User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MPS6 engine hesitation

1. Default MPS6 engine hesitation

Hi,

I've recently noticed a hesitation in my MPS6, no problems when I'm driving consistently reasonably hard, but (only sometimes) when I've been driving gently and try to accelerate fairly hard, it hesitates almost like an engine cut.
    it seems dealers have a hard time diagnosing this intermittant faults. what do you think the most likely causes are?

I spent over two years working with Mazda to identify a similar problem with my car. Lots of things fixed the problem for a few days, but it always came back. Swallowtail fixed his hesitation by having the waste gate solenoid replaced. That didn't work for me, but having the ignition coils and EGR valve replaced a couple of weeks ago seems to have worked.

i noticed again my had some hesitation at low revs (2,000) in 4th gear under very light accelaration !

from memory no probs in any other gear or under full load...

Since I added the C-S FMIC and CAI which has added 2-3 psi boost, I've had a similar issue which I've diagnosed as compressor stall on lift-off after small to wide throttle openings at lower speeds, such as in urban or freeway traffic. It's no problem when lifting off for a shift as the drive is disconnected, but on lift-off while the drive remains engaged it's a bit of a pest, as the engine gives the impression of dying momentarily until one gets back on the throttle, enough to be noticed by alert passengers. However, it is at no risk of a total stall. Otherwise the car runs great, pulls strongly and is very economical.

I just think that maybe the MAF sensor is having a problem relative to stock, as the turbo inlet pipe diameter (3") is much larger than stock and there might be some combined issue with a) compressor stall on lift off that isn't fully handled by the BOV (set on full soft) and b) the MAF sensor. I'll shortly be having a look at the Standback to see how I can modify MAF readings to fix it.

In general most instances of compressor stall occur at low turbine shaft speed but relatively high boost and is harmless, albeit a pest (KOVMPS6 this might be your issue if you lift off at all) It is when it occurs regularly at high loads and high shaft speeds that there is risk of compressor blade damage.

BTW this site is an interesting read. It's about Volvo turbos but there are lots of interesting bits that might prompt some areas to examine if you are having problems. See:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Engi...gateAdjustment
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 24-11-2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: add URL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kovmps6 View Post
    i noticed again my had some hesitation at low revs (2,000) in 4th gear under very light accelaration !

from memory no probs in any other gear or under full load...
    That sounds similar to what I had.

Off-boost, medium load, partial throttle, higher gears. Slight hesitations. THe waste-gate solenoid fixed that on mine, after they had been through about a million other parts... ask the service department at Grand Prix Aspley about the radiant ebony MPS6 with hesitation issues... .
    2009 VW Passat R36 - 220KW of German engineering.
    EQ - "I must admit, having driven Simons Passat, I was simply....impressed, very impressed. My flat cap and whippet, old man jokes are definalty put back in the kit bag."

6. Default

My hesitation issues are on full throttle conditions between second and third gear changes. I've never experienced a hesitation under light throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by t4orce View Post
    My hesitation issues are on full throttle conditions between second and third gear changes. I've never experienced a hesitation under light throttle.
    That's exactly the same hesitation mine experiences too and only occassionally usually when I haven't given it a good run for some time then it seems to go away for awhile, hasn't been a big enough issue to ask Mazda to follow up, maybe I should before the warranty expires
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    That's exactly the same hesitation mine experiences too and only occassionally usually when I haven't given it a good run for some time then it seems to go away for awhile, hasn't been a big enough issue to ask Mazda to follow up, maybe I should before the warranty expires
    HHHMMMM come to think of it i think i have experienced that a few times as well when the car has not been revved out for a while..!

seems vey laggy and hard to rev out but then frees up and goes back to normal
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

9. Default

that's exactly my problem. seems to be fuelling or something like that. I'm out of warranty so not particularly fussed with it. Looking for an aftermarket ecu that might fix the stutter.

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    I spent over two years working with Mazda to identify a similar problem with my car. Lots of things fixed the problem for a few days, but it always came back. Swallowtail fixed his hesitation by having the waste gate solenoid replaced. That didn't work for me, but having the ignition coils and EGR valve replaced a couple of weeks ago seems to have worked.
    my seems to do it in 5th now as well as 4th !

Waste gate solenoid $107 ignition coils $300 X 4 and EGR $625 not cheap parts...

the solenoid is the only one cheap enough to replace lol
    Last edited by kovmps6; 16-04-2010 at 04:22 PM.
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

Here are some alternatives:

EGR blanking plate. Fabricate one out of a bit of scrap metal for free.
    HKS Twin Power ignition booster, about $700.

Seriously though, I wouldn't go spending money on a witch hunt. Better to know that you're replacing a part that has been reliably diagnosed as defective, or else save your money for something more worthwhile. You could probably get a whole new turbo for about the same money.

I have the same problem T4orce had. Hesitation between 2nd and 3rd under full throttle (above 5000rpm)

Its nice to know i'm not alone!

Sorry to bring up an old thread but i am having a similar problem to swallowtail.

Low revs in higher gears (4th, 5th, 6th) off boost with light acceleration and it feels like there is a miss. Almost like one of the plugs are fouling or there is some bad fuel or pump is starting to go?

From the research i have done it sounds like it could be the Wastegate solenoid? Where does one get one from?? Autobahn?? And is there a how to on fixing them?

Any help is greatly appreciated :P
    Everything happens for a reason.

Seems to be interesting as I am having similar problems but on the opposite end, I feel like I'm having boost or fuel cut as soon as I accelerate hard and hitting about 13-15 psi in 3rd and 4th gear as jolts hard and hesitates and black exhaust fumes came out once. I got P0300 error code on my scan gauge - Cylinder misfire, which i researched and could be multiple things and as kmh001 mentioned the EGR valves, ignition coils, spark plugs and a range of others.

When stock it never use to do such a thing. But not sure if it is a combined with mods. I just changed sparks too. Hopefully my tune shall fix the issue or maybe find out more.

Anyone else had such an error code? or High end hesitation similar?
    Last edited by KFuNk; 16-11-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: updating

Quote Originally Posted by Toka View Post
    From the research i have done it sounds like it could be the Wastegate solenoid? Where does one get one from?? Autobahn?? And is there a how to on fixing them?
    I have been experiencing the same sort of issues, and was convinced it was the wastegate solenoid that was the problem. I had my Mazda dealer supply and fit the solenoid, which was about $150 all up (cheaper than I thought). It didn't make the problem any better or worse, but it felt different when hesitating - lets say the car used to stutter under acceleration and made a metallic clicking sound from behind the firewall, well now it still does it, but it seems to be less harsh yet quicker sounding (if that makes sense?). My car also emits black fuel smoke out the exhaust when hesitating.

It seems it can be any number of issues, but for me, it wasn't the wastegate solenoid. I have changed the spark plugs to a colder type, and tried some other things but have mostly given up, I can't find where the EGR valve is or how to clean it, and I believe the cost is expensive to replace.

If i'm not mistaken the coolant feed line that runs off the back side of the turbo connects to a fitting on the EGR valve.. From memory there is a small steel pipe with a two bolt flange connected to the front side of the EGR valve that runs to the intake manifold. hopefully that helps you find it

I get the exact same feeling of hesitation pulling out hard on to a freeway etc Would get it in 3rd pulling boost at 15psi....

I thought it might just need a good tune or something? I run a CPe intake and Catback and always fill up with BP Ultimate...

I also have a hesitation issue with my 6. It usually occurs on slight acceleration in 2nd or 3rd gear between 2-3500 rpm.

After posting on this forum I cleaned the MAF with cleaner which made a minor improvement.

I have had my mechanic have a look. They found moisture in one of the spark plug tubes, but concluded that this probably wasn't the cause. I changed the spark plugs and got the filter cleaned (part of the service it was in at the time) but no improvement.

They suggested I get it tuned after the mods I had. So as part of my plan anyway I took it to Chiptorque and got a custom tune. Again no change.

I am going to get my mechanic to service the EGR next to see if a clean will fix it.
    Red '05 6MPS.

Sound like a very sensitive knock sensor retarding the engine... As quoted here Mazdaspeed 6 Intermittent Lack of Power Concern Fix Available the car is saying "OMFG SAVE ME" lol

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast