User Tag List

Thread: Gearbox oil leak 2009 MX5

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

Default Gearbox oil leak 2009 MX5

Well my wife's 2009 MX5 has done 5000klm and now has a oil leak from the gearbox.

Last week after driving home she noticed a strong smell, I checked it out and there was "truckloads" of oil under the back of the car dripping down onto the exhaust. At first i thought it was coming from the diff as there was plenty of oil dripping from it. But it seems it was just residue flying back from the gearbox.

I took it in to Mazda and they replaced the rear seal on the gearbox extension housing under warranty. After doing less than 200klm since then, it is again leaking and seems to be worse.

Not really happy but these things happen i suppose. The worst part is that whilst the dealership was able to provide a car for my wife to use, which was good, the worst thing is, that if someone hits her or she damages it in any way she is up for an excess of $2000.

Now that is a bit steep. Especially since they didn't know if, after it was fixed last week, that it was actually test driven to check out the repair.

Has any one heard of an oil leak from the gearbox extension housing??? Is it common with the 6 speed??

Damo
    2006 True Red Gen 1 3 MPS Sports.

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Corksport Stuff, Special Mazda 6 Horn

Try Miata.net, forum link here:

MX-5 Miata Forum

A browse through there should turn up something

Blog Entries

Thanks Dan,
    Already been there, there doesn't seem to be too many out there with the same issue. Seems to be more leaky valve covers or the cam sensor.

Blog Entries

Well Mazda replaced the Extension housing, hopefully it wont leak again.

Mind you my wife isn't very happy, they didn't even give her an apology or say much at all. Just handed the keys back.

I think maybe a simple "We're sorry about that, it's all fixed and hopefully won't happen again" would have gone a long way to smooth the waters. Especially with a car less than six months old, costing a fair bit of cash........

Strange considering I take my car there to get serviced and they always seem pretty good. Maybe just a bad day???

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Blog Entries

Default Here we go again......

Are you kidding me. My wife just got home and guess what. It is leaking again.

Ffffaaaaarrrrrrkkkkk.

Its strange to hear that your wifes MX5 is having problems as usually these little sports cars are bullet proof......and I hear you as my wifes Astina had an issue with the cetralling locking on the drivers door and I would get an earfull

I hope you get it sorted and maybe a friendly chat to the Service Manager of the Principal Dealer

Blog Entries

ha ha yeah thanks Dave. That's what I have heard and seen on all of the forums around the world. Quite often the only leak they seem to get is from near the valve cover or the CAS where ever that is (I think its near where the dissy would go or camshaft sensor.......)

I just went and wiped underneath it and tomorrow I will check it again before I jump to conclusions. At least it won't rust in a hurry.

Damo

Blog Entries

Buggar it looks like there is still oil coming from somewhere.

I Put it up on blocks and had a good look and can't see anything coming from the back of the engine or the gearbox, but there is still oil there dripping on the exhaust................mmmmm what to do what to do?????

I suppose I will waste a few hours at Mazda tomorrow again and see what they say again. The wife is not happy and is definitely letting me know. I hope it wasn't built on the day before a long weekend! i.e a lemon.

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Blog Entries

Well it remains a mystery. The MX5 went down to Mazda first thing this morning and is still there.

Spoke to the service manager and highlighted our concerns with the oil leak and a 5000klm old car.

To my surprise when it went on the hoist there was plenty of gear oil around the diff and dripping from the exhaust. (It was only a 8klm drive).

Not a drop could be found around the gearbox, after I had wiped it down last night.

?????

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Well another day another diagnosis. Just got back from Mazda.

Today it's the pinion seal on the diff. No seals in Australia, so it's coming from NZ.

My ears are bleeding from the wife. We won't get her car back until sometime between Chrissy and New Years. Lets hope it's the last leak we get.

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Not good mate and I feel ur pain as you must be getting a hammering from the one who should be obeyed.....I hope that ur Mazda Dealer can verify where the oil is coming from and recify the problem....try to have a great Xmas and I hope ur ears dont bleed to much

Blog Entries

Thanks Dave,

They seem to be more confident this time. Whilst you could see oil around the cast housing of the ring and pinion there was nothing coming from the hat. So I suppose the assumption was that it was residue from the extension housing when it leaked.

So they washed and cleaned underneath then took it for another drive, then it became a bit more obvious. Hopefully that's it. Strange though, that both the gearbox and dif had seal problems. I don't think I have seen that on any new car.

At least they gave us a new Mazda 3 as a loaner. Don't know what model it is but it's got GPS and bluetooth.

Best wishes for Christmas and New Years for you and your family.

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Well sonds like they are looking after you and that model 3 would be a Maxx Sport.

Try to have a great Xmas and fingers crossed that ur MX5 has a positive sleepover at the Dealer

Blog Entries

Thanks Dave.

My wife just spoke to the service manager this morning and he says he is not sure if her car will be ready today as they are changing the diff instead of just replacing the pinion seal.

I am guessing the seal didn't turn up, or if it did then it was probably the wrong seal. I am surmising that instead of waiting around they are putting in a new diff (which is a good thing I suppose).

I'll have to have a chat to the service manager to find out.

Strange that they are unsure if it will be done today as he reckons they were working on it as she was speaking to him. It doesn't take that long to change a diff.

Back when I used to change diffs on a regular basis (because I kept on breaking them each Friday or Saturday night, if you know what I mean) I used to be able to change a diff or a top loader gearbox in a couple of hours by myself or just over an hour with a mate. And they have a workshop full of tools and they don't have to pull axles out!!!!!

mmmmmm

If they keep going at this rate she will have a whole new, new car .

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Blog Entries

Well here we go. Just had a call from Mazda and wife's car will be ready in half an hour.

Lets hope it's all fixed.

Just got back and it all seems OK.

Now it seems the up button on the CD player does not work.
    Last edited by tigamica350; 30-12-2009 at 04:20 PM.