User Tag List

Thread: Engine Limits?? On MPS 6

Default Engine Limits?? On MPS 6

Hello, Done a few searches, found a few answers, but not to all I'm after. My plans are to change to CAI or SRI and turbo intake pipe, Cat back exhaust, re-map and wind boost up. Will sort out brakes and suspension as well, just need to know safe limits of standard engine.

So, my questions are.

Whats the max psi you can run on a standard turbo before it blows hot air?
    At what sort of power do the injectors max out at?
    Do the fuel pump and plugs need changing with a remap and upping boost?
    How much torque can the standard clutch take?
    When is a thicker head gasket needed?

cheers
    Jim

It rains a lot here, you guys are lucky
    <a href="http://www.mpsowners.co.uk">MPS Owners Club</a>

Whats the max psi you can run on a standard turbo before it blows hot air? Depends who you talk to, everyone has an opinion. I know of a guy running 20psi and he swears by it. For safety sake, I would recommend a target of 16 psi, bearing in mind that spikes will go higher.
    At what sort of power do the injectors max out at? That's still being determined. There are some Americans playing with 'fuel pressure tuning' and getting interesting results.
    Do the fuel pump and plugs need changing with a remap and upping boost? The electric fuel pump has been proven to be adequate. The HPFP that creates the DI pressure is controversial. There are several upgrade kits available, but I've never seen direct evidence that the stocker is inadequate, and I usually don't spend money on the basis of theories or marketing fairy tales so I wouldn't encourage you to rush out and replace the HPFP. As for the spark plugs, that decision should be based specifically on a reading of the plugs in your engine and not what someone on a forum recommended.
    How much torque can the standard clutch take? Dunno, in gear it will handle plenty, but if you're asking about launching that's a different story. You get to choose between a fried clutch or a broken axle.
    When is a thicker head gasket needed? To my knowledge no one has played with lowering the compression ratio on a DISI engine.

Gone to Volvo

Stock turbo is useless above 17.5psi(blows hot air), but it can handle up to 22-23psi(don't recommend it though).

You don't need to worry about the injectors unless your doing a full rebuild. The injectors are inside the block and you'll reach the max of the internals before you need new injectors. (It's very different to the convential setup)

If your car is tuned properly, you don't need the upgraded fuel pump on a stock setup. That said, as soon as you slap a bigger turbo or want to push for bigger power you will need this mod. It won't hurt if you run the bigger pump in a stock engine/turbo.

My stock clutch let go @ 190kw atw. Put in a lighened flywheel and a stage 3 Spec which did the job.

You won't need a thicker head gasket unless your planning to play with the internals of the engine.

What's your plans?
    CorkSport FMIC with Cold Air Induction, , Cork Sport Cat Back, CPE Standback with PNP, TurboSmart BOV, Custom Highflow Cat with CorkSports Downpipe,Pauter Rods, CP Pistons,ARP Head Studs, BIGGER TURBO COMING, Pre-ordered a Stage 3 CPE Engine.

All good advice

Most of the considerable research I have done indicates that nominally 18psi is max optimum boost, this being a turbo limitation, not an engine limitation. If you plan on going above that then you need a new turbo, obviously with appropriate induction and exhaust mods too, but then plan on attending to the internals.

The turbo is already blowing hot air from factory. Wastgate shut at about 5000RPM, boost falls of from there as the flow limit is reached.

The wastegate solenoid can be controlled by the Standback i'm pretty sure.

But your correct, if your using the standard ECU your right, the wastegate opens partially around the 5200rpm as most dyno read outs will show.

No, that's not what I'm saying, no amount of computer control will get more boost, the waste gate is shut, shut hard, the turbo is flowing everything it can, and that's it.

ah, i forget sometimes we are talking about the factory blower! My apoligies!

I don't think this should be seen in the context of canning the stock turbo out of hand - it's a remarkable little unit considering its intended market and function.

One of the reasons behind having a small turbo is to reduce or eliminate turbo lag, as a small unit spools up faster, a consideration when marketing to the masses who want reasonable driveability.

This is one, but not the only, reason why some manufacturers have gone to two small sequenced turbos as opposed to a single bigger one. There is, however, a natural physical limit to how much air you can pump through any device of given size and design parameters, after which it, almost literally, generates more heat than light.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Thanks for the replies guys, I was never going to take the modifications too far, just needed to know what was safe to do with standard components