User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Paint Protection Kit

Default DIY Paint Protection Kit

Hi Guys,

We have put together a kit to suit new or near new car owners looking for a DIY alternative to the dealer paint protection. This kit contains all the products and tools required for initial application, and then also maintenance of your paint protection. It also comes with a savings of 10% when compared to buying the products separately.

Prima Amigo - A polymer based pre-cleaner designed to prepare the surface and allow optimum bonding with your sealant and the painted surface

Prima Epic - A synthetic wax or "sealant" that uses cross-linking polymers to bond to the painted surface and create a barrier against environmental damage

Prima Hydro - A Synthetic spray sealant design to "top up" and maintain your paint protection. Used monthly this product will boost the durability of the polymer sealant beneath.

2 x Microfibre towels

1 x Microfibre applicator

2 x foam applicators

For more info on this kit visit our website at this link Paint Protection Kit or feel free to contact myself directly or even post questions in this thread for other members to benefit from.

If you haven't already, don't forget to register with us for a forum discount and save an additional 10% on this kit.

can you pm me some more info on these products?
    maybe for wholesale purchasing

No worries mate. PM sent.

Hi All

I can honestly say that Prima is awesome stuff.

I've used it, as has baglady, with excellent results.

Thanks Dan

Hi Joel, a brief question from a lazy bugger! But I had my car paint protected with Defence Pak from new, been pretty happy with the results of their recoating every year and after 3 years it's still looks great. My main reason for gettting it done is because I am time challenged So for someone who's only ever washed their car and not done this, how long would you estimate the process to take? If it's not too long I'll get myself a kit and start doing my own protection
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Ok well I'll try and break down the whole process and give you an idea.

1. A pre-wash with dishwashing liquid. This will strip the paint back and give it a good clean removing any old wax etc. With drying probably 30 mins

2. Pre wax polish with Prima Amigo. This is where you'll put in the most effort. You are probably looking at up to 1 hour to complete.

3. Application of Prima Epic - you apply it to the whole car and then leave it to set for at least 30 minutes. The application probably takes 5-10 mins. The removal another 5-10 mins. You can layer this product. 3 layers will give maximum results but 1 layer is "sufficient".

At that point you are finished. All you do from then on is once a month with your wash you apply the Prima Hydro as a booster.

So for a single layer of Epic you would need about 2-3 hours. The first hour and a half is you washing and cleaning. Then you apply the sealant. Wait a while, and then remove.

If time isn't a restriction then over a period of a weekend you would do it by applying multiple layers and allowing the residue to sit as long as possiblr before removing.

PostmanDan can probably give you some excellent advice. He WAS a self confessed novice when it comes to this. Went through the whole application by himself and learnt from some mistakes. Now he's a pro. Probably the biggest mistake people make is applying the Epic too thick. Less is best.

I pretty much followed Joel's advice, but also included a few extras:

Exactly what Joel just pointed out.

Heres how I did it:

1. On Saturday morning, washed the entire car with Morning Fresh - used a relatively strong mix, wanted to ensure I got all waxes, oils and cr@p off the car. Important, do not let dry, and deffo do not do this in direct sun. Once washed, rinse well, and dry with microfibre drying towel (available from ZAS).

2. Reverse into garage, apply Amigo.

It goes on just like a polish. Apply and remove like you would any other polish. Buff off with microfibre polishing cloth.

3. Apply 1st layer of Epic.

Make sure you're in a well ventilated environment. This stuff can cause headaches! Apply it VERY thin. The surface should look oily more than anything. It will dry to a slight haze - it'll resemble a dull look on the paint. If it dries white, you've applied too much. I let this set over night.

4. This step is optional in my own opinion - either remove the first layer of epic, or you can apply the 2nd layer of Epic right over the top. I applied the 2nd over the top. The main reason for doing so, is that you get 100% coverage over the car. Once you're satisfied that it's completely covered, let it sit again. 3-4 hours is ok, I once again, let it sit over night.

5. Monday afternoon I removed the Epic. This buffs off pretty easy, but you can apply some Hyrdo which assists.

6. Optional: I washed the car with Mystique - it has polymers and brightners in it. Once I dried it with the drying towel, I applied a full cover of Hydro again.

It does sound long winded, but hey, it saves a packet when it comes to protection.

I wash my car once a week, and use Slick (another Prima Product) most weekends, to give a deep glossy shine. Every 3rd weekend, I use Hyrdo to top up the cover.

I've got a picture at home I'll upload to show what the Epic should look like!
    Last edited by CharlieBrown; 04-12-2009 at 04:04 PM.
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Thanks for that info Dan

The only thing I can add is if you are going to give it a wash, make sure you have left the Epic for 24 hours beforehand to cure.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post
    The only thing I can add is if you are going to give it a wash, make sure you have left the Epic for 24 hours beforehand to cure.
    I am almost certain I did - Cus I missed trivia at the pub to wash it!
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

. The joys of owning a black MPS. Makes you obsessive.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post
    . The joys of owning a black MPS. Makes you obsessive.
    You speak from experience

How do you think I got into this business? What better way to supply my own addiction!

Thanks Dan and Joel, great info I'm now keen to do this myself so will order some goodies off you when I get home, I'm also quite excited by this

Great stuff ZAS and Dan .

just a quick question, Do I have to use dishwashing concentrate or is what ZAS is selling - meg's car wash; or turtle wax car wash adequate? Have tried dishwashing liquid when i washed my dad's car ( a long long time ago) and the car's paint sure didnt look it was worth sealing . Is the Mystique similar to a wax like OCW?

I own a 2008 Gen1 MPS metro grey example and looks like i need to start looking after it after driving up and down highways because of those darn bugs and crap

You don't "have" to use the dishwashing liquid, but it is a good way of stripping some of the crap back due to the detergents involved. It's definately not something you do regularly though. Just before initial application.

If the paint is in poor condition though then I recommend you use a clay bar. Especially if it has been etched from the bug guts. Once you get it clean, then the Amigo is what will prep the paint ready to seal.

Thanks ZAS. Thanks for answering all these questions. The Prima Amigo, Epic and Hydro.. they are ok to contact with non painted plastic and rubber?

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    The Prima Amigo, Epic and Hydro.. they are ok to contact with non painted plastic and rubber?
    Try not to get the Amigo or Epic on rubbers/plastics.

Hydro isn't as harsh, so doesn't really matter as much.

I tried to avoid plastics/rubbers as much as possible.

You will be impressed at the shine, and the continued "smoothness" of the paint!

The application of Epic is the most important stage of this process. It is very important not too apply it too thick, as this can cause issues getting it off - don't dispair however, as Hyrdo will loosen it all up anyhow. The pictures below show how thin this application is.

Remember, it is possible to apply layer after layer on top of each other (ensures 100% coverage).

Last edited by CharlieBrown; 15-05-2010 at 03:14 AM.

Awesome pics Dan

Like Dan said, avoid your trim with the Amigo and Epic. If you get a tiny bit on there it will just wipe off without staining, but if you coat the trim then no doubt it will stain.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast