User Tag List

Thread: Prima Products - sequence of use.

Default Prima Products - sequence of use.

Recently picked up a bottle of Banana gloss, and have worked some lovely magic with this on my 6, on top of an initial layer of Mothers Pure Carnauba Wax. Have since been layering the BG on top of the Mothers stuff every fortnight, which has turned out brilliantly on my silver MPS6, with top ups of Hydro after each wash (once a week) - looking to add a couple of more layers of BG (probably 2 more) and then leave it.

However I have been looking at Prima Epic lately - mostly for my other car - which is Black. Have tried the BG on it, but there are still some swirl marks in the paint, which I am thinking of working with some Prima Swirl, then Amigo.

My question is, once the above the swirls are banished, should I use Epic as a Sealer, then layer BG on top, finishing with another Carnauba Wax of choice?

Yes you are correct. Always use Epic first before BG or any other carnauba wax. When layering you always apply the synthetic product before a natural product.

Another thing to remember is to make sure you let the Epic set for 24 hours before applying the Banana Gloss. For best results:

1. Apply the Epic and leave the residue on the paint for as long as possible. If you are applying it in the afternoon for example try leaving it overnight.
    2. Give the residue a light buff off, but don't worry too much about any that you miss.
    3. Apply a second layer of Epic leaving it as long as possible again and then buff off using your Hydro at the same time.

Although the bottle says 24 hours between layers, you can reduce this down to as low as 6 hours between layers. 24 hours is optimum though. The main idea of 2 layers is to ensure complete coverage, but it also adds to durability and depth of gloss.

Using Hydro aids with the removal of stubborn residue that might have gone on too thick and adds to the overall finish.

Banana Gloss contains a higher level of solvents, so make sure you leave the Epic 24 hours before applying this.
    Last edited by ZAS; 13-11-2009 at 09:12 PM.

3. Default

gday guys - I've recently bought a black 6 mps and have been doing a lot of reading in this forum to get some advice on getting the best finish out of the paint. The previous owner didnt take great care in cleaning, as there are a number of swirl marks and minor scratches on the paint surface. I think there are also some sap marks which appear to my novice eyes to have eaten through the top glossy layer of the paint and wont budge just by washing.

I have some questions that I hope you can help with. I'm pretty happy with the washing/drying methods - did this today and it looks significantly better than when I started, although using the megs shammy was a big tedious for drying I found.

Where I start to get confused is with the waxing - I have read the ZAS website but just wanted to clarify a few things. I have been looking at the paint protection kit on the site and like the look of it, but have also seen people using banana gloss or the finish kare high gloss sealant. Is it either/or? or do I have to wash/dry, use the paint protection kit and then wax? or Will using the kit wax as well as protect?

The other question I have is on the sap marks - will the above process help with that? or is there some other process I should use?

any help you can give me on getting a nice shiny finish and remove those blemishes would be great.

cheers

Rob

Hi Rob

Congrats on the purchase. A few quick answers to your questions.

Paint Protection Kit - This kit is everything you need on the protection side of things. Banana Gloss offers minimal protection, but is more a "beauty" product. It contains fillers that will conceal swirl marks and give a nice shine. It can be used with the Epic/Hydro combo if you are looking to incorporate this style of product too. The Finish Kare 1000P is a paste sealant. If you were to use this product it would replace Prima Epic (liquid sealant) in the order of things.

With regards to the sap marks, these will most likely need machine polishing. The Paint Protection kit won't help because Prima Amigo (pre-wax cleaner/polish) is too mild.

This is the area many people get stuck. They don't have the equipment which can get pretty expensive starting out. If you intend to use the machine and accessories regularly then we can supply you with a good machine for a novice and everything you need to get started including support, but if you feel it would be a one off just to fix the car up and then most likely not required again I would recommend using a professional to fix it up for you initially and then you can take over with the ongoing maintenance.

Let me know your location if you decide to go down that track and I will give you some contacts to detailers that can be trusted to do a good job.

5. Default

Thanks for the advice - I wouldn't mind a referral, but I live in Sale, Vic, which is not exactly central.. but if you know womeone nearish-by, that would be great.

I will place an order with you tomoz - here is what I have selected - anything else you would recommend?

Prima Banana Gloss Premium Liquid Carnauba Wax 473ml
    WAX LIQUID

Victoria Wax 17"x22" Cotton Detail Towel
    COTTON TOWELS

Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner 414ml (G7214)
    SPECIALS

ZAS 60x90cm Microfibre Waffle Weave Drying Towel
    MICROFIBRE

Prima Paint Protection Kit
    Last edited by avarice; 11-01-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Hi Rob

That is a good selection, but just curious why you chose the cotton over microfibre?

Some detailers are old school and love the cotton over the microfibre, so if that is why you went down that path then fair enough. Otherwise I would select this microfibre towel instead.

It is an offset terry, meaning one side is short, the other fluffy. You use the short side for the initial residue removal, then flip it over to the fluffy side for a final wipe.

Make sure you PM me your ZAS account details too so I can upgrade you to receive our forum discount.

7. Default

I chose the cotton cloth for use with the leather cleaner/conditioner as that is what I thought your website recommended. I am more than happy to go with whatever you recommend.

I suppose I should list what I bought at the local today - Megs gold carwash stuff, megs lambs wool mit, megs shammy, but was planning to replace that with your drying cloth.

I want all the prima products

Ah ok. Sorry, I thought you were planning to use that with the Banana Gloss etc. The cotton is no problem in that case, and the paint protection kit has all you need there too.

Quote Originally Posted by MISSMPS View Post
    I want all the prima products
    +1

same same
    "THE PATH OF THE GTI-R IS BESET WITH PERIL BY THE INJUSTICES OF THE SPEED CAMERA AND THE TYRANNY OF OTHER DRIVERS. BLESSED IS HE WHO OVERTAKES THE EVO & STI THROUGH THE VALLEY OF HAIRPIN TURNS, FOR HE IS TRULY HIS CAR'S TUNER AND THE FINDER OF LOST HORSEPOWER. . . AND WE SHALT STRIKE DOWN WITH GREAT BOOST AND FURIOUS ACCELERATION ON WHOEVER DOTH ATTEMPT TO OBSTRUCT OR DELAY OUR OVERTAKING. . .
    BMW M3 Evo Coming to the R stable soon. . .

There will be some new additions to the range this year too.

We were asked for some input and gave some ideas on what we would like to see from the Prima range but other than that not sure what to expect yet other than I know Prima will have their own clay bar at some stage in the near future.

Sweet, good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by avarice View Post
    gday guys - I've recently bought a black 6 mps and have been doing a lot of reading in this forum to get some advice on getting the best finish out of the paint. The previous owner didnt take great care in cleaning, as there are a number of swirl marks and minor scratches on the paint surface. I think there are also some sap marks which appear to my novice eyes to have eaten through the top glossy layer of the paint and wont budge just by washing.

I have some questions that I hope you can help with. I'm pretty happy with the washing/drying methods - did this today and it looks significantly better than when I started, although using the megs shammy was a big tedious for drying I found.

Where I start to get confused is with the waxing - I have read the ZAS website but just wanted to clarify a few things. I have been looking at the paint protection kit on the site and like the look of it, but have also seen people using banana gloss or the finish kare high gloss sealant. Is it either/or? or do I have to wash/dry, use the paint protection kit and then wax? or Will using the kit wax as well as protect?

The other question I have is on the sap marks - will the above process help with that? or is there some other process I should use?

any help you can give me on getting a nice shiny finish and remove those blemishes would be great.

cheers

Rob
    G'day Rob

Suggest you have a good read of this thread, and info in this thread.

I have a Black GenII MPS3 - and swear by Prima.

DIY Paint Protection
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    G'day Rob

Suggest you have a good read of this thread, and info in this thread.

I have a Black GenII MPS3 - and swear by Prima.

DIY Paint Protection
    Agreed! I spent 3 hours yesterday washing, polishing and waxing my car. Even after the Prima Amigo [Polish] I could already see the finish was going to be AWE-SOME! I can't wait to get home to apply the 2nd layer.

I also own a Black Gen II MPS3 and can also vouch for Prima Car Care Products. I pretty much use Prima everything. I'll be taking photos and posting them once i've finished applying my multiple layers of Prima Epic [Synthetic Wax]

I followed PostmanDan's write up on the DIY Paint Protection and it works a charm.