User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust stains around the tip

Default Exhaust stains around the tip

I don't know about you guys but I've got these black stains (more like dots I think) around my exhaust tip on the MPS 3 that are very hard to remove. I think the stains are from the exhaust fumes.

Any tips to get the exhaust tip nice and shiny again?

gentle stainless steel wool with some suds does the trick for me !

generaly means car maybe running rich or u put your foot down a lot if its leaving little spits around the tip on rear bar. just a bit of elbow grease is needed

Quote Originally Posted by remotegt View Post
    generaly means car maybe running rich or u put your foot down a lot if its leaving little spits around the tip on rear bar. just a bit of elbow grease is needed
    I think my car is running a little rich because it spits out some black dots on the garage floor when I warm it up in the morning. Is this a problem? I think all MPS's do run a bit rich though?

Stay away from steel wool - it's too abrasive, and any remnant wool fibres will rust in a day and may embed themselves in the surface you are trying to clean ands later promote more rapid corrosion. Use a good quality paste style metal polish. Or even Brasso from the deli if you can't find the paste stuff in tubes. If you do it regularly, you'll keep the job easy. Leave it for too long and it bakes on. It's a pretty aggressive mixture of stuff, a lot of it acidic sulphurous and nitrous compounds, emerging from the pipes at high temperatures and it can quickly etch its way into metals and onto surfaces.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

I second that no steel wool, plus you get condenstion in the pipes which doesn't help....

surely the exhaust steel would be stronger and able to withstand some 'steel wool' which is more likely cheap aluminium ? anyways, high pressure hose does the trick also

Steel wool comes from hydraulic rams!

It's steel, not aluminium (which would make a horrible mess).

Use a wheel cleaner and some elbow grease.....follow up with a metal polish!

Wash reguarly to avoid the build up

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Steel wool comes from hydraulic rams!

It's steel, not aluminium (which would make a horrible mess).
    wow didn't know that !

haha here I was thinking it was cheap rubbish.......

11. Default

I use a tube of automative paste cleaner on my exhaust tips every time I wash the car, leaves them shiny just the way I like them
    Last edited by blackbetty; 27-11-2009 at 07:28 AM.

Mine just comes off with a soapy sponge.......

hehe the nugget can turn the quad tips from shiny to matt black finnish after one mountian run

Use a creme clenser (Jif etc.) and rub firmly to remove the marks. Don't use anything abrasive.

My tip has it baked on, so I don't bother. I have the black spots on the white sticker at the top of my back window.

My driveway is noticebly stained black within 4 weeks of being pressure cleaned.

I found normal car polish cleaned mine up.

i can you help you with this oso good

just use a metal polish first and then clean with soapy water everytime you wash car.

18. Default

I use to use Mothers Metal polish on my Bravo's bullbar and also on its exhaust as that had a 2.25 sports exhaust with a chrome tip..

It must be good as thats the Mazda Furai on the front page

http://www.mothers.com/index.html
    Last edited by Team Green; 28-12-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    This is what I use too. Works a treat on all things metal.
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast