User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3MPS poor resale value

1. Default 3MPS poor resale value

Can someone here explain to me why the 3 MPS is losing so much value ? I remember seeing some 06-07 not so long ago for somewhere in the low 30's now all of a sudden mid 20's isnt far fetched and I've heard of people selling up for 23 or 24K for some fairly low KM models. I'm wondering what my 08 will would be worth in 3 or 4 years time with 90-100K on it. I suspect no more than 17 grand or so ! The gold GTI's dont seem to be having this problem. Is there something inhernetly wrong with the MPS that makes them less popular ? I'm contemplating selling my MPS now and cutting my losses! I think a dealer may even pay more for the car than what ppl are willing to pay privately.

Blog Entries

Mazda's are notorious for there resale value...my Maz 3 Neo 2005 model I bought brand new for 20k I would be hard luck trying to get anything near 10k for it...hence why I still own it

Just be happy you dont own a HSV GTS O6/07 model. 70k+ brand new.....have seen them going for low 40k........

I think the fact that a brand new model/shape has come on the market is always going to slog the previous model's pricing.
    Give it a few more years, I'm looking at my MPS3 as a long-term investment...

I bought mine to keep, there is no plans of selling or trading...more likely to buy a second car than giving away my MPS3 for peanuts
    Last edited by Nirvandan; 22-10-2009 at 10:03 AM.

I dont mind the resale at the moment. When i decide to buy again, they will be nice and cheap

It's possible that with the recession there are people who have lost jobs or whatever, may need to fire sale items to survive and you see with the millionaires giving away things cheap as well. I would hang on to it and ride it through..... Remember it's a buyers market at the moment.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    Mazda's are notorious for there resale value...my Maz 3 Neo 2005 model I bought brand new for 20k I would be hard luck trying to get anything near 10k for it...hence why I still own it
    I disagree adam I've mainly owned Holdens and fords and mainly Statesman and Ltd's which aren't good for any resale value even the brocky and the Hsv's when I sold them at the time and Mazda's always held there prices for what I saw, where just in bad times at the moment and there are some desperate people out there trying to survive and given things away to do so..... If your not selling DON'T worry with trivia .

Blog Entries

Exactly right Rino...if your not selling don't worry about it...if you want a purchase that will make you money buy a house.

I was going to say as well, Mazda generally hold their value better than most makes, primarily due to the fact they arn't commerical supplier to industry.

eg. Govt - Toyota primarily, Taxi Company's usually go Ford/Holden etc...

My 04 SP23 (Sunlight Silver) I purchased in Dec 04 - for $30k neat, traded 19mths later on a 06 CRV - traded for $26.5k.

The black SP23 which was traded for the MPS lost a bit more, due to the change in shape I think... $31.5k purchased, traded for $24.5k.

Blog Entries

Yep thats it...commercial verhicles always get stung pretty bad for resale vaule...same with Hyundai (rentals)

I figure that resale prices on the old 3MPS would drop to a point and then level off...

You will never make money from most cars....so enjoy it...i do.. 110000kms later and its not even 3 years old.

I think after 5 years they will still be worth around the $18K - $20K mark depending on the condition.

I suggest keep it....use it...and think about trading/selling in a few years time.

You lose more on the car in the first 2 years anyways....

Happy Motoring
    duglet

soon as a new model comes out u lose resale value straight away.

The new model thing is a factor, certainly. However in the UK, there has been a sudden surge in used car prices after a pretty awful drop. The reason is that when the recession hit the UK, new car sales virtually collapsed. 1 year later, Ppl traditionally looking for 1 year old cars couldn't find any which pushed prices up. This effect has knocked on further to 2 - 3 year old cars because they are in short supply also because ppl can't afford new.

All this has happened with a car scrappage sheme in place. £2K for 10 year old cars in exchange for a new car.

I would hang on a few months.

A few months wont change a thing. Its a car not an investment. If you think that by holding on for however long that resale will increase, then you need to get your head out of the clouds. Cars depreciate, fact of nature. A few points that also lead to this drop are

Its a performance car. Any perspective buyer expects it to be driven like one

Brand new towards the end of 08/09 (Gen1), people were buying for about 40K, hell even the Gen2 some people could hook up for 40K. Nobody now will be paying 30K for an 06/07 MPS3 with Kays on the clock.

Obvious turbo seal issues with early year MPS3 units. Warranty running out will affect prices

The fact that minimal units of the MPS3 were ever sold. They are not mainstream and will never have that market. There is not that many perspective buyers of the car which leads to long sale periods. Sellers get impatient if they need to sell fast for whatever reason and drop pricing

If you didnt want to cop decent depreciation, buy a 6-12 month old mps and let someone else cop it otherwise get over it
    Alcohol - Some Of The Best Times, You Will Never Remember

Wheels and glass guide and redbook all rate the 3 mps as having one of the highest resales after 3 years, 62 points or around there. So a 09 base mps with 70000 on it in 2012 should still fetch 24-26 k, which i think is a very good, cause you have only lost 5 k a year, which for a new car is very good in my eyes.

Would suck to be a ford or holden owner much more than a mazda one

5k a year... If you paid $39990... anyone?

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MPShiv View Post
    Wheels and glass guide and redbook all rate the 3 mps as having one of the highest resales after 3 years, 62 points or around there. So a 09 base mps with 70000 on it in 2012 should still fetch 24-26 k, which i think is a very good, cause you have only lost 5 k a year, which for a new car is very good in my eyes.

Would suck to be a ford or holden owner much more than a mazda one
    Sorry to say but redbook is crap. I loooked up my 08 MPS with similar km and the thing reckons its worth low to mid 30's. Theres similar cars on carsales advertised for high 20's and still have been sitting there for month's without being sold. The current market is a LOT less than what rebook estimates.

Red book is simply a guide..... The buyer drives the price, and there will always be naive young people with more money then sense, that will pay what you ask, you just may have to wait a little bit to find them....

As for the XR5, the price dropped pretty quickly after the new model (face-lift) came out, but it didn't take long for the market price to recover once people realised there wasn't a lot of difference between the two. I predict the earlier models will regain their value as demand increases, just like the XR5.

Redbook has always been crap for as long as the stupid book as been out. You go to different dealers and they all give you similiar trade in offers they all go to their offices and ring up dealerships. It's like the wreckers hot line they all inform other dealers your coming who knows.....

Call redbook crap if you will but i think a rough guide is better than a stab in the dark. I know several people who have used the values given in the guides to either get a discount on a car, or help bolster their resale value. I never claimed it would work 100% of the time, hence it bieng labelled a guide. But i know that the guide is a good yardstick for future resale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast