User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clunky gear changes

you will still get the "wong-wong" noise with MT-90.

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    you will still get the "wong-wong" noise with MT-90.
    Sheesh...what oil gives no "wong wong"? I'm ready to park it and ride my pushie it's that annoying.

i have a brand new gearbox, only 130k's old and its clunky

Quote Originally Posted by MPSI View Post
    i have a brand new gearbox, only 130k's old and its clunky
    Maybe the clunks you're getting has nothing to do with the gearbox..

5. Default

One of the many reasons I sold my MPS was the gear box clunks. Coming off a previous honda, the gear shifts were in a different league to the MPS. My MPS also had the dog bone rear engine mount installed and it still cluncked. They all do it to some degree. I dont think its a bad thing and coming from an engineering background I think its a combination of the syncros trying to catch up with ur gear shifts along with the LSD doing its bit as well. No tranny oil wil fix it completely. Its just part of the MPS gear box in my opinion. As for the wong wong noise, its comes comes from the LSD when ur doing a sharp turn and ur inside wheel is spinning at a different rate to ur outside wheel. I changed my oil to MT-90 and it basically made it worse. Only thing that will fix it is a GL-5 type oil where as the handbook recommends GL-4. Theres been a lot of posts about this, but I belive GL-5 has friction modifiers in it which makes the LSD quiter and gets rid of the wong wong sound but isnt all that great for ur gear box and the sulfur in it corodes ur syncros in the long term. Mazda has been known to change and use a Gl-5 oil to quiten things down claiming this has been tested by mazda and isnt bad for ur car. Some members on this forum have used a GL-5 oil so they may be able to provide more insight. For me I just stuck with the Red MT-90 as it was exactly what is specified in the handbook with regards to grade and type. The noise isnt that annoying really as it will only happen if ur doing a sharp turn and actually have power applied. If u do a U turn on a semi slope without accelerating, you'll find theres little noise. I ended up just getting used to it and applying mimimal power through sharp turns.

Hope all this helps.

Another little update.

Brought the car into Mazda again today. They actually put the car on the hoist this time to check it out. The first time I went there the service manager and I went for a drive and he basically said it's nothing major and not to worry about it. I wasn't happy with his response so went back the second time today for them to actually look at the car.

I picked up the car a few hours later and looked at the service sheet. All they did was tighten the rear suspension components and engine mounts. Apparently road tested and all okay. Drove the car back to work very disappointed, the clunks are still there. Maybe pilotb777 is right? Maybe the clunks are part of the MPS gearbox?

I think I might go to another Mazda dealer and see if they can fix this issue. If not then I'll just give it up and call it a day I think. By the way I've noticed the clunk is really only there if shift below 3000rpm.

Had my gearbox oil replaced with the Penrite stuff today, noticed an improvement (and no wong wong!)

are you talking about the noise that sounds like diff wine when going down gears ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12