User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY Paint Protection Kit

Sweet, glad you got it before christmas. Things are a bit dodgey with all these Aus Post strikes.

Looking forward to the pics. I've gotta do my own car actually. I tested out a new product from the US which is a "clay block". Piece of sponge/plastic that you use instead of a clay bar. Scratched the absolute crap out of my car. Needless to say I won't be selling that to you guys

that would suck for all the scratches it caused. Just clayed my car...not easy at all...and realised that it wont remove the tar and bug spots... must remember next time to use the bug and tar remover before claying...

Also just a tip for anyone...when doing anything on the roof dont lean on the roof with elbows...i didnt know the roof of the Gen1 MPS was so soft that leaning on my elbows caused small indentations on the roof... wth

dunno what i'm gonna do to get those indentations out now

Yes it does suck! But my poor car is a test bed for quite a few things. Most of the time that's a good thing. But then every now and then it's bad.

The clay should remove those spots. Just takes a bit of work. But you are right. A quick going over with degreaser or bug and tar remover will save a lot of time.

Spewing about the roof. You think the MPS is bad. You should see how thin my wifes Fiesta's roof is. Just the weight of the machine polisher makes it dip!

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    that would suck for all the scratches it caused. Just clayed my car...not easy at all...and realised that it wont remove the tar and bug spots... must remember next time to use the bug and tar remover before claying...

Also just a tip for anyone...when doing anything on the roof dont lean on the roof with elbows...i didnt know the roof of the Gen1 MPS was so soft that leaning on my elbows caused small indentations on the roof... wth

dunno what i'm gonna do to get those indentations out now
    A "dent doctor" might be able to get those out. Shame to hear!!

The roof on the gen2 is soft as well, when im applying Hydro or Slick, If you apply too much buffing pressure, you see it "flexing"

No divits yet!!
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Dent doctor gets my vote!!!!

Hi All

New to this forum. It's great to have one for MPS owners/followers/enthusiasts !

I have a 2006 MPS 6 in Liquid Silver. Much like a few others on this part of the forum, I love keeping my car clean and shiny.

I have always used Meguiar's but reading a few of the threads here, it looks like Prima Car Care stuff is highly rated.

If people had a choice between Meguiar's (e.g NXT, Gold Class etc) and Prima, what would people go for ?

I'm super tempted to try Prima to see if it makes a difference...

Plus, 10% discount from ZAS is great too...

Cheers
    Hobi

G'day Hobi

Prima is great stuff - Its all I use now!

Joel is always on hand to offer assistance on the products too.

I've got the complete Prima Suite, and i'll only use that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobi View Post
    Hi All

New to this forum. It's great to have one for MPS owners/followers/enthusiasts !

I have a 2006 MPS 6 in Liquid Silver. Much like a few others on this part of the forum, I love keeping my car clean and shiny.

I have always used Meguiar's but reading a few of the threads here, it looks like Prima Car Care stuff is highly rated.

If people had a choice between Meguiar's (e.g NXT, Gold Class etc) and Prima, what would people go for ?

Cheers
    Hobi
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Quote Originally Posted by Hobi View Post
    Hi All

Cheers
    Hobi
    I too can also say that ALL I use is Prima Products.

I currently have the following products for interior/exterior cleaning/protection:

Prima Paint Protection Kit, which contains the following:

Prima Amigo [Polish]
    Prima Epic [Synthetic Wax]
    Prima Hydro [Sealant]

The kit also comes with the microfibre towel, foam pad and applicators.

Prima Nourish [Leather Cleaner/Care]

Prima Nero [Interior Cleaner] Also works fine on exterior plastics, and if you don't like your tyres to overly gloss, this product works great on the tyres and lasts much longer then most tyre gels.

Prima Mystique [Car Shampoo] This product I would definitely recommend to wash your car with. It contains brighteners and polymers in it that will leave your car shining. I've compared it to other shampoo's and as they both do leave a clean shine after drying, Prima Mystique just SHINES!

Prima Clay Bar Kit [200g Clay Bar + Prima Glide] I am yet to use this as I went over my car and didn't really feel that it needed a clay bar [I dont do much highway driving etc, and also havn't clocked that many kms yet]

Prima Wheel Armour is also a great product as the MPS is known to shed alot of brake dust. It makes it that bit easier to clean your wheels on the next wash also.

For all cloth's and washing mitt's I use the ZAS brand, they're of high quality and a great price especially with the 10% off. I'm pretty sure the cloth's would have been tested on Joel's car prior to him deciding where to get them from

So I would recommend you try at least one Prima Product and i'm sure you'll be back for more :]

Thanks PostmanDan and Sikdailo

What great endorsements.

I am really excited about ordering some products from ZAS. Joel says they should be back in stock at the end of the week. Better put in my order now !

I generally clay bar (meguiars) to give the beast a nice glass finish, before waxing etc. Having seen some examples of the DIY/Prima products use, very convincing.

I can't wait to get the MPS all shiny and glossy.

I definitely agree the MPS wheels/brake dust problem is a super hassle. One minute it looks great when all clean, then 5km down the road, BRAKE DUST ! arghhh...

Will definitely try Wheel Armour too....anything to make it less back breaking to clean will be beneficial.

mmm... so many things to order..... its like christmas again, but in January!
    Weeeeeeee....

Great to hear you guys are loving the Prima products. That's the best thing about running this business is helping people achieve something.

Hobi, our stock is coming in tomorrow. Everything is available online now, but most likely the items that were out of stock won't ship until Monday.

A whole bunch of new things too, but I'll do another thread for that.

Hi noob here
    Have a month old gen 2 mps
    I was thinking of doing this paint protection. Would it be bad to wash the car with those automatic touchless car washes and dry with a microfibre cloth then do the paint protection?
    Also, do I wax the car on top of the paint protection?
    Thanks

Hi hng

The problem you'll have with the automatic wash is that it won't clean properly. Then as soon as you start drying with your microfibre you are dragging all those dirt particles across the paint.

If you don't have anywhere suitable to wash your car, or water restrictions are a problem, the best thing to do is go to one of the DIY car wash places. Take your own bucket, sponge/mitt, shampoo and just use their high pressure hose to rinse etc. You'll probably have to go do it in off-peak periods so people don't get the shits with you.

Next you clean the paint with the Amigo which is basically a non-abrasive paint cleaner (among other things) then you apply the Epic.

The Epic is a synthetic wax and this is your protection. You then use Hydro once a month or more to maintain this protection for a longer period. The Hydro is a quick way of adding another coating which then extends the life of your base sealant. Hope that helps

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Sorry guys just had to put this kit out of stock as we have run out of Epic. Shipment arrives in a few weeks

Thanks for the reply ZAS.
    We do indeed have water restrictions. Yeah the place has no bucket wash signs around but it doesnt appear there's anyone supervising the place. Maybe some ninja bucket action is required. What's a good shampoo? I've just been looking at Armorall car wash and thinking of using that the one without the wash and wax.
    I guess i'll wait till you get more stock!

I'm not too sure about the Armorall stuff. As long as it's wax friendly then you'll have no dramas. I know they have a heavy duty shampoo that would be no good.

Definate ninja bucket. Just go at night and you'll probably run into everyone else using their buckets!

Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post
    The Epic is a synthetic wax and this is your protection. You then use Hydro once a month or more to maintain this protection for a longer period. The Hydro is a quick way of adding another coating which then extends the life of your base sealant. Hope that helps
    ...And then you can do what I do, and that is use Prima Slick during the "in between" washes (ie. when you're not using Hyrdo, use Slick instead).

The finish is amazing!

Well, just re-done the entire car again from the start... 2 more coats of Epic to go! (Two days later, i'll be able to drive again!!)

HAHA, I'm having issues doing it again. I need to re-apply too. But my garage sucks big time. After a cold winter night, which is most nights right now, the moisture from the ceiling drips onto my car. F*%&#(&*@%&(%#(!

Any ideas guys?

Quote Originally Posted by sikdailo View Post
    HAHA, I'm having issues doing it again. I need to re-apply too. But my garage sucks big time. After a cold winter night, which is most nights right now, the moisture from the ceiling drips onto my car. F*%&#(&*@%&(%#(!

Any ideas guys?
    Is your garage totally enclosed?

Mine is, no issues.

Any ideas guys?
    buy a plastic sheet + some string/rope to hang it over the car?
    $40 from local hardware store + 30-40 minutes work in the garage (assuming easy places to tie it down etc...)
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Any ideas guys?
    My suggestion is apply the Epic but don't remove the residue. Leave it on overnight and as long as the water isn't "flowing" onto your car the residue on the surface should stop any watermarks forming and the sealant should still cure underneath. In the morning buff off the residue

EDIT - The post above is a good idea too. Or if it's just one of those light plastic sheets place some microfibre cloths (or rags) on any corners it might rub and just drape it over the car.
    Last edited by ZAS; 13-07-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast