User Tag List

Thread: HKS SRi Intake - Review

Default HKS SRi Intake - Review

Ok so i have had the HKS Short Ram Intake in for a while now (approx 1200ks). I purchased it second hand off a member off the other forums.

The intake itself is of high quality and fitted like a glove on install. The hardest part of it was removing the bolt to attach the hold down bracket (#$%#@$% as skin came of my knuckles) but apart from that it is top notch. The entire install took approx 30mins. I have heard this and that about the HKS foam filters in various places so opted to fit a K&N to it in place of the provided (which the seller i got it off provided and recommended aswell). I have run the HKS a few times between services and the difference is minimal... the HKS one maybe being a bit noisier? The filter itself both HKS and K&N sit snug in behind the headlight.

The note of the intake with K&N filter attached is awesome. You can now here the turbo spool up and also when the BPV dumps you get the standard pssh noise. I think that it is much louder in cabin then what it actually is outside while driving. At full WOT it sounds best and when u hit the gear changes just right its a real short psst... sounds mad as... haha

Power wise i think the car has become more responsive and aggressive. I still notice it once the filter has had a fresh clean. I have not Dyno'd the car with the intake on so don't know on power it actually offers.

Aesthetically the stainless piping and blue rubber makes it look pimp as although i would rather red (note: red should only be used for highlights and feature parts of an engine bay. At no point should red be used for the entire or main theme of a car !!) ha

All in all i would highly recommend this unit to anyone. I would however suggest the swap to a K&N or other non foam filter of your choice if u can!

Picys:

Last edited by PaulG; 11-12-2008 at 08:59 AM.

BLACK 06 MPS3 - HKS SRi/K&N - SU REM - TWM STS & Bushings - Custom MP

What size is the MAF adaptor and does it have air straightners? Looks real neat, prob better than a lot of the others, esp with the pod filter instead of the yellow foam one (I have a green one on mine and hate it with a passion) was tight on space tho for the first trial.

Thanks for postin the write up mate.

3. Default

I logged in to specifically ask a question re my pod, and i thought this thread would be a good supplement so i will ask here instead.

I recently installed a turboXS SRI. i find that the performance is exactly opposite to yours - more lag and feels a lil 'choky'....could someone please explain why this is happening?

thanks

chris

Do you have a dashhawk? If so run a log with and without and see if there are y issues showing up. Are you getting hessitation on low revs and when you start to put your foot down? I would prob start another thread tho as this is more a reveiw of the HKS item.

Blog Entries

You may have the air filter too far up the pipe...thereby reducing the efficiency.

Not sure about your particular model SRI, but some others have reported this problem and that was the fix.

What size is the MAF adaptor and does it have air straightners? Looks real neat, prob better than a lot of the others, esp with the pod filter instead of the yellow foam one (I have a green one on mine and hate it with a passion) was tight on space tho for the first trial.

Thanks for postin the write up mate.
    By the size you mean the size of tube in that section ?? Or inlet size ?? If so i think its 80mm ??

Not sure on the Air straighteners ?? It doesn't directly say anything about them in any of the specs, however the original Filter has all this "Air Flow" stuff attached to it... all this plastic and directors and stuff ?? not sure if they help with that.... the foam part is fairly minimal compared the the housing it comes in....

The inside of the inlet tube where the K&N or any other filter is attached is Bell Mouthed... its not a square cut or anything...

I recently installed a turboXS SRI. i find that the performance is exactly opposite to yours - more lag and feels a lil 'choky'....could someone please explain why this is happening?
    i would also on top of what others said ... check all your pipes to make sure there secured nice and tight... ones off turbo.. and into and out of intercooler... just tighten up the clamps !!
    Last edited by PaulG; 12-12-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Could be the MAF sensor not reading correctly..

Or it could be just the fact that it's cheap chinese crap....

Not having a go, just have no time for Turbo XS.

Nevermind Guest

Ive heard that alot about TurboXS....

i was interested in the actual ID of the MAF housing (where the sensor fits onto) As for the straigtners, are you saying they were built into the base of the original foam filter?

10. Default

i have the same hks intake i think they call it racing suction intake lol. but love the thing though i still use the hks pod on it. still does the job sounds great to.

i was interested in the actual ID of the MAF housing (where the sensor fits onto) As for the straigtners, are you saying they were built into the base of the original foam filter?
    maybe... the plastic housing the filter comes in has all these fang-dangled plastic bits that would appear to direct air.... or just look cool ? haha

best pic i could find of it.... sorry no transalation.. haha

http://bp2.blogger.com/_0EEP6jcfWz0/.../rs_r_setu.gif