User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Water marks?

Red face HELP! Water marks?

Hi Everyone,

I need a bit of advice on what to do. Whenever I wash my car, and upon drying it off I have noticed 'water marks/spots' on my paint work. It's like the water beads and dries before I get to it. I use Final Inspection Paint Pampering Shampoo, so it's not as if I use cheap stuff.

I don't know if it's time to wax my car or what? I do admit that I haven't given it a good couple of coats of wax for some time. Will this fix it? Or do I need some serious attention?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Default

Welcome Dee, glad to see you joined up here.

Im not too sure, there are loads of people here who will jump in soon and help you. I have a black car and I just have to make sure I can dry it off with my waffle weave towel after washing it before it has any chance of drying by heat or sun otherwise it does leave water spots.

Its always a great idea to wax your car as well
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I need a bit of advice on what to do. Whenever I wash my car, and upon drying it off I have noticed 'water marks/spots' on my paint work. It's like the water beads and dries before I get to it. I use Final Inspection Paint Pampering Shampoo, so it's not as if I use cheap stuff.

I don't know if it's time to wax my car or what? I do admit that I haven't given it a good couple of coats of wax for some time. Will this fix it? Or do I need some serious attention?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Glad to see you here

Love F1 stuff just got a new order in yesterday

Now do the water marks wipe off with a damp mf???? If so your not drying quick enough if this is the case try moving into the shade or sheeting more water off befor you start to dry

If not there are some dedicated water mark removers but i have no experience with than, also ive heard vinegar does the trick

If not than it may be water etching wich requires a paint correction, if its just a few you could hand polish but if theres heaps probably could do with a machine polish!

Hope that helps im sure Joel will chime in with more info
    マツダスピード

You pretty much hit the nail on the head Lynchy. Fresh watermarks will quickly disappear with a damp cloth. Any that don't have been there beforehand.

Then it depends on how bad they are to how you remove them. Some will just need a non-abrasive paint cleaner like Victoria Wax Deep Cleanse which you can apply by hand. The only other option if that doesn't work is to go abrasives.

And Dee you are correct. A good coat of wax will help stop watermarks etching into the paint.

Thanks for the info.

The marks do come off with a wet cloth. I wish I had some shade to wash my car in, it'd make my life easier! I must be way too slow

Anyhow, I'm planning on washing it some time this weekend and applying a few coats of wax. See if that makes a difference of any sort for the next time I wash...

If you are washing in the sun, then you need to constantly keep rinsing all the panels as you work.

Work panel by panel, top to bottom. After you finish a panel and you rinse that area of suds off, you then also rinse back over the rest of the car to keep it wet.

Last thing you do when you are finished is take the nozzle off the hose and "sheet" the water over the panels. The surface tension of the water will cause it to run off the panel leaving minimal beads of water left to dry off.

Hope that helps.

That helps lots. Thank you

8. Default

Anyone knows what wax and polish to recommend ?

use my products to avoid any water marks in the beggining! cheers!!

I use p21s100 for my wax...its good...but doesnt last a hell of a long time if your getting your car wet alot. But its easy to apply and remove and gives some nice depth.

For a polish I use menzerna final finish 106ff. It is not cheap and you have to use machine polishing to get the best out of it, but it puts a very impressive shine to a car if you use it properly.

You could also try some Time to Dry What it does is break the beads surface tension which makes them form a flat sheet. This means that you don't have beads that evaporate and leave water marks but rather a bigger sheet that is removed easier. Also it lubricates the surface when drying which means less chance of swirling
    Last edited by ZAS; 07-12-2009 at 11:21 AM.

At $80 a litre I'm sure there are better ways.

you dont buy it by the litre and with a weekly washing you will go through maybe 2 bottles a year

Also if you have a protection coat down you can use Water Spot Remover to get them off
    Last edited by ZAS; 07-12-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Nah. There's no need. Just sheet the water off your panels. It's free.

I was thinking maybe I'll just pay and have a good 'Professional' clean and wax. Then stay on top of it from there...

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4 View Post
    I was thinking maybe I'll just pay and have a good 'Professional' clean and wax. Then stay on top of it from there...
    Where's MSY now
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    Where's MSY now

lol...I love that avatar

there all pretty good!!! lol!!!

You are all lucky to be able to wash your cars. Our local water supply is currently at 5% - haven't been able to use a bucket and hose for a while. I've had to resort to paying at a carwash. It has a SPOT FREE rinse that actually works.

Other than that AUTOGLYM and elbow grease work well on my pearl white MPS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast