User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to restore plastic?

Default Best way to restore plastic?

I'm doing a mini restoration on my car. The bumper is being repainted and some of the black plastic parts are being replaced.

Whats the best way to restore the black plastic parts that I am keeping so they don't look old and faded compared to the new parts?

that stuff works, i used that to to do the plastic bit where the windscreen wipers go and woked a treat, just be carful when using it though as it comes out quite quick and goes everwhere.. can get it from autobarn and the like..

3. Default

also Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer works a treat.

Ive got that Forever Black stuff for my tyres, its great got mine from Kmart

Thanks for the tips. Would you say these products are long lasting?

5. Default

The Meguiars is long lasting, havent tried the Forever Black Trim stuff though

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Would you say these products are long lasting?
    For the longest lasting i would recommened Car Care Products / Speciality Brands / Exterior / Exterior Trim & Plastic / Black WOW

Works awesome from what ive seen

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Last edited by LYNCHY; 27-10-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: EPIC FAIL
    マツダスピード

Hey Lynchy sorry to pull you up mate but the Black WOW is pretty much nothing but silicone. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but you did

We will have a product coming in soon from Finish Kare that is basically Black WOW at 1/10 of the price. I actually have a large bottle of it that we imported as a tester so if you are a Black WOW lover I'd be happy to send you a little sample bottle (about the size of a Black WOW bottle ) to test and let me know you thoughts on it?

As for the durability of these products, you will find the Forever Black will win every time. It is a dye and as close as you'll get to permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post
    Hey Lynchy sorry to pull you up mate but the Black WOW is pretty much nothing but silicone. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but you did

We will have a product coming in soon from Finish Kare that is basically Black WOW at 1/10 of the price. I actually have a large bottle of it that we imported as a tester so if you are a Black WOW lover I'd be happy to send you a little sample bottle (about the size of a Black WOW bottle ) to test and let me know you thoughts on it?

As for the durability of these products, you will find the Forever Black will win every time. It is a dye and as close as you'll get to permanent.

Wow EPIC FAIL from me

Thanks for telling us! I thought silicon was bad ?????? Have I been miss informed? I thought silicon caused the plastics to dry out and eventually crack? My bad !

Whats the name of this stuff by finish klare?

Keen ...some of the cars im doing have some terrible trim and black wow is pricey

Thanks Joel
    Last edited by LYNCHY; 27-10-2009 at 07:57 PM.
    マツダスピード

9. Default

I think you should come and test your free sample on a sexy black MPS6 Lynchy

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    I think you should come and test your free sample on a sexy black MPS6 Lynchy
    sure
    マツダスピード

Quote Originally Posted by LYNCHY View Post
    Wow EPIC FAIL from me

Thanks for telling us! I thought silicon was bad ?????? Have I been miss informed? I thought silicon caused the plastics to dry out and eventually crack? My bad !

Whats the name of this stuff by finish klare?

Keen ...some of the cars im doing have some terrible trim and black wow is pricey

Thanks Joel
    I think the jury is still out on the whole silicone thing mate. It's even confusing for me. These products (Black WOW, Finish Kare) are very different to your Armorall sprays though.

It's called Finish Kare 317 Exterior Trim Restorer. It's blue, smells like bubble gum and is the same consistency as Black WOW so you use it just the same as that product. A litre of it will cost "about" the same as a little bottle of the other stuff

I'll ship it out to you this week.

Thanks Joel. So a bottle of Forever Black would be enough to treat all the black bits including the lower grille, which has quite a lot of surface area when you add all those recesses up?

You are right, that is a lot of surface area. It should still be enough though if you don't go too heavy on the product.

Nice one. I'm placing an order now.

The problem with silicon based products is it makes life very difficult for painters should you have an accident.
    If you do decide to use something like that, make sure all your paint work has been done.

Another option would be to restore the plastics properly by repainting them. You can get quality proper products that will do the job, and it's really easy to do.
    Just see a panel beater or plastic welder to find out what they use and where to get it.
    When I was repairing bumpers I used a brand called "bradleys" good stuff and it had nothing to do with the name!

What Lynchy was referring to is silicone based products drying out unpainted bumpers, trim etc. Without actually doing a long term test, I can't say for sure if some silicone based products will do this.

When dealing with faded plastics though like we are discussing in this thread, they have already dried out and faded so using a silicone based product to restore them doesn't matter, even if these claims are true. What you might want to avoid though is applying these types of products to trim that doesn't need it.

As for spray painters and silicone, if they prep their work properly then there will be no problem with silicone and "fish eyes". If they are lazy and/or don't prep correctly then this is what happens and these are usually the spray painters that complain.

I think the jury is still out on the whole silicone thing mate. It's even confusing for me. These products (Black WOW, Finish Kare) are very different to your Armorall sprays though.

It's called Finish Kare 317 Exterior Trim Restorer. It's blue, smells like bubble gum and is the same consistency as Black WOW so you use it just the same as that product. A litre of it will cost "about" the same as a little bottle of the other stuff

I'll ship it out to you this week.
    Thanks mate ...Yeah so many conflicting ideas out there its hard to figure it all out

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

What Lynchy was referring to is silicone based products drying out unpainted bumpers, trim etc. Without actually doing a long term test, I can't say for sure if some silicone based products will do this.

When dealing with faded plastics though like we are discussing in this thread, they have already dried out and faded so using a silicone based product to restore them doesn't matter, even if these claims are true. What you might want to avoid though is applying these types of products to trim that doesn't need it.

So use of silicone based products on interior trim would be a no-no? Which is what ive been preaching to all my friends / family lathering copius amounts of armeroil over there dashes
    マツダスピード

Yeah mate, you are right. So many conflicting ideas. But in this case we are talking about two different things.

External faded plastics - doesn't matter

Interior trim like your dash - no way.

Yeah mate, you are right. So many conflicting ideas. But in this case we are talking about two different things.

External faded plastics - doesn't matter

Interior trim like your dash - no way.
    Sweet thats were i confused my self
    マツダスピード

Yes, if paintwork is prepared properly silicon shouldn't be a problem, however, sometimes no matter how hard you try, and how much prep you do, you can't get rid of it all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast