User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have negative camber!!! woohooo

Default I have negative camber!!! woohooo

After almost 4 years of fighting the steering wheel and excessive tyre wear due to inadequate (and non-adjustable) camber at the front, I finally have a decent chassis setup.

I wanted to do this ages ago but waited until the engine and vibration were sorted out.

The solution was a 40mm drop (35mm at the rear). I used H&R springs with B8 Bilsteins and all new rubbers. It's a wonderfully competent combination and feels like a magic carpet ride. I was planning to install eccentric upper control arm bushes to correct the camber but there's no need now, there's around 1 to 1.1 degree's neg on all corners.

The car looks better, handles better, feels better, rides better and should have better tyre wear. Money well spent. The only downside is that my brand new front splitter is more prone to scape on savage driveways.

You really should do this too Mel.
    Last edited by kmh001; 12-12-2009 at 12:30 PM.

Gone to Volvo

Picsorban!

Let me wash it first, it's filthy.

ok

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    You really should do this too Mel.
    Yeh I know

my cars so ugly compared to everyone elses

Sounds so great Mal cant wait to see it tomorrow
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Congrats Mal, that is great news! It's exciting when you get these kind of mods done, good work After some of the bad roads here It's something I may consider, as the coilovers are a bit harsh at times!

Nice job Mal

Any reason you picked H&R springs instead of any other brand?

Hey Mal thats sweet
    How much did the billies set you back if you dont mind sharing

Good to hear STill with pics or ban :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Nice job Mal

Any reason you picked H&R springs instead of any other brand?

I've had a couple of bad experiences with Austrayan springs, particularly with irregular spring height. Some brands are too much of a gamble. I chose H&R because I knew exactly how the car would sit and that they had production quality control in place to be consistent.

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Hey Mal thats sweet
    How much did the billies set you back if you dont mind sharing
    Got the billies from Heasmans at Sydenham for $1050. Got the springs off another forum member for cheap. The rubbers were genuine Mazda and cost me about $130.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Congrats Mal, that is great news! It's exciting when you get these kind of mods done, good work After some of the bad roads here It's something I may consider, as the coilovers are a bit harsh at times!
    You can give it a try in a few weeks and see if the setup is not too soft for you.

After doing a few miles I'm starting to think the rebound is a bit too soft on the rear, but it's nothing that can't be fixed if I decide I really don't like it. Still really happy with the combination though.
    Last edited by kmh001; 13-12-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Gone to Volvo

Thanks Mal!

Thanks Mal, look forward to catching up

after seeing the stance on the cruise it looks great low and well set up...well done, the reason you got H&R's is the same reason I went Eibach's.

Is your B8 Bilsteins same as the one from RPMstore? wouldn't dropping 40mm a bit overkill for these shocks?

I had the Bilsteins HD (from RPMstore) and King Spring. The ride is a bit bumpy for my personal taste, you know how bad our road condition is in Sydney.

I think the RPM Store sell the B6, the B8 I understand are designed for lowered springs.

They have different part numbers, the B6 are A256, 257, 258 and the B8 are A259, 260, 261

Here's a pic thanks to BD581.

Last edited by kmh001; 15-12-2009 at 07:35 AM.

Nice drop. I reckon your ride is even firmer than mine with a lot less body roll.
    Are you running 225/40 or 225/45? I think 225/40 will make your car even lower.. but it could be problem going over speed bump..

17. Default

hes running 235/40 I know cause they are the same as mine remember the RX8 rims are 8" wide

That looks great! Nice height.

19. Default

Very nice - our cars look so much better low...

Thanks guys. I'm really happy with the lowered stance. It doesn't just look good it works so much better with some neg camber at the front. Bit of a shame I'm not getting a chance to enjoy it, I haven't driven the car since the Burrawang cruise. But I'll make up for that when I collect the car from the transport depot in Perth in a couple of weeks and go exploring - lot's of exploring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast