User Tag List

Thread: Stone Chips...

1. Default Stone Chips...

Not sure if posting this in the correct forum.. more of a joke than anything else..

Had my new mps just over 2 weeks now.. Had to wash it 3 times in that period.. Seems a given that every time you wash a brand new car, you find some little tiny chips in the paint caused by flying objects

So far the formula is as follows:
    (Number of stone chips) = (times washed) - 1

At this rate there will be holes all over the place in a few weeks!!

On a more serious note, any tips on getting rid of them? Did send Dan an email about a week ago to get my car detailed after initial purchase and he's booked solid for the year. Will probably just wait for him to get back to me in the new year and get the job done properly.

Be careful with the stone chips. I've tried twice to fix mine and both attempts have been what I class as a failure.

Attempt 1 - Touch up guys - Although they did an excellent job, I could still see ripples in the paint surface from where the stone chips were. I am pretty fussy though. Most of the time you could notice it.

Attempt 2 - Front end respray - The guys did a shithouse job. I got a couple of fish eyes and my front bar has started to crack everywhere. It looks like they put it on too tight or something and the stress of these 2 bolts at the front has cracked the paint. I moved not long after it was done, so to get it fixed I'd have to go back to where I was living (500km away) and stay there for a week while they do it again which is impossible.

I know a couple of other excellent detailers in the Sydney metro area. Try Superior Shine Mobile Car Detailing or if he is booked out try Reflect Effect

check these out from my car about 8 months ago.
    result of a bad resray on front end after i hit a hare and destroyed my front bar, when they replaced the bar and resprayed it the paint didnt take to the plastic,
    it just flaked off with every little stone or bit of debris hitting it.
    end result what i get for it; a complete new front bar and full respary, no issues since!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chips.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	1837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chips2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	1838  

I have about 50 chips on my bonnet and bumper. My car isn't garaged at the moment . But when I do find her a home I'll be respraying the front end. Maybe even the whole car!

might be worth considering a 'clear car bra' (eg OziCozi). Gives good protection and is barely noticable

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post
    I know a couple of other excellent detailers in the Sydney metro area. Try Superior Shine Mobile Car Detailing or if he is booked out try Reflect Effect

Why not try DMSDAN
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Why not try DMSDAN
    Quote Originally Posted by tonks39 View Post
    Did send Dan an email about a week ago to get my car detailed after initial purchase and he's booked solid for the year.

8. Default

hehe for the info guys.. i'm just happy counting them at the moment.. will worry about resprays etc in a few years time. not a big fan of the car bras either. although maybe i could find one to cover up that god awful smile a lot of you gen1 people complain about!

am in the process of getting garage built at home.. and am lucky enuff to have underground car spot at work..

I try to avoid chips

Luckily, Im in Brisbane, most of the roads are good.

Touching up chips takes alot of time. I've used both the toothpick application and the ultra fine art brush - dependant on the size.

If you're a perfectionist, see a professional, otherwise, with a steady hand, you can cover them up yourself, and it will be barely noticeable after a few days (once its settled down and dried out).

Good Luck!
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Dan did you buy a colour specific to our black mps gen II's cause i know ther are a variety of black paints out there. I drive country QLD and touch wood haven't seen any chips, just LOTS of bugs, maybe even the bugs are protecting my car!! haha

Bugs don't cause chips, rocks flicked up from other cars/trucks do.

Mazda has touch up paint, you'll need your paint code. I've heard that they may stop supplying touchup paint. So you might find that a panel beater might be able to mix up something, matched to your paint.

When you do get the paint chips fixed I would strongly recommend a clear protective film on the front of the car. I had the whole kit installed from Ozicote for approx $800, the kit does the whole front end up to 400mm up the bonnet, side view mirrors & rear bumper. No complaints & it is hardly noticeable.

mauotmotive designs on the gold coast quotes about this price too.. see thru etc etc!!
    i did think about it.. now its to late