User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrust Bearing or Neutral Plain...

Default Thrust Bearing or Neutral Plain...

So, since ive bought the MPS i've noticed it noisier when the clutch is out then when its pressed the noise disappears.
    I took it back to Mazda (Still have factory warranty) and I thought it was thrust bearing, but the head mechanic recons its the Neutral Plain in the gearbox (apparently the equivilent of the 'driveshaft' on a RWD) however I've been told to come back in a month, if its noisier its the thrust, if not its the Neutral Plain. You can also hear it in 1-2-3 as well.

Has anyone else had issues narrowed down to the Neutral Plain, and what did Mazda do?

I have the same noise mate even in my gen II mps.

I plan on taking mazda to task on it once it starts driving me nuts lol.

I've got a couple of unusual sounds coming from my gen I MPS 3, clunky gear shifts and this sound you described when the clutch isn't pressed in (most noticeable in neutral for me, can't hear it through the gears, sound is quite faint).

If your problem is the same as mine then it's probably the thrust bearing. The service manager explained to me that it's the thrust bearing making the noise when the clutch wasn't in.

I'm getting the thrust bearing, clutch plate, basically the whole clutch replaced under warranty next week because of those two issues I mentioned.

ive got this noise to..doesnt seem to do anything. just crank the music up and you wont be able to hear it anymore lol

Mine does it too, and its getting worse

Yup...i have the same noise in my Gen1MPS3 with my clutch sounds like a faint "stone on stone" noise when the clutch is not pressed...

Looks like i have to bring it to mazda when i do my next service

i think i read somewhere even if u do get it replaced it will eventually come back

My 6MPS has a wierd, like, woosh sound constantly whilst driving in gear. Mazda cant figure it out, going to get a tech from mazda hq to chek it out apparently... sort of sounds like a bearing noise...

Quote Originally Posted by pHiLix View Post
    I've got a couple of unusual sounds coming from my gen I MPS 3, clunky gear shifts and this sound you described when the clutch isn't pressed in (most noticeable in neutral for me, can't hear it through the gears, sound is quite faint).

If your problem is the same as mine then it's probably the thrust bearing. The service manager explained to me that it's the thrust bearing making the noise when the clutch wasn't in.

I'm getting the thrust bearing, clutch plate, basically the whole clutch replaced under warranty next week because of those two issues I mentioned.

It could be either the thrust bearing or the neutral plain aparently as when its in neutral the plain sitting not spinning, kind of like the tailshaft, but when you kick the clutch in im not so sure. Their thinking is that in a months time the thrust bearing should get noisier. Pitty they couldnt just diagnose straight away.. or replace them both!

Quote Originally Posted by nath View Post
    It could be either the thrust bearing or the neutral plain aparently as when its in neutral the plain sitting not spinning, kind of like the tailshaft, but when you kick the clutch in im not so sure. Their thinking is that in a months time the thrust bearing should get noisier. Pitty they couldnt just diagnose straight away.. or replace them both!
    You could try another dealer if you're desperate to get things replaced. The first Mazda dealer I went to said that the noises were normal and not to worry about it but if it got worse, come back and see them. I went to another dealer and it was a different story, they offered replace more things than I expected.

Blog Entries

Hmmm mine just started doing this but now I'm worried about taking it into Mazda to check it since my car is a good year out of warrenty!!

Philix,

Could you mention which dealers are the ones you went to just for the information of the forum members here?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by pHiLix View Post
    You could try another dealer if you're desperate to get things replaced. The first Mazda dealer I went to said that the noises were normal and not to worry about it but if it got worse, come back and see them. I went to another dealer and it was a different story, they offered replace more things than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    Philix,

Could you mention which dealers are the ones you went to just for the information of the forum members here?
    Cheers
    Sure thing. The first dealer I went to was Penfold Mazda at Hawthorn. Second dealer was Dandenong Mazda for all you Victorians. Now I don't have to mention which one was good and which one was bad right? Easy enough to work out

Edit: Dandenong Mazda were kind enough to give me a courtesy car free of charge too.

14. Default

Hey guys. The thrust bearing noise is normal in the higher performance Mazda range. The RX-8 is recognised for this too.

I had the GenI which was noisy from the getgo and my brand new GenII does the same thing.

Responses vary from dealer to dealer but rest assured, you will still have the noise even after going through all the crap in getting clutch kits fitted under warranty. Generally once the kit is run in, the noise will be back to the same volume.

One thing to remember is that the dealer gets a paid rebate from Mazda Australia to do the work so it's another paid job for them.

Mazda did mention something about the RX-8 gearbox having similar noises. All depends on what it is I guess, but getting a 2nd opinion tomorrow.

waste of time getting it fixed it will always come back..

every manual car ranging from clubsport to tyre r to rx8 all had the clutch bearing noise.

my opinion if you don't want that noise get a automatic transmission

****** goes and orders auto mps****** oooops

Spoke to the other Mazda here in ACT. They believe its normal 'gearbox roll' where when the clutch is out the gears are rolling in the gearbox, clutch in stops the gears. They put it down to the gearbox loosening up, so obviously when the factory tollerances are achieved then it wouldnt get any noisier.
    Given my gearbox understanding i'd figure the lower gears are well cut given the torque the gearbox handles, and the way they are cut would be causing the slight wurr noise.

19. Default

I have got the same problem in my 3 MPS. bearing noise when in neutral clutch out. no noise with clutch presses. so far they have replaced the gearbox with a reconditioned one. but the noise was still there. now they want to do the clutch release bearing?? i know that is not going to fix it. does anyone know if there even is a fix? or should i stop being so picky?

also i have a bit of a crunch sometime when going 1st to 2nd but only when trans fluid is cold. anyone else had this? normal?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mpsss View Post
    I have got the same problem in my 3 MPS. bearing noise when in neutral clutch out. no noise with clutch presses. so far they have replaced the gearbox with a reconditioned one. but the noise was still there. now they want to do the clutch release bearing?? i know that is not going to fix it. does anyone know if there even is a fix? or should i stop being so picky?

also i have a bit of a crunch sometime when going 1st to 2nd but only when trans fluid is cold. anyone else had this? normal?

thanks
    I wouldn't bother. The noise comes back after a while. I got the thrust bearing replaced under warranty because of this issue and the noise came back after a few weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast