User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mps exhaust blowing white smoke at idle

Quote Originally Posted by SomePhoenix View Post
    My car has done 81000km, full logbook service.
    Full Mazda logbook servicing?

If so I reckon your chances would be good as it's a known fault.

Well the dealership have been in discussion with Mazda for a couple of days. At least they haven't said 'no" yet, so I'm holding hope!

A few services were done by "Kmart tyre and auto", but they are stamped proper log book.

Well the dealership have been in discussion with Mazda for a couple of days. At least they haven't said 'no" yet, so I'm holding hope!

A few services were done by "Kmart tyre and auto", but they are stamped proper log book.
    Well my fingers are crossed for you

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    Well my fingers are crossed for you
    Fancy seeing you here

Should be ok providing the car falls within the VIN numbers noted at Mazda as being trouble ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Fancy seeing you here
    Haha! 15000km on new turbo and is well...

good luck buddy,

my car goes into mazda in a couple of weeks to get the replacement turbo all under warranty, it wasnt chuggin out white smoke like sum other dudes but it did puff a little wen i put my foot down... i only realised coz other ppl actually came up to me an told me lol

mazda sed they couldnt find any smoke wen they serviced it but they sed my oil was low and that the turbo was burning it up heaps.... i dunno whether thats correct or not, i dunno enuf about this sorta stuff but they sed my car comes under the vin range for a new turb so yeh..
    --- CPe DP + Custom 3" Stainless CBE --- Turbo Timer --- CPe CAI --- Turbo XS BPV --- CPe 75 Duro Rear Engine Mount --- 2XS SSP ---

Does anyboy know the ACTUAL VIN numbers that the possible turbo replacement falls between. It would be very handy knowing if mine is affected when i go in for my next service. ( not that i have a smoking issue....at the moment anyway...)

nah not me, sorry mate...

I ensured that the service guys saw my car smoke. When I went to take it in, it was in the morning when they were opening. So I sat out the front idling for 5 mins before they opened and everyone saw it! The service manager knew the problem straight away, so that was good. Fingers crossed they do the right thing by the customer!

Thanks for your support!

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    Does anyboy know the ACTUAL VIN numbers that the possible turbo replacement falls between. It would be very handy knowing if mine is affected when i go in for my next service. ( not that i have a smoking issue....at the moment anyway...)
    Here ya go...

---------------------------------------
    SMOKE FROM TAIL PIPES AFTER PROLONGED IDLE PERIODS

Applicable Models

Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec CX7 2007-2008 000001 209008 P/D BEFORE 2/15/2008 MAZDA6 2006-2007 000001 999999 ALL MAZDASPEED6 MAZDA3 2007-2008 000001 880368 P/D BEFORE 2/6/2008 Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms

ENGINE / MECHANICAL / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
    ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION
    ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / WHITE SMOKE,BLUE SMOKE
    ENGINE / EMISSIONS SYSTEM / BLACK SMOKE
    ENGINE / MECHANICAL / EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION

MTOL - 5505 Dealer Repair Information

Symptom and Conditions

Applicable Model(s) VINS

CX-7 JM3ER ****8* 209008 Produced before 2/15/08
    MAZDASPEED6 ALL ALL
    MAZDASPEED3 JM1BK ****8* 880368 Produced before 2/6/08

Some customers may experience white/blue smoke from their exhaust pipes
    after prolonged idle periods and/or while driving in traffic at very
    slow speeds.

This condition may be the result of the turbo's oil supply not being
    able to adequately drain out of the turbo during long idle periods.

Vehicles having this concern should be diagnosed using the following diagnostics procedure.
    Repair Procedure

1. Confirm that the proper maintenance intervals have been performed.

2. With the engine at normal operating temperature, allow it to idle
    for an extended idle period.

Caution:
    Closely monitor the engine coolant to the assure the engine does not Overheat.

3. If smoke from the exhaust is present after the extended idle period,
    take before pictures of the smoke, then change the oil and filter
    using 5W/40 (synthetic). After the oil change, in order to burn off
    the oil that remains in the exhaust system, perform the following:
    start the engine, check for oil leaks, then let it idle for 10
    minutes, after the 10 minute idle period, increase the RPMs to 3000
    for 1 minute, repeat idle test to confirm that no smoke returns.

A: If the smoke returns, contact the Technical Assistance Hotline
    (Select option #2 for Major Assembly Authorization) with the oil
    change history information, to attain an authorization for a turbo
    replacement.

B: If smoke DOES NOT RETURN after the repeat idle test, NO other repairs
    are to be performed at this time. Explain to the customer that MAZDA
    is currently working on an improved positive crankcase valve (PCV)
    system to reduce the engine crankcase pressures to allow the turbo's
    oil supply to drain from the turbocharger more efficiently This fix
    will be available approximately within 90 days and at that time the
    oil will be changed back to 5W-30 and the improved PCV system will be
    installed

nice.. is that from the other thread? turbo seals and white smoke or sumthin?

should mazda install the improved PCV when they install the new turbo?

It's a Mazda USA TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) issued to Mazda USA dealers. Same same for Australia, but they won't release any info to you, so the US TSB's are good to know about.

I probably posted it in the other thread as well.

PCV...I dunno if they do, sorry.

hmm i wonder.. thanks for that tho, hopefully all works out for pheonix

My car has just started smoking about a month after I got the new downpipe fitted (done 46,000k's).

I'll be in contact with Mazda shortly. Fingers crossed that they over look the modifications to the car and do the right thing by the customer

I think they will look past anything except an piggy ecu... Which is why I dont think mine was covered. Though reading another post on another thread Wardski had voided the warranty on my car long before I had brought it, lol. Paraphrasing.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZedN View Post
    I think they will look past anything except an piggy ecu... Which is why I dont think mine was covered. Though reading another post on another thread Wardski had voided the warranty on my car long before I had brought it, lol. Paraphrasing.
    Warranty wasnt voided (taken out of context) - the car was black listed which meant that every single warranty claim would be scrutinised. Usually, up to a certain value (i think $1000) would be put through without comment, but being black listed meant that if $0.50 was spent on a warranty claim, Mazda Corporate would have to approve it after a thorough inspection. I had 2 warranty claims after it was black listed - 1. for an entire new steering rack, and 2. new 02 sensor.

No one with an xede should have to pay for a new turbo. Blown seals is a common fault with this car, and the Xede would not have killed it! Maybe Mazda should take note about what happened with Toyota?

Mazda Suck!

I shall be calling them directly tomorrow to get the full reason why they wouldn't cover my turbo. From what the dealer told me is that I purchased the car (2nd hand) too far out of warranty (10 months out). I don't think that a 3 year warranty should apply to defects that the car had when it was driven (trucked) out of the factory! Mazda know perfectly well about this defect, it's just luck-of-the-draw when it is going to present itself. I guess the ACCC or Consumer Affairs (vic) can tell me if I have a leg to stand on or not...

On another note, I guess I need to start considering turbo replacements out of my own pocket . Is there a thread on that at all around here?

ask them if they have checked our forums recently mayb... they may not know..

i think its about 4000 bucks to replace the stock turbo through mazda wifout warranty,

also try another mazda place if one doesnt work, they may not always be connected and it might just be a silly person in charge of ur case...

dunno mate but i would try everything

Yeah if your car falls under the above from TallDan then it is pretty poor of them if they don't.

If you get the answer from them in writing with the reason why, then surely you will be able to take it and also the TSB above to some dept or agency to investigate...

Spoke to my Mazda dealer today and they claim to have never heard of this issue before and that it sounds like a problem with my valve stem seals.. yeah right.. so why is there smoke coming off the back of my turbo.

Car goes in on monday. I think it's likely that they'll come to the conclusion that 1 or all of my aftermarket parts is the cause and then attempt to charge me $99 and hour for the time they spent looking at it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast