User Tag List

Thread: Badge Removal Method - With Pics

Default Badge Removal Method - With Pics

Hey guys,

Here is the method i use to remove badges and side moldings. It may be of use to some of you either now or in th future. Any questions just ask!

Disclaimer/warning: DMS Detailing takes no responsibility for any damage that occurs to your vehicle if you use this guide. We suggest you use due caution and common sense when using this guide. In cases where a sticker/badge has been on the car for numerous years it is possible to remove the clear coat. This is highly unlikely but possible.

Step One

Wash the area
    This means there is no dirt around for you to rub into the paint which has the potential to cause scratching. You will be left with this

Step Two
    Use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat the badge. This softens the adhesives and will make it much less likely you cause serous damage (as per the warning).

Now use a bit of fishing line to pull the badge off. Once you have lifted the leading edge you should be able to scrap the fishing line and just pull it off with your hands. Heat it as you go the keep the adhesives pliable.
    It will leave you with this

Step Three
    To remove the residual adhesives i spray it with Stoners Xenit and let it dwell for 5 or so mins. Im told eucalyptus oil works well but ive not tried. You could also try wax and grease remover. Be aware whatever you use will remove any wax you have on the paint.

Step Four

After it has sit for 5 or so mins gently use an old microfiber towel to remove the letters. This will swirl the paint for sure but it will be fixed soon. As the towel gums up keep turning it to expose a new section. I then Clay the area to ensure all adhesive is removed. Wash the area to remove all traces of the ahedsive remover/clay lube.
    It will look like this

Step 5

Polish the area to restore the colour/remove the swirls. I used the rotary, however it can be done by hand. I only used menzerna final finish on a white pad at 600 rpm so thats the least aggressive combo you will get.

Step Six

Once you have polished it wash/alcohol wipe the area to remove polish residue and follow with a coat of wax or sealant.

The final result will look something like this (these pics are pre wash and wax)

Step Seven

Crack beverage and admire

That's more or less exactly what I did minus the hair dryer, then again it's QLD and my car was in the sun =P

Quote Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
    That's more or less exactly what I did minus the hair dryer, then again it's QLD and my car was in the sun =P
    have you got pics of yours jeev, without the badging?
    Alcohol - Some Of The Best Times, You Will Never Remember

gr8 little guide much appreciated

5. Default

bout time you got those badges off. lol

Normally the first thing I do when I get a new car.

Good write up Dan.

Chris

Nevermind Guest

Are all the badges on the MPS stuck on without and holes, how about the mazda symbol?

7. Default

Not sure about the MPS range but the RX8 I did the other month I can say the RX8 badge was stuck on yet the mazda badge had locating pins as did the mazda logo.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    have you got pics of yours jeev, without the badging?
    You saw it yesterday! >.<

I also don't have door strips, as I think the door panels look much nicer uninterrupted.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nevermind View Post
    Are all the badges on the MPS stuck on without and holes, how about the mazda symbol?
    I took my MPS badges off just the other day.

The MPS and 3 is only held on with tape.

The "MAZDA" has 3 pins the flying M has 2 pins in the middle of the M on the \ and / it also has some tape.

I used fishing line to get all of them off. Then I sanded the Mazda logos applied 5 coats of satin black and put them back on. Leaving me with this...

Last edited by Crusher_13; 13-01-2009 at 11:27 AM.

Looks nice crusher! I like

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dan@Dmsdetailing View Post
    Looks nice crusher! I like
    Thanks mate.

Should probably take a photo with the flash just to show the badges properly...

dOttY Guest

I have removed the "3" badge. Looks wayyy better with just that removed! ...if I do say so myself! Used the good old fishing line trick too!

Cool all xcept mps removed

Hi all just thought would put this pic in had the holes welded up from the centre and mazda badge just leaving the mps badge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00493.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	188  

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MAD MPS View Post
    Hi all just thought would put this pic in had the holes welded up from the centre and mazda badge just leaving the mps badge
    How much was that for the welding and paint?

Quote Originally Posted by dOttY View Post
    I have removed the "3" badge. Looks wayyy better with just that removed! ...if I do say so myself! Used the good old fishing line trick too!

I like the symmetry but dislike the turbo badge. If it wasnt there everything would be perfect and level. I do hate badges though lol

I love the Turbo badge . Black TURBO against the Cosmic Blue looks sweeeet IMHO.

dOttY Guest

"Turbo Badge" gains 20KW!

Moved this from Detailing to How To's as is more relevent here

19. Default

Wow that is exactly what I wanted mine to look like - without the flying M. I was considering using rubber gromets painted to body colour to fill up the holes the badge left behind...