User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Mazda produce a new AWD MPS?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a new MPS6

41 30.15%
  • Yes, an MPS3 with AWD

45 33.09%
  • Yes, both a new MPS6 and MPS3 with AWD

49 36.03%
  • No

1 0.74%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Mazda produce a new AWD MPS?

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Not really, it would be more realistic to count total members as that would be closer to the actual number of mps mazdas sold. And how many of those that say yes to any of the options will actually put their money were their mouth is and actually buy one?

Fact is, we can debate this all day long, but without the American demand it is nothing more than a dream
    It's crook when you agree with your son but realistically this is OZMPS and all should be voting for AWD MPS3 or 6. Ultimately we can't even generate enough interest on this forum to get 50% - so what chance is there with the general public.

The new 6 is a mean looking car - it would be great have a MPS version

I would love to see a awd mps3 but once again the $$ would be to high.. still voted yes to both 3/6.. It would be good to see more voting... hint hint

3. Default

And how many of those that say yes to any of the options will actually put their money were their mouth is and actually buy one?
    If they had a new MPS6 AWD I would buy one the day my leased ended
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

I've already put my money where my mouth is and bought an AWD MPS. But it's going on 4 years old now and I want a new one. I'd like to put my money where my mouth is again, but Mazda wont let me.

I own, drive and love my AWD Nissan Pulsar GTiR im running the stock SR20DET pushing 200kw atw still with stock gear and only 10psi just with good tune. . AWD is fun cause its un-predictable, whether you get oversteer or understeer into a corner is up to the car, you as the driver have to figure it out as it happens and copensate for it Making you a better driver and my AWD GTiR drifts in the wet :P
    "THE PATH OF THE GTI-R IS BESET WITH PERIL BY THE INJUSTICES OF THE SPEED CAMERA AND THE TYRANNY OF OTHER DRIVERS. BLESSED IS HE WHO OVERTAKES THE EVO & STI THROUGH THE VALLEY OF HAIRPIN TURNS, FOR HE IS TRULY HIS CAR'S TUNER AND THE FINDER OF LOST HORSEPOWER. . . AND WE SHALT STRIKE DOWN WITH GREAT BOOST AND FURIOUS ACCELERATION ON WHOEVER DOTH ATTEMPT TO OBSTRUCT OR DELAY OUR OVERTAKING. . .
    BMW M3 Evo Coming to the R stable soon. . .

Quote Originally Posted by LILZLR View Post
    I own, drive and love my AWD Nissan Pulsar GTiR im running the stock SR20DET pushing 200kw atw still with stock gear and only 10psi just with good tune. . AWD is fun cause its un-predictable, whether you get oversteer or understeer into a corner is up to the car, you as the driver have to figure it out as it happens and copensate for it Making you a better driver and my AWD GTiR drifts in the wet :P

I know exactly what you mean. They are a blast to throw around, and yes, very driftable in the wet when set up right and with decent tyres
    I originally had avons on all four and found it was as you say very unpredictable, in the dry on a warm day it was like a slot car, in cold days or wet you had no idea what it will do. Fitted cheap (compared to the $330 avons) gt radials to the front and it transformed it, you could do anything.
    Only drama I ever had was accelerating after a u turn chasing my mates 12.5sec GSR lancer. The fronts started to spin, then the rears, then front. Strange feeling crabbing down the road.

It is good to see the numbers voting growing, it would be nice if at least 50% of the members voted.

That would at least show others that there is an interest for a AWD MPS - maybe even Mazda will take a bit of notice. (unlikely but just maybe).

I've had the MPS6 for a while, almost the longest I've ever owned a car (except for the Vintage cars). I would certainly buy either MPS3 or MPS6 AWD for the next car if available.

I might just have to settle for a MPS3 because other than the Audi RS6 Avant there isn't anything else around as good.

8. Default

Sounds like fun throwing an AWD around. From what I've read almost all AWD cars with front engine still default to understeer.

Even Ken Block's STIs in his famous gymkhana drift videos had to use the hand-brake to force the car into oversteer/drift mode coz it defaults to understeer.

That's true to a point, but as usual it depends on your tyres and chassis setup. The Top Gear video on the 6MPS shows Clarkson doing the usual power over steer thing, which admittedly is induced over steer, but he couldn't have done it on a terminal under steerer. Some people do complain about under steer, but I've always found the 6MPS to be wonderfully neutral. I can even get it into a four wheel drift which is one of the most satisfying things you can do in a car (a classic drift, not the slow and sideways ricer style of drift) but you can't do it in a car that isn't fairly neutrally balanced.

Gone to Volvo

........Fact is, we can debate this all day long, but without the American demand it is nothing more than a dream....
    The crux of the matter, somebody beat me to it.

From my understanding, MPS 6 didn't sell well in the US nor in AUS. Why would Mazda revert back to a tried idea that didn't sell? Further, if sales for the MPS3 (previous and current) are at least semi-decent; then that's another nail in the coffin to the idea of an AWD MPS. If sales are actually quite good for the MPS 3 then it seems to suggest a thumbs up for MPS but a thumbs down for AWD. OF course its not black and white because the car bodies are completely different; hatch vs sedan.

Don't get me wrong, I think an AWD MPS wouldn't be a bad thing, I just can't see it happening.

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.

Of course we all know that the the business case hinges on US demand. And that's the point of this thread - to make enough noise and point out that there is enough demand for an AWD MPS to make a business case.

It's not just about the cost to Mazda of producing an AWD, which is peanuts given that the engineering and components already exist, it's also about the cost of loosing all those existing AWD owners who have nothing to come back to, but more significantly it's about the great many lost sales to performance car enthusiasts who just aren't into FWD cars. A properly marketed AWD MPS could pull huge numbers of sales from the WRX, SS, XR6T and EVO markets etc.

And that's the real crux of the issue. The 6MPS was not marketed, which is why it didn't sell in large numbers. Four years after the cars release the average punter still doesn't know what a 6MPS is.

Those of us who have them would say a 6MPS is the best thing this side of an RS4. With a package that good and with appropriate marketing I believe the numbers for a business case are there. That's why I'm bothering. I want Mazda to know there is a silent majority out there that want to be heard.

Gone to Volvo

Instead of having this debate on this Australian forum you need to start it and a poll on american forums and possibly brittish. Mazda japan would care very little what we want, and they already know that there is a market here

what they want/need is to hear it from the Americans

I think your'e spot on with the poor marketting of the MPS 6 Mal. I remember one of the first websites doing a spiel on the car got some fuel consumption figures totally wrong; if that wasn't corrected it couldn't have helped.

The MPS 6 is probably one of the most misunderstood and underated cars in past 10 years, at least.

Good point Brett. The majority of journos also got their description of the AWD system totally wrong. The first one incorrectly labeled it AWD on demand and most of the others copied without checking their facts.

I think the 3 would be awesome in AWD.

The only reason i bought the 6 over the 3 was coz of the awd :S... we need a 3mps awd!!

17. Default

no we dont we want to remain forever elitised

I too would love to see a new 6MPS. I actually like the old 6MPS but never got round to buying one - now I enjoy my Gen II 3MPS. FWD can be fun and I think the 3 is fine without 4WD and it keeps price down - go revo knuckle etc.

The 6MPS 4WD would be a fair bit pricier - I'm not sure Mazda made much profit on the original 6MPS?? Maybe that's why they are reluctant to bring a new version to market??

19. Default

Went to Mazda dealer again and sat in the 6 wagon yesterday, damn they are nice so yes I say it again please bring the new 6 out in an MPS. My preference would be the wagon

I like your style Black Betty. I had to settle for a diesel M6 wagon. If only they had an MPS wagon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast