User Tag List

Thread: Fujita F5 Cold Air Intake (CAI)

Default Fujita F5 Cold Air Intake (CAI)

Hi all...

I recently purchased a Fujita F5 Cold air intake as i know a lot of guys in the states have used them with great results.

I started reading the downsides of using CAI near the road surface and i'm now having second thoughts on using it...

I also checked on the MPSGarage website and noticed that the CPe CAI that they sell guarantees not to generate Check Engine Lights (CELs) errors... has anyone had any problems with other brands or this Fujita F5 CAI?

.. any hydrolock issues reported with any CAI??

Thanks
    Rob G
    Last edited by ChobeG; 08-12-2009 at 07:25 AM.

Dont stress about hydrolock. Just dont drive through puddles deep enough to touch your fog lights (no river crossings now!!) and you will be fine.

Thanks for your reply....

So has anybody experienced any CELs after fitting a CAI?

4. Default

I had an SRI on my car for 3 years and never once experienced anything strange, other than a loud sneezing sound when i backed off the throttle

Default Funny story on hydolock

Quote Originally Posted by ChobeG View Post
    .. any hydrolock issues reported with any CAI??

Rob G
    Want a funny story - I had a service station for a few years, one of my customers who became a good friend had a 109E Anglia. He used to do the most monumental roll backs ever seen and took the poor little car off-road around the fire-trails in the valley below St Ives in Sydney chasing trail bikes and off-road buggies.

He drove me crazy revving the car one day on the far side of the driveway. He wouldn't stop although I had told him to move. I walked up to the car, he had the air cleaner off and was continually revving it. I picked up the watering can and poured it down the carby throat (small throat) he just kept revving and I gave up and walked away after emptying the contents of the watering can down his carby. The car still revving quite happily.

Just by the way - water injection was popular on Turbo cars in the 70's.

Don't think you will have hydrolock probems from water being splashed over the air cleaner do you ???
    Last edited by rd415; 08-12-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: water injection added

Thanks everyone for the input

and i guess i'll stop worrying then after that little interesting story...

Interesting to hear that the car kept running as i'm sure i read somewhere when i was doing my research that some people have experienced hydrolocking when using a CAI and water being sucked into the combustion chamber..

anyhow.. i'll fit the CAI and just take some preventative measures just to give myself some peace of mind

I'm looking forward to the results

No CEL's here either. I've heard good things about the Fujita intake on US forums too. I wouldn't worry.

i wouldnt be worrying about CELs, i would be worried about STFTs and LTFTs

no CEL's with the CPE CAI. had it for about a year and a half. no problems with hydrolocking either

Quote Originally Posted by kagerou View Post
    i wouldnt be worrying about CELs, i would be worried about STFTs and LTFTs
    Wow... Go easy on me... What are stfts or ltfts??

Anyhow... I ended up buying the fujita f5 and it's a nice piece of kit.. It's well made and fits perfectly with no design faults. The filter has a cone type of feature inside to improve the intake air flow even further. So it looks like a well thought of design.

The filter points downwards which gives the peace of mind that if I wash my engine, water will not go into the intake pipe. Not sure if this happens with those intakes that mount the filter pointing upwards but I thought it's probably best to be safe.

Once fitted it improved the drop of power that is felt with the standard engine/air box pass the 5500rpms mark. As an added bonus you can now hear the original bypass or blow off valve ( which ever the original is) working and that nice sound of the turbo spooling. I'm sure however that this is the case with all CAIs

I've had it for nearly a month, driven under reasonable amount of rain and no issues so far
    Last edited by ChobeG; 30-12-2009 at 09:06 AM.

Sound's like you made a good decision. Nice work

I've had the F5 on my car for about 2 years now.. no dramas.. just watch it near gutters where heavy rain starts banking up water