User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: painting wheels

Default painting wheels

hey all

can anyone in melbourne offer advice on price to paint some rx8 wheels?

have recieved two quotes from panel beaters one in the western suburbs for $320 and the eastern suburbs for $500..

cheers kris

Ouch.

I got a quote yesterday for the 6 MPS 18inch wheels to go from original alloy silver to glossy metallic black for $50 a rim = $200 for the set of 4.

I thought this was quite reasonable considering he said they would do it right, as in prep them, sand and primer and paint the whole rim not just the front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    Ouch.

I got a quote yesterday for the 6 MPS 18inch wheels to go from original alloy silver to glossy metallic black for $50 a rim = $200 for the set of 4.

I thought this was quite reasonable considering he said they would do it right, as in prep them, sand and primer and paint the whole rim not just the front of it.
    for $200 i could justify it.. 300 or 500 is too much...

there is a guy on here that painted his wheels him self wish i had the skills to do that
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

I used to charge about $250 for a set, depending if they needed any fixing.
    I painted dads (rd415) rx8 wheels, and nickows had his painted and we would all reccomend you don't to it.
    Paint just isn't hard enough and will chip easy

powdercoating is the way to go, and you will find it's probably cheaper. Was quoted about $60 per rim once before
    it's much harder than paint so shouldn't chip as easy. Only downside is that it's harder to fix if it does chip. But at that price you may aswell just get it re-powdercoated

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    I painted dads (rd415) rx8 wheels, and nickows had his painted and we would all reccomend you don't to it.

powdercoating is the way to go, and you will find it's probably cheaper. Was quoted about $60 per rim once before
    it's much harder than paint so shouldn't chip as easy. Only downside is that it's harder to fix if it does chip. But at that price you may aswell just get it re-powdercoated
    There is much debate on the whole "paint vs powdercoat" lol

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

intersting mate i do recall a discussion on paint vs powdercoat on some forum a few years ago !

have a painter by trade at work and he said he would help me as long as i take them to his house and obviosuly buy all the supplies...etc

hardest part im finding is sanding, as in its not hard its time consuming and not very fun.
    im spraying my own as i also heard powdercoating cracks and has to be all redone, where as painting can be touched up. cost of spray cans aint much either
    still needs work but it was a test to see how it went

I've delt with a lot of powder coated stuff before, and it os very hard, and i highly doubt it will crack on a wheel. It does crack on flat panels when bent.

pressure pack cans would only be a cheap and easy solution if you do a flat colour, if its metallic it is very hard to fix (if your fussy)

On the RX8 rims, rocks seem to bounce around between the spokes, this is obvious on both Dads, and Nickows wheels.

Wheels from factory aren't spray painted, they are elecro coated (actual name i dont know) its like adonising and chrome plating, hence why factory wheels don't chip as easy

What colour KovMPS?

Mine are just painted in etch black primer and I haven't got any chips/scratches from rocks on mine. I even have them on the back for the drags and still no chips. I think 2k paint is plenty strong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    What colour KovMPS?

Mine are just painted in etch black primer and I haven't got any chips/scratches from rocks on mine. I even have them on the back for the drags and still no chips. I think 2k paint is plenty strong enough.
    i would like a grey of some sort.. reckon would look better than silver espesially on radiant ebony..

the painter at work said as long as they are prepared properly ei sanding,
    paint should not chip off easily..

he also reckons powedcoating is best but more mucking around... and you need to oven bake..

If the wheels are currently undamaged, a good sand and clean, then painting, you won't have any issues.

To paint in 2k properly, you need to bake them in an oven aswell. Powdercoating may be strongest, but colour choice is severly limited.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    If the wheels are currently undamaged, a good sand and clean, then painting, you won't have any issues.

To paint in 2k properly, you need to bake them in an oven aswell. Powdercoating may be strongest, but colour choice is severly limited.
    Don't believe it, no matter how well you paint them the paint chips off very easy.
    BD581 owned his own business - "Custom Truck Painting" a very good business and very professional. Believe what he says as it is not hearsay, it is from actual experience. My RX8 rims were painted a mid grey metallic 2 pac in a booth professionally by Custom Truck Painting and looked sensational for about 6 months. It was a bit strange that it was only the rear rims that chipped badly and only between the spokes.

Paint your rims if you like - but be warned, it is not very successful in the long term.

and in exactly the same way as nickows has, done by another professional company

and in exactly the same way as nickows has, done by another professional company
    thanks guys i guess if i buy a set of rx8 wheels i will leave them silver.. or at best shop around for powdercoating..

that is so cool you and your dad both have a mps
    Last edited by kovmps6; 10-11-2009 at 07:53 PM.

My RX-8 rims are painted. Had them for over a year now and no chips or scratches. The only mark on them was when a tyre shop wasn't very careful when I had my tyres replaced.

IM sending some rx8 wheels in for painting in a couple of weeks. Quote was $160 for the 4 painted and 1 gutter scratch fixed up. i have tyres now ready to go on cant wait to get them painted!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    IM sending some rx8 wheels in for painting in a couple of weeks. Quote was $160 for the 4 painted and 1 gutter scratch fixed up. i have tyres now ready to go on cant wait to get them painted!!!
    Nice price!

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    My RX-8 rims are painted. Had them for over a year now and no chips or scratches. The only mark on them was when a tyre shop wasn't very careful when I had my tyres replaced.
    Obviously you don't get get out of the city much - country roads aren't kind to painted wheels - especially gravel roads

Hey i just picked up some RX-8 wheels for my 6mps and was thinking of getting them powdercoated a charcoal colour, just not sure what it would look like on radiant ebony, any suggestions or should i play it safe and leave them silver?
    Cheers Todd

Powder coat any day over painted wheels Just take the rims to a fence shop and they will sandblast them and powdercoat them in your chosen shade. Just bear in mind the range of colours from power coating is nowhere near as big as 2pac

But all comes down to how long you want the rims to keep the colour
    "THE PATH OF THE GTI-R IS BESET WITH PERIL BY THE INJUSTICES OF THE SPEED CAMERA AND THE TYRANNY OF OTHER DRIVERS. BLESSED IS HE WHO OVERTAKES THE EVO & STI THROUGH THE VALLEY OF HAIRPIN TURNS, FOR HE IS TRULY HIS CAR'S TUNER AND THE FINDER OF LOST HORSEPOWER. . . AND WE SHALT STRIKE DOWN WITH GREAT BOOST AND FURIOUS ACCELERATION ON WHOEVER DOTH ATTEMPT TO OBSTRUCT OR DELAY OUR OVERTAKING. . .
    BMW M3 Evo Coming to the R stable soon. . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast