

To cool the engine down after a long drive, its common on other makes and models too.. My mums accord euro does it too!

Best to let your car run for a bit stationery after a long trip

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    Best to let your car run for a bit stationery after a long trip
    Yeah I usually let it idle for a bit before I turn the thing off =)

Not too long kiddies ur better off driving like a granny forthe last 30sec to 1 min to let it cool Down. At leeast your engine is getting air rammed into it lol rather than heatingup sitting idle

The fan switches on when engine coolant temperature exceeds a preset value. It's in the owners manual. There's really no point these days letting your car sit there idling if you haven't just been on boost - reason being you're actually keeping under bonnet temperatures higher (as opposed to turning the car off) as the heat being generated by the cats are in the hundreds of degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    The fan switches on when engine coolant temperature exceeds a preset value. It's in the owners manual. There's really no point these days letting your car sit there idling if you haven't just been on boost - reason being you're actually keeping under bonnet temperatures higher (as opposed to turning the car off) as the heat being generated by the cats are in the hundreds of degrees.
    Good Point.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

12. Default

If the fan turns on when I am about to turn the engine off, I would leave the engine on until the fan turns off. Then I'll turn the engine off.

This way the water pump (which works when the engine is turning) can circulate the cooler coolant into the engine block.