User Tag List

Thread: 3MPS and Koni FSD fitment issues

1. Default 3MPS and Koni FSD fitment issues

I am seriously thinking of putting a set of Koni FSD on my gen 1 MPS. However, after viewing Koni FSD install how-to and forum posts on them, it seems that there are fitment issues for the DIY'ers.

- had to grind the paint of the front strut bottom to fit into the mount (exposed metal)
    - rear strut lower bushing is narrower needing a washer otherwise bend mount
    - had to cut the front bump stop by 1/3

Koni FSD shock, strut, damper install - Mazdaspeed Forums

Does anyone think the pro will have the same fitment issues fitting them and taking shortcuts? and by pro I mean Mazda dealer/Pedders.

Does anyone know someone who has fitted Koni FSDs on their 3MPS the proper way with no problems (Brisbane area)?

I am a beginner (this will be my 2nd time) modder and really don't want to have to take my car back and forth to the installer with clunking and rattling in the suspensions. I really want them to be installed right the first time.
    Last edited by wyvernone; 08-12-2009 at 03:41 PM.

hi, I have a set of koni yellows.. i didnt have any issues with them.. did u spread the hub ( where teh front strut fits into the hub)? i used a wedge to pry apart the hub to fit the strut in. than tap lightly with a hammer to get it to 100% to the bottom than tightened up the clap bolt. it only took a little bit of paint off the strut. as for teh rear it was a perfect fit... hope this helps.. im not a expert but i have done 20-30 upgrades in my time..

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

as for pros doing it.. they would have the same problems the only different from us is they have a hoist, more tools, bit more knowage.. ... the only way to learn is to read up and do it yourself ( or ask here the guys here can help)

That write up makes them sound a bit like a novice.

If you jack both sides of the car, the anti-sway bar won't pull the wheel up and then no need for the jack.

If you require some assitance, just ask!

oppssee nothing intended.... should prof read first hey...

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

!! in the pic why a need for a jack to get the strut away from the hub i will never know!! i just used a wedge in the gap in the hub and lifted the strut stright out! that an accident wait to happen.. ( anyone for a jack in the head while lifting the strut out)

5. Default

Hmmm. i put a wedge in the gap in the hub and i still couldnt get it out.

I just used the scissor jack method and got it out pretty easily.

*shrugs

6. Default

Thanks all. I am too inexperienced at things mechanical. Got burnt a couple of times when I tried to work on a car... I stripped the threads of a bolt once and then broke a mount another time ... so I'd rather pay the pro to get them done for peace of mind...

Where abouts are you loacted?

Team OzMPSclub can help.

sounds like me... but when i strip a bolt it ends with blood.. skin off hands

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

i found puting a wedge in, pushing down on the hub the strut came straight out

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by wyvernone View Post
    - had to grind the paint of the front strut bottom to fit into the mount (exposed metal)
    - rear strut lower bushing is narrower needing a washer otherwise bend mount
    - had to cut the front bump stop by 1/3

Koni FSD shock, strut, damper install - Mazdaspeed Forums

Does anyone think the pro will have the same fitment issues fitting them and taking shortcuts? and by pro I mean Mazda dealer/Pedders.

Does anyone know someone who has fitted Koni FSDs on their 3MPS the proper way with no problems (Brisbane area)?
    Yes they will have the same fitment issues, and probably fix the issues the same way. Unless of course Koni have fixed the paint issue and lower rear strut mount issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    That write up makes them sound a bit like a novice.

If you jack both sides of the car, the anti-sway bar won't pull the wheel up and then no need for the jack.

If you require some assitance, just ask!
    Perhaps you didnt consider, I wrote it FOR a novice.
    No point writing a "how to" for some one who knows what they are doing.
    Detail everything even the simple stuff, including little tricks that a novice may not think of to make things easier, plus things that can go wrong.... that is what a novice needs.

If you read the thread you will see both sides of the car were jacked up.
    The jacking details are right there at the beginning, even a pic of the Mazda recommended front jacking point near the engine mount.

The scissor jack was the quickest easiest way to get the strut out.
    Do you really think I didn't try to spread the lower strut mounting point first.
    I even detail an easy way to do that in the thread, by reversing the bolt, in case the novice reading does not have a wedge available.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Authority View Post
    Hmmm. i put a wedge in the gap in the hub and i still couldnt get it out.

I just used the scissor jack method and got it out pretty easily.

*shrugs
    Exactly!
    Glad I was of help.

Anyway! I would advise anyone installing the FSD's on an MPS to cut the bump stops down, after running the FSDs for about a year and 15K miles, I cut 2.75" off the rear and 1.5" off the Front stops. It made a WORLD of difference.
    There was as big an improvement from cutting the stops, as there was going from the stock struts to the FSD's
    Last edited by FreeFlyFreak; 11-01-2010 at 08:19 AM.

I agree, whoever did that right up is a bit 'how ya going', if you get stuck jus take troy 2XS up on his offer

11. Default

Just curious.. do we really need to cut the bumpstops.

I'm pulling apart my setup to put new shock bearings on the front.. so i could just cut them if i wanted to.

Any one here driving on FSDs with Standard Springs?

your thoughts?

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Authority View Post
    Just curious.. do we really need to cut the bumpstops.

I'm pulling apart my setup to put new shock bearings on the front.. so i could just cut them if i wanted to.
    You dont "have to", but it makes it a hell of a lot better if you do. See this thread:
    MS3 rear suspension 0.5" from the rear bump stops before you even get in the car. Fronts only have 1" till bump stop. - Mazdaspeed Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ranton View Post
    Any one here driving on FSDs with Standard Springs?

your thoughts?
    Me.
    I would not advise using the FSD's with currently available lowering springs, only with the stock springs.
    Most of my impressions are in the thread I linked to above, both with stock struts, and FSD's Post #9
    An with FSD's and cut stops, Post #1