User Tag List

Thread: NEW OWNER QUESTIONS - mps6

Smile NEW OWNER QUESTIONS - mps6

HI, Just got an mps 6 leather pack friday and have been reading on the forums...i have a few questions...

1. The diff whine...is it tragic?i read one post which said that if i have the diff whine i should get it checked as it may cause my diff to drop and others have said it is fine...which one is it?
    2. A diff vibration has also been mentioned a lot...what is this vibration?and where do i feel it if i do have one?
    3. What is the best fuel?So far i am leaning towards Shell V power over BP Ultimate?
    4. Going to take the car for a big check/service soon...what else should i ask them too look at apart from tightening the rear diff bolts and checking the transfer case for a leak?
    5. What is the best computer chip/update to get for my car?and how much power should i expect from it?
    6. Anywhere i can get an auxillary input thing so i can put my ipod through the stereo?it is a bose sounds system

Thanks guys..from what i have read you're top blokes and so far like you guys loving the MPS6..and any ideas on the best insurance for a 20Year Old comprehensive.

Thanks heaps
    Last edited by esp22; 01-11-2009 at 11:28 PM.

esp22

Hope you're enjoying your new ride, the MPS 6 is a ballistic car and the problems are minor, some answers for you.

1. Diff whine is minor, I've not heard any issues arising from long term diff whine, mine had whined for over 50,000kms and has not changed, except for going back to stock sized tyres and the whine has decreased.

2. Vibration on mine was/is a low level resonant vibration around 100kph in 6th, it cycles on/off every second or so, best way to identify it, is to find a very smooth road and cruise around 100kph, for some people it occurred anywhere for 80-120kph. If you feel vibrations of any nature, try lifting the handbrake a notch until the handbrake light comes on, if the vibration goes it's coming from the rear driveline. My vibration has lessened since Mazda fitted the new improved rear mount for the diff and going back to stock tyres. Diff thread - http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...solutions.html

3. 98 Octane, less chance of any knock occurring and runs better overall, been told BP probably has the best 98, fuel thread - http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...o-you-use.html

4. Aside from what you've mentioned, you could ask them about the Turbo seals, these have been know to fail and cause smoking in some DISI turbo engines - http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...rbo-seals.html

Also check here for other reports from MPS 6 owners - http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...nty-fixes.html

Insurance, hmmm some of younger blokes here may be able to help more, I use QBE and find them OK and affordable - $700 PA roughly, but I'm with max no-claim and clean driving record.
    Last edited by shakespeare; 01-11-2009 at 11:58 PM.
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

try just car. im 24 with full comp and i know the area im from sint the best of areas but i think its pretty cheap that im paying..$1400

my mps6 was built in october of 05 and regd in feb 06!!

Now with the clutch?Do i have the old one or the new one...and if i have the old one can i get the new one installed from Mazda...my car is now out of warranty?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by esp22 View Post
    my mps6 was built in october of 05 and regd in feb 06!!

Now with the clutch?Do i have the old one or the new one...and if i have the old one can i get the new one installed from Mazda...my car is now out of warranty?

Thanks

no chance if its out of warranty i had warranty and it got knocked back as my car had 70k on it..

give it a week or two and you will get used to the clutch..! i know after a year and a half it seems normal to me..
    Last edited by kovmps6; 05-11-2009 at 02:55 PM.
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

the clutch is fine...it just i was reading that mazda did a recall on the 05 clutches as they were jumpy and not easy to use...so was wondering if i could go change it to the 06 clutch?Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by esp22 View Post
    the clutch is fine...it just i was reading that mazda did a recall on the 05 clutches as they were jumpy and not easy to use...so was wondering if i could go change it to the 06 clutch?Thanks
    I had my clutch done under warranty, but I still stall it occassionally, particularly when in reversing.

I was just about used to the old clutch feel after I lowered the pedal height on recommendation from a very old thread on the OMC forum when the dealer okayed the new clutch.

So even today I still am not sure whether the new clutch made a great deal of difference.

Good luck with the car, I've had mine for four years and still love it. Like a new car but can't find anything better.