User Tag List

Thread: Help me take II ....Tyre shopping..., wheel package or no wheel package.

Default Help me take II ....Tyre shopping..., wheel package or no wheel package.

Well... as few of you are aware, Im buying new wheels and of course I have been offered a wheel and tyre package. Dont panic though as Im aware that in most cases the tyres that come in those deals are crappy rubber but I couldnt help myself anyways asking what sort of tyres they can supply me with if I go for the wheel+tyre package, so here is the options:

Toyo Proxes4
    Toyo Proxes T1R.
    Dunlop DZ101
    Pirelli Dragon
    Pirelli Nero
    Michelin Pilot Sport 2
    Falken RT615

I want to hear from all the tyre gurus out there, your opinion on these tyres, specially if you have ever used them.

Cheers
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

2. Default

definately the Michelin Pilot Sport or second choice the Toyos

you sure it wasnt the Pilot Preceda 2 though as the Pilot Sport are much more expensive

They said sports not preceda...dunno.

I've had two sets of Proxes4's on the MPS, very happy with them, they're a good general purpose tyre and outstanding in the wet.

Wouldn't recommend T1S's for everyday use. I had a set of their predecessors the T1R which lasted just 8 weeks.

I've driven on the Dunlop's, they're a fine tyre but don't know how they would perform over the long term.

I have Michelin PP2's on at the moment and they are a superb tyre, but a bit ordinary in the wet. My last tyres were Pirelli Nero's which were by far the best tyres I've ever owned. Not the grippiest and fastest, but as an allrounder they did everything exceptionally well with no compromises or weaknesses. They were a pleasure to drive on, were quiet and had good wear.

If you can get Nero's for around $300 I'd highly recommend them. But if the price is higher I'd say have a look at Michelins or the Toyo's. I would also have a serious look at the Sumitomo, they'll probably be my next tyre.

Gone to Volvo

Just a gentle hint from a local tyre dealer -"check where they are made before purchasing" - some well known respected brands are being imported under licence and made in China with second rate synthetics.

I was shown an example while buying some Federal tyres a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rd415 View Post
    Just a gentle hint from a local tyre dealer -"check where they are made before purchasing" - some well known respected brands are being imported under licence and made in China with second rate synthetics.

Wow...thanks for the hint mate.

Im in brisbane while the wheel dealer is in Sydney, how can I check on the tyres?
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

So where are you at with this Al....

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    So where are you at with this Al....

My wheels wont be here until mid january early february so I have plenty of time to keep doing my homework with them and other tyre dealers to see where I can get the best price for the best tyres I can buy.

Quote Originally Posted by rd415 View Post

Spoke with them about this and this is what they told me:

"All our tyres are imported from either USA or Japan, we don’t import tyres from China. I will not sell you any name brand tyre made in China."

Good?

10. Default

Excellent they sound the goods

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

u got prices yet ... are we there yet

They gave me the homework to price the Proxes4, Pilot Sports and the RT615 with local shops and they promised to surprise me on how much better their prices would be

I run round with Dunlop SP9000.. Love them, but I think the Sportmax is the new one.

Interesting to hear why the T1R's were finished off so quickly.... I thought they were meant to be a great tyre... (Prolly were, thats why you finished them off so quickly!)

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

BTW was quoted 225/40 18" Toyo T1R's $250 a corner.

Is that good?

Quote Originally Posted by lazydog View Post
    BTW was quoted 225/40 18" Toyo T1R's $250 a corner.

Is that good?
    Yeah that is a good price, worth grabbing.

Quote Originally Posted by lazydog View Post

Interesting to hear why the T1R's were finished off so quickly.... I thought they were meant to be a great tyre... (Prolly were, thats why you finished them off so quickly!)[COLOR="Silver"]
    The T1R's are a great tyre, I'm not knocking them, just warning that they don't last real long. They were the highest performing street tyre I've run (not including R compounds like D78J), primarily because they are soft, but they handled the heat really well without becoming mushy. I probably enjoyed them a bit too much which didn't help their life expectancy.

Gone to Volvo

advan neova owns all

these should be an option for you aswell surely ?

but out of that list id go the falkens..

go check out some unbiased opinions about all the tyres on a place like www.tyrerack.com they have heaps there, full reviews and all.
    Last edited by heath_303; 07-12-2009 at 05:43 PM.

16. Default

I have just had set of Pirelli P Zero Nero's fitted to the MPS 6
    235-35-19's. took them on a quick run to Adelaide last week and they performed pretty damn well, especially up through some of the back roads in the hills.
    Bob Jane quoted me $539 per tyre
    St George ( on line tyre store via ebay ) quoted $1300 per set ( fitted and balanced )
    I eventually got them from Ozzie tyres ay Hoxton Park for $1200. This price was achieved with the aid of Daniel from the MPS Garage.

Whitewun

17. Default

Yeh Im thinking I might get them for my next set too