User Tag List

Thread: Castrol VMX-80 in Gearbox ?

Default Castrol VMX-80 in Gearbox ?

I have clocked 67,000km with no gearbox issues but have read it would be a good idea to replace the oil well before the 100,000km. I notice people have been using fully synthetic oils either Castrol Syntrax 75-90 or Redline MT-90 in 1L bottles. It is a costly exercise in using 1L fully synthetic oils, Scotts Auto 1 catalogue indicates to use Castrol VMX-80 (4L) in the MPS gearbox. I have used the VMX-80 in a race car & in my 4WD with no issues. Has anyone used the VMX-80 in their gearbox ?

hey,
    i haven't used the vmx-80 before, but it appears as though its a straight 80 gl3/gl4 oil.

the service manual recommends a 75w-90 gl4 for an mps3, so i am assuming that the mps6 gearbox is the same.

there isn't anything on the castrol website about it being compatible with LSDs either.

syntrax is a 75w-90 gl5 oil, which can work in the gearbox, but when i had it in there, it definitely wasn't as smooth as when i put 75w-90 gl4 oil in. so the correct castrol option would be syntrans 75w-85, which costs about the same (approximately $30 a litre).

if you know any mechanics who use elf oils, then they would most likely have a semi synthetic 75w-85 or 75w-90 gl4 oil in a barrel, should be able to get it for under $10 a litre. if it remember correctly, its just branded as "elf gear oil 75w-xx, GL4 suitable for LSDs".

otherwise, another option is redline mt-90 from performancelub.com

motul gear 300 isn't worth considering at its current price of at $39 a litre

out of all the ones mentioned, except for vmx-80 since i havent tried it, i recommend redline mt-90 as it was the best overall from my experiences with the mps3 gearbox

motul gear 300 is slightly smoother from 4-5, but the "feel" doesnt seem to last as long as the redline

hope this helps
    Last edited by kagerou; 04-12-2009 at 11:28 AM.

If you don't mind some heavy duty reading, have a look at the white paper that Matt posted here, very interesting:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...e-gearbox.html

Thanks for the replies. I will give the Castrol Syntrax a go as I can get it from my local Scott's Auto 1. This site recommends the VMX80 for the MPS as well.
    Castrol Australia - NetLube
    I'll will stick with the synthetic oils since there have been a few issues with the MPS gearboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by mav2777 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I will give the Castrol Syntrax a go as I can get it from my local Scott's Auto 1. This site recommends the VMX80 for the MPS as well.
    Castrol Australia - NetLube
    I'll will stick with the synthetic oils since there have been a few issues with the MPS gearboxes.
    castrol syntrax is gl5 not recomended in the mps transmission try syntrans gl4 i ran this in mine with better results than the factory fluid

I will make sure it is the Castrol Syntrans 75W-85. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mav2777 View Post
    I will make sure it is the Castrol Syntrans 75W-85. Thanks
    i am unsure whether i should use valvoline :

duragear semi synthetic 75w85 or syn gear full synthetic 75w90 ?

i assume the semi sythentic GL4 is better to use than the full synthetic GL5 ?
    Last edited by kovmps6; 09-12-2009 at 11:02 AM.
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack