User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Mps exhaust blowing white smoke at idle

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    I just did the test no smoke , but i think since the issue comes up mainly once exhaust is done i might leave mine original.

James
    Modding the exhaust might be a factor to a smoking turbo, however this theory isnt 100% accurate or proved. Actually modding your exhaust might actually reveal a turbo failure which was covered by the restrictive stock exhaust.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Unfortunately I also had similar experiences as Wardski with my Mazda dealership regarding my smoking turbo, it took them about 3 goes of fail (each time they had the car for about 3 days) , even after I had smoked the workshop out on numerous occasions, and presented them with physical proof of faulty turbos both locally and overseas, they were adamant the turbo wasn't faulty and that the root cause was elsewhere.

Mind you, after expecting a massive sh!tfight with the service manager the fourth time I reported the fault, he finally conceded that the turbo was faulty, he very politely ordered the turbo on the spot, once it arrived he rang me to book the car in for the replacement, I think either they hold out as long as they can on this repair, or he finally conceded that a customer may actually know what he's talking about.

New turbo has been good so far, the aftermath of its installation left a lot to be desired though.

I found the best way to make it smoke is to get it really hot under bonnet, hence the extended idling causing the issue to become more apparent, mine would typically smoke more during summer, I also found that idling the car with the nose down (i.e coming down a driveway) would exaggerate the issue.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Unfortunately I also had similar experiences as Wardski with my Mazda dealership regarding my smoking turbo, it took them about 3 goes of fail (each time they had the car for about 3 days) , even after I had smoked the workshop out on numerous occasions, and presented them with physical proof of faulty turbos both locally and overseas, they were adamant the turbo wasn't faulty and that the root cause was elsewhere.

Mind you, after expecting a massive sh!tfight with the service manager the fourth time I reported the fault, he finally conceded that the turbo was faulty, he very politely ordered the turbo on the spot, once it arrived he rang me to book the car in for the replacement, I think either they hold out as long as they can on this repair, or he finally conceded that a customer may actually know what he's talking about.

New turbo has been good so far, the aftermath of its installation left a lot to be desired though.

I found the best way to make it smoke is to get it really hot under bonnet, hence the extended idling causing the issue to become more apparent, mine would typically smoke more during summer, I also found that idling the car with the nose down (i.e coming down a driveway) would exaggerate the issue.
    You are right about idling with the nose down. Before my replacement i had it parked on a fairly steep hill. And it just instantly smoked. I was out of the car for about 15 seconds max. Came back to the car and it was filled. and it stunk.

4. Default cx-7 white smoke

I only researched this issue this morning so joined to get some feedback. I bought an 07 cx7 3 months ago from a dealer in woollongong and a few days ago noticed that when I reversed out of a car spot that a puff of white smoke was seen in my rearview mirror, I thought it was a truck that stopped to let me reverse out bit after this morning I know it must have been ME. I was sitting it typical sydney bridge traffic (driving slightly downhill) when I thought the car was seriously on fire - white smoke pouring from the back of the car. It stopped after I drove a few hundred meters but then happened again later in the morning when I stopped for 1/2 hr and drove off again (someone actually beeped me to say that I need to check my oil as smoke was pouring from the back!) Warranty finished 3 months ago but dealer said take it to a mazda shop and they will try and diagnose the issue and maybe mazda will do an "assisted repair". I am not mechanical so hope they agree to look at it!

Quote Originally Posted by jaymac View Post
    I only researched this issue this morning so joined to get some feedback. I bought an 07 cx7 3 months ago from a dealer in woollongong and a few days ago noticed that when I reversed out of a car spot that a puff of white smoke was seen in my rearview mirror, I thought it was a truck that stopped to let me reverse out bit after this morning I know it must have been ME. I was sitting it typical sydney bridge traffic (driving slightly downhill) when I thought the car was seriously on fire - white smoke pouring from the back of the car. It stopped after I drove a few hundred meters but then happened again later in the morning when I stopped for 1/2 hr and drove off again (someone actually beeped me to say that I need to check my oil as smoke was pouring from the back!) Warranty finished 3 months ago but dealer said take it to a mazda shop and they will try and diagnose the issue and maybe mazda will do an "assisted repair". I am not mechanical so hope they agree to look at it!

The weather is getting cooler and it would be the condensation out the exhaust I would say start it up in the morning and stand behind the car and watch it if it smells of oil than you have a problem otherwise if will feel like warm damp moisty feeling on your hand if you put your hand in front of it. Good luck.

6. Default

oo ohh !!!! Hey Jaymac.... I had the same thing..... stuck in sydney traffic with white smoke pouring out the exhaust and people behind me beeping and then driving up beside me telling me everything from my " car was on fire" "hey mate something wrong with your car" "get your car fixed its polluting" it was bloody embarrassing !!!! proabably no need for mazda to diagnose the problem fairly sure .... 90 %.... the turbo seals are gone ........take it back to the dealer and tell them

I noticed this happening 2 days before my warranty ran out but made sure my dealership (Dwyers ) knew all about the problem

Hey guys, i got a MPS 3 and would love a Turbo Back Exhaust...
    Only thing is im paranoid as that ill have the same problems as some ppl have, im only really after a nicer noise so would doing a cat back have the same effect on the seals?

James

Quote Originally Posted by jaymac View Post
    If smoke is literally pouring from the back enough that someone in traffic is beeping you then it's highly likely to be the smoky turbo problem.

Leave the car idling for about 5-10mins on startup, if you get the "smokies" happening somewhere in that period after things are warmed up then I'd be off to Mazda to show them as that's the test they will do. There's a few threads around here with some more info.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678