User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TMIC and bending rods

Default TMIC and bending rods

Just thought i'd ask, does anyone think that putting a TMIC (eg ETS 3.25") could cause any issues with the infamous "cheese rods" in the mps?

A tune would follow which I guess is a bit of reassurance but its not a 100% guarantee that nothing will happen. (nothing will give that reassurance)

There are a few other mods on his car, BOV, CAI, Xede, TBE, all tuned up. So the TMIC would go on followed by another tune.

Anyone heard of the mps3's having issues with that list of mods + TMIC

Thanks

Not a big mod. Ran the ETS for 1.5 years.

Be more concerned with poor tunes and putting the car under load at low rpm.

Im running an ETS too, no issues here

Dont understand how putting on a FMIC, new TMIC will snap a rod?
    You mean the extra power that the 'Intercooler' will give ma cause the rods to break?
    If so... I really doubt it as you wont make a whole lot more (not saying none) outright 'power' with a an intercooler change alone.

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    Dont understand how putting on a FMIC, new TMIC will snap a rod?
    You mean the extra power that the 'Intercooler' will give ma cause the rods to break?
    If so... I really doubt it as you wont make a whole lot more (not saying none) outright 'power' with a an intercooler change alone.
    I think he is worried it will be the straw that broke the camels back..

I think you may also be surprised at the difference a cooler like the ETS will make.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post

There are a few other mods on his car, BOV, CAI, Xede, TBE, all tuned up. So the TMIC would go on followed by another tune.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post

I think you may also be surprised at the difference a cooler like the ETS will make.
    Ohok fair enough

I do realize that a proper Intercooler will make a good difference, especially if the stock (or current) intercooler is heatsoaking and sapping power through that way. But without raising the boost up, a intake and a perhaps a tune you wont see massive gains.

The stock MPS Cooler isn't that bad in my eyes.
    (compared to what i have swapped out in my previous cars)
    (eg. S14 200sx Side Mount Intercooler = Shocking)

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

From what I know (which I dont profess to be much). Most of the gains with after market coolers are about the reduced pressure drop than compared to the stock unit.
    From memory this can be up to as much as 4psi (please correct me!)

The ETS is quoted for up to a 15KW gain!
    *though id love to see before and after dynos to see what the diff really is*

**EDIT - not ones by the company either!!**

Thats right Jmac. not so much that it alone would do anything. but coupled with everything else, it being the deciding factor in something bad happening.He's still in 2 minds over buying one.

I think you will be fine mate, but from what Ive heard from the states it varies.. at the end of the day you mod, you risk.. as long as your happy thats all that matters!

If it was me, id do it!

I also have a WM kit here im contemplating selling....

From what I know (which I dont profess to be much). Most of the gains with after market coolers are about the reduced pressure drop than compared to the stock unit.
    From memory this can be up to as much as 4psi (please correct me!)

The ETS is quoted for up to a 15KW gain!
    *though id love to see before and after dynos to see what the diff really is*

**EDIT - not ones by the company either!!**
    For sure thats a factor. (as far as im aware, and im not always aware lol)...
    Also the reduction in heat soak, cooler more dense air etc.

Ill dry dig up the Dyno results of my S14, dyno run with stock cooler and with FMIC etc... I had that thing on the dyno stock as stock and then every mod i did to it had it dynoed.

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Thats right Jmac. not so much that it alone would do anything. but coupled with everything else, it being the deciding factor in something bad happening.He's still in 2 minds over buying one.
    Fair point.
    Although, If you think of it this way. A better Intercooler is only going to be a safe net for your turbo and engine. The cooler the air your engine can suck in the better the combustion and more efficient the whole system shall work.

I think my S14 picked up maybe 2-3 kw at the wheels by putting on the FMIC. BUT.... It did not lose significant amounts of power each run it had due to heating up... Thats where it will help in real world on the road

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Would be interested to see mate! thanks for the input.

So it seems like the general consensus is that it would be alright.

I cant see why not!
    Matt might drop in soon and let us know what he thinks.

Picking on me again Jmac....definitely worth doing, the benefits have been pretty much covered but as a recap, with my thoughts

-Cooler charge temps, less chance of knock, more dense air entering cylinders, ECU will naturally add more timing to take advantage of this.

-Lower pressure drop across the core, the turbo doesnt have to push as hard to meet its boost targets, yes Jmac the stock IC has a 4psi drop, most aftermarket units will only have a 2 psi drop.
    On the stock core + Xede tuned to 18.5psi, the turbo is boosting to 22.5 psi, which is pretty much at the end of its efficiency range, i.e blowing a lot of hot air.
    The body of the turbo will also be cooler as a result of the reduced pressure, resulting in lower coolant & oil temps, probably only marginal though.

-Power, not so much an improvement in peak power, but you will notice a more consistent and reliable power delivery, and the turbo will spool quicker thanks to the reduction in core pressure drop, power will also stay on longer up top.

As an example, I found after fitting the FMIC that the car would not struggle to achieve its 15.7 target boost, in fact the opposite occurred it would boost up to about 16.5 psi and hover between 16-16.5.

OK now for the negatives, there are some:
    -Boost spikes, the turbo isnt working as hard, so it will spike more than with the stock IC. Spikes arent really worth losing too much sleep over, unless you regularly spike over 30 psi.

-Heatsoak, the ETS will soak as badly as any other TMIC (the bane of the MPS), it will dissipate the heat much quicker though.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Picking on me again Jmac....definitely worth doing, the benefits have been pretty much covered but as a recap, with my thoughts

-Cooler charge temps, less chance of knock, more dense air entering cylinders, ECU will naturally add more timing to take advantage of this.

-Lower pressure drop across the core, the turbo doesnt have to push as hard to meet its boost targets, yes Jmac the stock IC has a 4psi drop, most aftermarket units will only have a 2 psi drop.
    On the stock core + Xede tuned to 18.5psi, the turbo is boosting to 22.5 psi, which is pretty much at the end of its efficiency range, i.e blowing a lot of hot air.
    The body of the turbo will also be cooler as a result of the reduced pressure, resulting in lower coolant & oil temps, probably only marginal though.

-Power, not so much an improvement in peak power, but you will notice a more consistent and reliable power delivery, and the turbo will spool quicker thanks to the reduction in core pressure drop, power will also stay on longer up top.

As an example, I found after fitting the FMIC that the car would not struggle to achieve its 15.7 target boost, in fact the opposite occurred it would boost up to about 16.5 psi and hover between 16-16.5.

OK now for the negatives, there are some:
    -Boost spikes, the turbo isnt working as hard, so it will spike more than with the stock IC. Spikes arent really worth losing too much sleep over, unless you regularly spike over 30 psi.

-Heatsoak, the ETS will soak as badly as any other TMIC (the bane of the MPS), it will dissipate the heat much quicker though.
    Not picking on here, you have a tendency to show when I call on your knowledge haha
    I knew you would have something worthwhile to say!
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

I'd do it if I was you. FMIC vs TMIC? That's the real question.

Think of it as more of a safety net, rather than a something that makes more power.

Or TMIC + WM

Or, FMIC + WM

Now your just teasing!

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I'd do it if I was you. FMIC vs TMIC? That's the real question.

Think of it as more of a safety net, rather than a something that makes more power.

If the prices were the same then sure, ill take the FMIC. but the extra $1000-$1200 for a FMIC, i don't think is worth the benefits it has over an aftermarket TMIC.

Happy to be proven wrong. I'm not an expert on the matter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast