User Tag List

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazda 3 MPS Gen II problems you have had, warranty fixes

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPS View Post
    Another one here with this annoying knock. Just ticked over 9000ks and loud knock has developed in the drivers side rear over pretty much all but the smallest bumps. Will definately get the RSB checked at the 10K Service.

I too have the pitiful searching Cruise Control. Yet to have it disengage though...

One more thing I have noticed it a light thud when the clutch is depressed between gear shifts - especially 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd.. Has anyone else noticed this?? Best I can describe is first gear, accelerate normally > Clutch in > *thud* > shift. Same into third also. Its only subtle and seems to be coming from the rear. I have wondered if it may be slight exhaust pop? but I dont think so, just not sure! Shifter feel is still normal between gears. its pretty annoying having a thud every change and a knock every bump!
    Hey mate,

Just going over this thread and wondering if you found the problem and solution to the thud noise you were hearing through the gear shifts?? I am experiencing it and want to get to the bottom of it!

The thud/clunk during shifting is related to the driveshafts. There is a little bit too much play in them. This thread on the mazdaspeed forums details it. Apparently you can replicate the noise under the car by hand. Mazda are aware but there is not fix. My closest dealer shrugged his shoulders.

Pop/thump/clunk noise (gear changes) Found!! - Mazdaspeed Forums

This is one thing that really pisses me off about this car. Get your shit together Mazda.

Yeah I read that the other day but was hoping it wasn't true as I wanted a fix for it. Others have said replacing either transmission mount, rear engine mount, inserts etc have fixed the problem. Not sure what to do now..

I replaced my rear engine mount, shifter bushings and put in a short shift plate and it made no difference. I thought it did at first, but its still there.

what about transmission mount? transmission fluid even?

that sucks though... can you also replicate the noise by planting your foot on accelerator when either in 3rd of 4th? Mine does which has nothing to do with gear shifting..

I noticed members reddjinn, shaneski, yldcrd, 3mps and prettyredmps have spoke about this issue on the thread. If you guys had any updated info on this, would be great to know.

No, haven't touched the other mounts. I did replace the tranny fluid with some Castrol Syntrans at $30/litre. that took care of the wong wong noise and made shifts a lot smoother but the thud is still there. This is on a late 2011 model with 23,000km on it.

Yeah I can also replicate it in gear by backing off the accelerator and then getting on it again. That makes me tend towards it being the shafts, like was discussed on the mazdaspeed thread.

Slack in the drivetrain makes any car feel like shit, so I'm not too happy about this.

I'm going to get under the car in the next few weeks and try and replicate it for myself to make sure.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing the same thing. Mine is a 09 with 50k on the clock. That syntrans is expensive! I was going to go with the vmx80, but they suggest change it at 100k mark. I did take a 2010 mps lux for a drive last week and it didn't make any noises... Will do a bit more research before getting mazda involved.

Have you done any other mods? I was thinking of changing the transmission mount insert and motor mount insert for the corksport ones as I have heard good reports. Most likely keep the car fairly stock.

It is expensive but I was getting the wong noise at 21,000km on the original oil!

The only mods are jbr rear motor mount and ssp. I'm not totally happy with the ssp as it keeps hitting my airbox despite raising it. The motor mount is a bit vibey and I have put 2000km on it so I'll see if it settles in a bit more.

I'm thinking of trying the inserts as the missus is starting to complain about vibes as its her car actually (I bought it as a replacement for her old car).

what exactly is this wong noise? Yeah I don't want to change the mounts if it increases vibrations in the cabin.

Its hard to describe but you will know it if you hear it. If I turned right (as in hook the wheel hard right) from a standing start you could hear this cyclical deep sounding noise that would speed up as you went faster. Its in the diff somewhere from what I remember. Also got it when doing u-turns and reversing out of my driveway.

The rear engine mount makes a huge difference to the way the car feels (better gear shifting, less torque steer) but the trade off is vibes. I got the softest mount from Jbr (70 duro) and there are still vibes on clutch take up point and over run. If it decreases further then I'll be happy but the way it is now its enough to be annoying in stop start driving.

Edit - @haveheart, your post (#405), if you want to get a members attention, add a @ in front of their username.
    Last edited by Brissy_MPS3; 19-02-2014 at 03:14 PM.

haha, cheers still learning
    @3MPS @prettyredmps @YLDCRD @shaneski @RedDjinn

12. Default

My CPE 60 duro is stil holding fine after 35000ks, the stock mount had a distinct clunk/grind from 3rd to 4th, the CPE 60 duro eliminated it ans never had any vibes...i do plan on getting the corksport tranny mount insert since it's cheap and easy to install for when i go slicks for drags/track..i will probably end up needing driver sid emount of some sort as with slicks.

13. Default

anyone manage to have there headlight replaced due to condensation? warranty ran out late last year. and RHS headlight bulb has blown. noticed theres been a fair few TSB regarding headlight condesation and such.

Have seen this issue on navaras due to the stop light switch (little switch on brake pedal) not sitting correctly so the car thinks you have applied the brake but you haven't. Obviously there is also a switch one on the clutch pedal. The fault could be mechanical but unlikely due to age of car. More likely to be the switch open circuiting. Hyundai had this issue we had a big recall on them. Could also be the cruise switch. Dam intermittent faults are hard to diagnose though. Let me know how you go.
    cheers joel the technician.

15. Default

I'm still getting the knock from front left/right struts on light-heavy acceleration over uneven road, been back 3 times now. Also found a knocking noise from the passengers door and found something is loose inside.

Mazda have got to be the worst mechanics I have dealt with in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by RotarySnail View Post
    I'm still getting the knock from front left/right struts on light-heavy acceleration over uneven road, been back 3 times now. Also found a knocking noise from the passengers door and found something is loose inside.

Mazda have got to be the worst mechanics I have dealt with in a long time.
    Dealerships have some old school Manager who doesn't want to get his hands dirty then get some apprentices to do the job who don't give to hoots. Last time I went to the dealership was to get my squeaky clutch peddle fixed under warranty. They changed the slave cylinder and had to take the TMIC off to do so. They cut the pipe that goes from the TMIC to the Turbo housing so they taped it up. Unfortunately I didn't notice until I felt the boost totally go under load. Checked the pipe and there was a cut in it probably from some careless install at the back of the firewall side. They used black thick tape which dislodged during the hot summer. W _ _ _ e r s !!!!

No passion no pride in workmanship. I see it all the time and its a pity coming from someone who has been in the service industry for nearly 20 years.

17. Default

Haha im a dealership mechanic myself and it does tend to gp that way alot.

Bought a brand new car so that i could work on other peoples cars to make money. But looks like i still need to diagnose everything myself.

Hey guys,

I have searched the web trying to find a answer to my problem with no luck so I thought I would put it on here and see if I get a solution to my problem.

I am experiencing a slight knocking sound as well as a rubbing, chirping squeaking sound. I am confident it is in the rear. The knocking doesn't sound like something is loose though. More so sounds like something is getting loaded up or under stress. I usually only hear both noises when driving up my street. Only when i turn left... The street is pretty hilly I might add. I have heard it slightly when going over a few bumps also, only the rubbing squeaking sound. Doesn't make any noise when I go up driveways/kerbs. I took it through the hills the other day and could hear squeaking/rubbing sound when taking flat left bends around 80km. Besides that I never hear it which is odd...

Sway bar and end links are upgraded and have had end links off, and still made the noise. Thought it may have been exhaust but definitely is not. Confident its not callipers/brake pads. Have applied brakes during left turns and still makes noise. Pads are new and e-brake tight. I did recently get new springs and shocks installed and had an alignment done. Not sure if one of them could be causing the issue? Checked all bolts, nuts, everything is tight! Only other thing I can think of is worn bushes but car has only done 55,000km!

Its just one of those noises that pisses me off every time I drive up my street!
    I would take my mechanic for a drive but its not a noise I can just keep producing.

19. Default

If you have corksport airbox with their intake it will make an annoying noise on and off throttle..Metal rubbing on fibreglass..These cars are weird you think a noise is coming from rear etc turns out it is coming from the front or opposite side

Nek minnut @dazza

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast