User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RenaultSport Megane R250 Cup

Default RenaultSport Megane R250 Cup

Renaultsport’s stripped-out hatch hits road.

Climbing to the top of the hot hatch league is tough – but Renault has already got the Cup wrapped up! The Renaultsport R250 Cup is an even more driver-focused version of the all-new performance Mégane, aimed at track day enthusiasts who favour thrills over comfort.

It ditches the leather sports seats in favour of a set of thin, tightly hugging Recaros. Plus, the Cup loses the standard car’s dual-zone climate control and automatic headlights – although this shaves £1,000 off the price in the process.

But the newcomer isn’t just a stripped-out version of the regular Renaultsport Mégane, because the engineers have sharpened it up, too. The suspension is 15 per cent stiffer, while thicker anti-roll bars and a limited-slip diff have been fitted. And the result is improved handling feel, reduced body roll and much faster cornering.

One feature that hasn’t been axed is the Renaultsport Dynamic Management button. Hit this, and the stability control doesn’t intervene so keenly, while throttle response is sharper, too.

The Cup sprints from 0-62mph in 6.1 seconds – the same as the standard car – but the changes to the chassis make for a far more engaging, raw driving experience, even at low speeds.

Just like the excellent Renaultsport Clio 200 Cup, the Mégane has immense grip, and corners quickly with precision. The step up in driver involvement between this and the regular car is huge.

To scrub off speed safely during intense track sessions, the brake discs are grooved. Plus, the calipers are painted red – and unless you climb into the driver’s seat, that’s the only way to tell the Cup apart!

Source: Autoexpress
    November 2009
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_341668_25.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	1704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_341671_25.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	1705   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_341674_25.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	1706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_341677_25.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	1707  
    Last edited by duglet; 18-11-2009 at 12:28 AM.

Default Renaultsport Megane R250

Here is the standard version released last month.

Sizzling Renaultsport R250 is unleashed – and our exclusive verdict reveals why ford’s Focus RS has plenty to fear

Stand well back – it’s the latest firecracker from France! The new Renaultsport Mégane R250 is the firm’s blazing response to the growing band of hot hatches hitting the market – and it’s certainly packing enough heat to frighten its rivals.

The company systematically improved the previous generation over the course of its five-year existence – culminating in the extreme, stripped-out R26.R version, which replaced the back seats with a roll cage and the glass rear screen with a sheet of plastic. Practical it wasn’t, but the swansong of the range was one of the best drivers’ cars money could buy.

This newcomer is nowhere near as radical as that, yet the look is still very striking. It takes the Mégane Coupé as a base, and the rakish shell is transformed with performance cues such as flared wheelarches, side skirts, an F1-style front ‘blade’ and a huge central tailpipe that sits inside an aerodynamic air diffuser. The styling is completed by 18-inch alloys as standard, or buyers can specify the polished 19-inch rims finished in black and silver, as shown here.

Inside, it’s not so dramatic, although there’s a distinctly yellow theme: the rev counter, seatbelts, steering wheel and gearlever stitching, plus some of the trim on the leather seats, are all a shade of lemon. But otherwise, it’s standard Mégane Coupé fare, and can’t match the exterior’s visual impact.

However, under the bonnet, it’s definitely not short on punch. The 2.0-litre turbocharged engine is a heavily revised version of the unit found in the previous car, boosted to give a mighty 247bhp and 340Nm of pulling power. It’s not the most tuneful four-cylinder in the world – despite whooshing loudly at high revs – but makes up for this with potent acceleration.

Power delivery is strong from as low as 1,500rpm, and never lets up until the needle hits the red line. The Renault sprints from 0-62mph in only 6.1 seconds, and even though all that grunt is transmitted through the front wheels, there’s no grappling with torque steer to keep the car in a straight line – it piles on the speed with remarkable composure.

The traction control has three modes, with the middle Sport setting (between on and off) dialling down the interference of the electronic safety systems without turning them off fully. Sport and off modes also sharpen throttle response and increase engine noise in the cabin, for a more intense hot hatch experience.

This standard version of the Renaultsport Mégane has clearly been built with day-to-day usability in mind, though, so the suspension is set up to be comfortable and supple on rough roads. At the same time, it enjoys corners. The ride is beautifully balanced, body roll is kept to a minimum, the steering is weighty and precise, and there’s plenty of grip available. In other words, the compromise between comfort and agility is superbly judged.

Yet buyers who want something a little bit rawer needn’t worry. A more track-focused Cup version hits showrooms at the same time as this standard car. The Cup brings stiffened suspension, a limited slip differential for less wheel spin and dispenses with some of the regular Renaultsport’s luxury kit. It also swaps the standard front seats for a pair of deep Recaro buckets – plus it weighs in at £1,000 less.

However, if you want the best of both worlds, the Cup suspension, limited-slip diff and more supportive seats can be specified on the standard Mégane 250 for an extra £2,000.

Source: Autoexpress
    October 2009
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_339547_25.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	1708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_339550_25.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	1709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_339553_25.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	1710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_339559_25.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	1711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_photo_339562_25.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	1712  

Last edited by duglet; 18-11-2009 at 12:30 AM.

New car Doug?

That thing looks awesome from some angles and has impressive specs, but kinda looks like Astra Coupe meets Focus in others if I was to get one it'd have to be black with black wheels, though the silver looks good Current wheels, look (in french accent) "how you say... different!"
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

White one is HAWT!

Me want

ooo me likey the look of that...not too sure of the rims. im with shakes about getting black with black rims. now that'll be sex

Has nothing on the Ford RS

IMO it looks ... and for all the PR garbage its numbers aint impressive at all.

Don’t mind the look. Looks quite nice.
    Interior is a bit bland

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Has nothing on the Ford RS
    Well sanchez..

The Nurburgring lap times tell a different story.

Ford Focus RS (224kW 440Nm) - 8m:26s

Megane R250 (184kW 340Nm) - 8m:16s

The Renault MéganeRS R26.R (170kW 310Nm) is the fastest FWD car on the Nurburgring.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    IMO it looks ... and for all the PR garbage its numbers aint impressive at all.
    Your right sanchez....numbers aint impressive...both the Focus and 3MPS have bigger numbers....yet the Megane still kicks butt

Oh...and dont get me started on the Gen1 3MPS

Mazda 3MPS (190kW 380Nm) - 8m:39s

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    Last edited by duglet; 18-11-2009 at 06:51 PM.

looks some what like a astra turbo i think but i quite like its looks!!!!

you dont get a 2nd chance a 1st impressions... but... well i liked this more the 2nd time i looked at it lol

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post
    Well sanchez..

The Renault MéganeRS R26.R (170kW 310Nm) is the fastest FWD car on the Nurburgring.

Your right sanchez....numbers aint impressive...both the Focus and 3MPS have bigger numbers....yet the Megane still kicks butt

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    Perople say the Gen 1 MPS was run completley stock....street tyres, suspension, no touching of anything.

Where as the megane and RS on slicks, suspension tweaking e.c.t?
    マツダスピード

good point above!!

Quote Originally Posted by LYNCHY View Post
    Perople say the Gen 1 MPS was run completley stock....street tyres, suspension, no touching of anything.

Megane was run on Toyo 888 which are a 2000 pound option....so it was run stock...and the suspension was stock for the model R26.R

So....nothing was changed or touched...it was STOCK

Happy Motoring
    duglet

from nurburgring lap times

* FWD record with Toyo R888 tyres (An optional extra on the road car)

Well sanchez..

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Except we would be driving this cars on the streets and not at Nurburgring

I would stick pick the Ford RS, no matter how fast the megane is around the Nurburgring still looks to me.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Well sanchez..

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    Hey Dug he may of backed off a little in the corners with that much power in the MPS
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

also it was done by an amateur, the Megane and RS would have factory backed drivers pounding out the laps to get the quoted times... give the 3MPS to someone who can really drive and watch the times tumble

Quote Originally Posted by heath_303 View Post
    also it was done by an amateur, the Megane and RS would have factory backed drivers pounding out the laps to get the quoted times... give the 3MPS to someone who can really drive and watch the times tumble
    I agree a more experienced driver will bring the times down....but not 23secs

I would think the MPS could shave about 10secs.

So i think about 8m:29s

I reckon they should test the new MPS with its better handling.

Either way....its gonna take a lot to beat a megane on the track.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

I like it...Classy and as usual with Renault...Unique lol.

schweeeet

White one is HAWT!

Me want
    +1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast