User Tag List

Thread: New Member Saying Hi

1. Default New Member Saying Hi

Hi all,

Just a quick thread to say hi all the MPS owners out there!

I currently own a '02 EVO VII GSR and while it's an absolutely fantastic driving machine, it is a little too raw to have as a daily driver. So i'm looking for something a little more sedate but will still make me happy in the pants when I put my foot down.

I'm looking at a MPS6, but i want to get the "411" on these cars before i commit to purchasing one.

I was hoping some of the members here could shed some light on the things a potential buyer should be aware of when buying a MPS6?

Things such as:
    • Running Costs
    • Fuel Consumption
    • Replacement parts
    • Common problems
    • Clutch replacements
    • Mods (what are the performance gains like?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys and gals.

Cheers,
    Kris

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...nty-fixes.html <-- first place to look for "issues" with the 6MPS
    to ozmps
    plenty of information in the forums, and im sure there will be plenty of people here to help you with your questions

in terms of mods, you're probably looking at ~130-140kw atw for a 6, with a Down Pipe, SRI/CAI and TMIC, around 170ish?
    not sure about the rest of it...

but here is servicing costs:
    Car Servicing Cost & Price Guide - carservice.com.au
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Welcome Kris

I think sam has covered some of the information available but be sure to search for many of the dot points you listed or look in the specific areas (handling, intake, drivetrain etc) on the Forum's page...most of the sticky threads up the top are typical stuff that new member like yourself find quite resourceful to read

There may be some answers you might struggle to find (I know sometimes its hard to find stuff on forums) so see below;

Running Costs
    Running costs vary from what fuel you run (the local price of fuel), tyre selection and quality and necessity of replacement parts. I just replaced my tyres with Kumho KU21's for around $1000 fitted to give some small info on tyres. Fuel is costing me around $70ish a week and that's around 450-500 city driving. My last two services were $215 and $230

Fuel Consumption
    Depends on mods, how heavy your shoes are and where you drive (city) I'm around the 11.4L/100km mark. I've seen more, I've seen less. But this seems to suit my lifestyle of driving. The car is rated at 10.5L/100km average, but on open roads I've seen high 8's low 9's at times

Replacement parts
    From my experience I've only had to replace the water pump $178 and the Front left fog light $207. Turbo's would be the only other replacement that I've heard of which ranges between around $1100 and $2,000 depending on what sort. Other members can help with more info on this

Common problems
    Sam answered that one via link, but turbo seals and/or water pump seals would be my answers.

Clutch replacements
    Can't answer that

Mods (what are the performance gains like?)
    How much money you got!!!! Estimates put mine somewhere around 195kW at the wheels (197.3kW exact from the calculations we got) Not sure how correct or incorrect that is. But it will have a fair crack at the 2011 HSV GTS 325kW Hoping to get into the 13's next time at the drags, last result was a 14.2 on a really warm night, and first time for me.

Hope that helps. Try catch up with members for a cruise. Best way to meet and greet and learn if you're interested

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Nice posts guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post

Mods (what are the performance gains like?)
    How much money you got!!!! Estimates put mine somewhere around 195kW at the wheels (197.3kW exact from the calculations we got) Not sure how correct or incorrect that is. But it will have a fair crack at the 2011 HSV GTS 325kW Hoping to get into the 13's next time at the drags, last result was a 14.2 on a really warm night, and first time for me.
    MPS - Punching above its weight class since 2005
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    MPS - Punching above its weight class since 2005
    If I want to have a crack at just about anything, take out the MPS, if I wish to demolish and at the same time that's what the CBR RR is for! Haha just kidding. At the end of the day I bought the car for me, I couldn't really care less if a 6.2L V8 is quicker I still prefer mine, as its much more fun to drive.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

6. Default

Welcome and I hope you find something that makes you happy in the pants

My fuel consumption avg is 11. 3 ( I must drive like Rogwick) and I have also seen 9's on highway trips when im not forced to undertake lamers driving in the right lane
    Last edited by blackbetty; 22-02-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Welcome and I hope you find something that makes you happy in the pants

My fuel consumption avg is 11. 3 ( I must drive like Rogwick) and I have also seen 9's on highway trips when im not forced to undertake lamers driving in the right lane
    yes... "forced"
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Lets be clear, I don't drive like BB

Hehe