User Tag List

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Mazda 3 MPS Gen II problems you have had, warranty fixes

I have a corksport sri but no box. Forgot to mention its a 3mps gen 2.

2. Default

Fuel tank baffle

Fuel tank baffle. Yes. Possibly
    Mine went off when I stopped to a complete stop and when I took off again

Sounded like a rusty gate

fuel tank baffle? how do you check, inspect?

Best to go to a Mazda Dealer. What state you in?

I am in SA

Not sure of any good Dealers in SA, but it is a whitepapered problem with Mazda so they should have no problem diagnosing it and replacing it under warranty

After having another listen and inspection I am 80% sure it is the exhaust that is hitting, rubbing against something.. Will try and find out where over the holidays. May have to get some aftermarket hangers.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    Not sure of any good Dealers in SA, but it is a whitepapered problem with Mazda so they should have no problem diagnosing it and replacing it under warranty
    I think I have the rusty gate baffle sound.... 2009 model. Just hit 100,000km.

I swear i thought I was hearing an old gate from a house nearby then realised the house was following me all the way to work!

All that said, you mentioned the part took 23 weeks to arrive?? Why so long and can the car still be driven?

I'm unlucky and out of warranty so I'm unsure where I stand on this... I haven't approached Mazda yet.
    09 Aluminium Silver MPS
    || Accessport - Stage 1 Tuned || COBB SRI + Airbox || Koni Yellows Sports || Eibach Pro-Kit || Corksport RMM || Graphite Wheels || DBA T3 Slotted Rotors ||
    || Vinyl Wrap Rear Valance || LED kit - Plates and Parkers || Windows Visors || Custom Plates ||

It's a known problem. Mazda should cover this even out of warranty

Hi guys,
    Just had to have a new fuel tank installed for a broken fuel tank baffle in my 2009 Gen 2 - GrandPrix Mazda at Aspley called Mazda to see if Mazda would cover part costs etc but "its out of the warranty period" so I copped the $1200 part + labour cost (took 2 hours to install). Dran thing that baffle but the "rattly gate" noise on stopping was too annoying. Could hear the fuel sloshing about and rocking the car when half way up my inclined driveway!!
    Seems to be a 2009 Gen 2 thning though??? Saw some Mazda 3 SP25s also had this issue from the 2009 model run.... Hmmm
    2009 Gen 2 - ECUTEK tune, downpipe, all motor mounts, K&N filter, DBA rotors and braided lines, antilift and camber correction bushes, Whiteline ARB F&R, new organic clutch (300hp), Federal 595RSRs = 189kW 420NM ATW at Mercury Motorsports Newmarket

Oh, and my car has only done 46k since Sep 2009! but I did get new engine mounts about 5 months ago and they were very NVH unfriendly til bedded in... still abit rough compared to the stock engine mounts but my right side engine mount was leaking (its hydraulic I think...) and also a Mazda 3 MPS Achilles heel...
    While I think of it - took my wheels off to fix some gravel trap rash (ouch - QR caused that some years back...) and had 3 of 4 tyres with nails or screws punctured but not leaking... Federal 595RSRs seem to attract every bit of stray metal.... but are great value in my book on road and track...
    2009 Gen 2 - ECUTEK tune, downpipe, all motor mounts, K&N filter, DBA rotors and braided lines, antilift and camber correction bushes, Whiteline ARB F&R, new organic clutch (300hp), Federal 595RSRs = 189kW 420NM ATW at Mercury Motorsports Newmarket

You should write a letter to Mazda Australia and complain. The fuel tank issue is a known manufacturing issue with SP25 and MPS model 2009-2011

They have a white paper on it and you should not have had to pay for a new one

I'd fight it

So I read through the thread (took me a while), what's the latest on the cruise control fix? Is it just an update on the PCM software? What about the movement/rocking in the drivers seat, what's the fix with that? And did anyone ever find out what the knock/thud is when shifting in 1st 2nd 3rd (even when driving sensibly)?

I am not sure about the cruise control fix or the drivers seat (mine rocks also). But in regards to the driveline noise, I hit up mazda about it last year after my rmm and transmission mount upgrade did not fix the problem. It was a drawn out technical case with Mazda Australia over many months, The end result was myself receiving a letter explaining that the sound is due to gear clearances of final drive unit within the transmission housing and does not pose any drivability concerns. Further more the clunking noise is a characteristic driveline engagement sound and within normal levels for MPS model vehicles.

The funny thing is I took it to one dealer at the start of the case and they were hopeless. They said the found excessive noise from LH gearbox mounting and would need to replace that first at a cost of $460 then will need to be re-diagnosed. I told them where to go because I had just installed a cs gearbox mount so knew they were full of shit. Bad customer service too. I still had to pay $65 for them to give me that report.

The second dealer actually tried to help me out and had a tech guy come out to have a look after they could not find where the noise was coming from after putting 'ears' on the car. They did acknowledge that they could hear a knock evident during acceleration and deceleration after changing gears. I still had to fork out $65 for them to tell me stuff I already knew. Basically the tech guy came out at an arranged time and looked over my car, put his report in to Mazda Australia and I eventually received a letter weeks later from a bloke in the office.

Others also think it is the axle shaft (pass side) where it splines into the main shaft that comes out of the trans itself.

I don't get it because we have a normal mazda 3 and it makes no driveline noise....

So there ya go, I saved everyone a couple of months of stuffing around with Mazda Australia. If you want to follow it up yourself, I still have the letter and the blokes name from national customer support.

Default Mazda 3 MPS Gen II problems you have had, warranty fixes

My cruise control would not keep speed
    I told the dealer and they told my a ECU update was out

Once they updated it, Cruise worked fine

I have a 2009 GenII MPS
    Last edited by slixx; 07-04-2015 at 08:26 AM.

My cruise control would keep speed
    I told the dealer and they told my a ECU update was out

Once they updated it, Cruise worked fine

I have a 2009 GenII MPS
    Do you have the rocking in the drivers seat as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Matty B View Post
    Do you have the rocking in the drivers seat as well?
    No, but not sure how they may be linked
    The Cruise problem is software problem

The rocking sounds like a physical one

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

No, but not sure how they may be linked
    The Cruise problem is software problem

The rocking sounds like a physical one
    I know they're not related, just another common problem with the Gen 2's.

Sorry mate. My chair seems to be fine

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast