User Tag List

Thread: Service vs Warranty Dilemma

Default Service vs Warranty Dilemma

I recently purchased a used 6MPS from Subaru Dealer Used Car section.
    Built: Aug-2007, and new car warranty expires Oct-2010.
    I am up for 30Ks service really soon.

All used cars purchased under this dealer comes with free 5 years extended warranty (after the factory warranty runs out). The only condition is the car MUST be serviced by the dealer (before AND after the expiry of Mazda new car warranty).

Q1) What is the sensible option?
    a) Still get Mazda dealer to service my car and forgo the free extended 5 year warranty from the dealer?
    b) Get the Subaru dealer to service the car and enjoy another 5 years of motoring peace, but risk Subaru technician unfamiliar with Mazda MPS?

Q2) Just before the new car warranty expires, is it advisable to get an inspection from:
    a) Non bias 3rd Party for advise (such as RAC)? or
    b) Mazda Dealer for their expertise, but risking they are not honest?

What is your opinion?

Opinion is, the extended warranty is not worth the piece of paper its written on - though it is a little peace of mind.

At least get mazda to check over once for any faults, then you can continue getting it serviced at scoobydoo.

+ 1 I agree

Read the fine print of the warrenty.
    I had similar warrenty on a previous car and it was actually more like an insurance policy. I would have to pay a percentage of any repairs.
    As far as servicing goes, all I had to do was send reciept or proof it was being done.
    It's just a scam for the dealer to get more money out of you.

I agree with all previous comments. Definetely read the fine print. You'll find you're probably only covered up to a certain amount and only for certain parts. Having said that keep in mind that if a major component fails (engine, gearbox) mazda are more likely to offer out of warranty assitance if your having you car serviced there.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

I mean Mazda Australia not the dealer and their poxy warranty.

My dealer extended warranty only covered the first $1000 from memory.

Also, some of them only cover an actual "Breakdown" of certain vehicle components. ie. engine and transmission, but not suspension or body.

I dont know how used car extended warranties are bolted together these days.

But in the past when I bought some used cars, and had the chance to read the extended warranty, it basically covered you for certain vehicle components.

The catch was that the warranty did not cover any wearing parts (If you think about that you will realise how ridiculous that sounds) and other components that it did cover were only up to a certain value, then you had to pay the balance.

With some components it only covered the labour charges and you had to cover the actual part costs.

Hope that helps a bit.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Im in the exact same position as you mate

Bought a Second hand 6 MPS from a dealer (Peter Page Holden) have 1 year left of New car warranty and after that 3 years of warranty from the used car dealer. Proviso is that i get th car serviced at Holdens from now on... I dont like it... Read my othe posts regarding the way Peter Page Holden stuffed up my clutch install etc etc

End of the day, im going to get Holden to do the BASIC and MINIMUM service required to still keep the warranty from them. Warranty covers up to $1000 on parts etc etc can claim on it whenever something goes wrong.

Mind you,
    My plans are like this...
    1. Mazda know my car now as ive been there for new car warranty issues, so i advise just choosing a dealer that is good and building a relationship with them, if you have annoying rattles or your engine rattles at start up etc go there and make your self known and seek their help, be nice and they will get to know you

2. It got to the point where i refused to have Holden work on my car so due to circumstances now Mazda do any of the waranty work on the car (excluding servicing) and Holden pay Mazda (PM me if you want details on how and why i did this)

3. Ill be getting a RAA or such inspection done on the car about 1 month before NEW CAR warranty ends

4. Keep a log of what work your SECOND HAND DEALER do and Dont do. what you ask them to do and doesn't get done, who you spoke to etc etc. Its pretty common place that a Non 'MAZDA' (in this instance) dealer NOT do servicing by the log book, more so they will just do a oil change and filter and she'll be right.

Definatly go for a NRMA, RAA place to get the report done etc as there reports actually stand up in court! They will back you in front of the dealer!
    Ive had to use this once before actually, glad i payed the RAA (NRMA in nsw i think) to do the report

If you want some help or more info let me know

Cheers
    Last edited by nissanman; 10-12-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Thanks for the input guys.

FYI: The dealer extended warranty stated "This mechanical protection plan is not an insurance policy. It is our OWN personal mechanical protection plan". Furthermore it doesnt state anywhere I have to pay access for claiming.
    Last edited by Los Palmas7; 11-12-2009 at 02:09 AM.

11. Default

My friend bought a Golf GTI and it came with this so called "dealers warranty"

He went to his first service and there were soo many little things wrong that wasnt covered by the dealers warranty [Car was bought from a VW dealer]

After that, he just decided to dump the warranty and get it serviced elsewhere. [He saves around $400~1K on each service]

His most recently service, he mentioned that the car felt like it was lacking power. VW charged him money and said.. nope.. nothing wrong.. Went to a VW expert and found that the Diverter Valve was COMPLETELY cracked and in peices

Quote Originally Posted by DISIMS3 View Post
    keep in mind that if a major component fails (engine, gearbox) mazda are more likely to offer out of warranty assitance if your having you car serviced there.

i had this happen when i had a cv joint fail 3months out or warranty and mazda covered the part and labour in full as my car has always been serviced by mazda.
    MAZDA 3 SP23 : XFORCE : EIBACH : WHITELINE : AUTOEXE : CORKSPORT : KMAC : TWM : AFX :SCANGUAGE 2 : XHP : KUMO : CARBON PRODUCTS : AERO BODY STYLING : BLAUPUNKT : INFINITY : TOMTOM : SPARKSECRET.COM : MONZA : AERPRO : JBS Customs : FHRX EARTHING KIT : DYNAMATT : UNIDEN : RFI : iPOD : STINGER : REDLINE Tuning :

SUBARU FORESTER MY10 XT-P
    : TCP AUTO : HYPERFLOW : PERRIN : WHITELINE : STi : BREMBO : BEATRUSH : TURBOSMART : LENSO : PULSE RACING TUNE @ 182 AWKW

Quote Originally Posted by A Pirate View Post
    i had this happen when i had a cv joint fail 3months out or warranty and mazda covered the part and labour in full as my car has always been serviced by mazda.
    Both good points.. Hadn't thought of that

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

i'm in a similar predicament, just without the extended warranty, i bought my car second hand from a mazda dealer but am worried about the dreaded pcm updates so not sure if i want to get the edealer to service and risk a reduced spec car or go with a good mechanic i know, if it was out of warranty easy but until that runs out???