User Tag List

Thread: MPS3 rims with 235

Default MPS3 rims with 235

Looking at getting some Maxxis MAV-1's fitted on Friday.

The guy at bob jane said to fit 235's instead of 225. Is this ok to do?

I think you will find this is an illegal fitment and you may have rubbing issues..>
    There is a WHOLE lot of info in this thread;
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/handl...res-3mpss.html

If this is for a MPS3 (as in your profile) the 225's are a size up, they are 215 stock.

Yeah I've read through the thread, just thought I'd double check because kept on asking the guy at Bob Jane whether he was 100% sure that the tyres are ok for the stock rim and he assured me they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    You need to check with the manufacturer specs for the particular tyre you are considering.

There are very few 225/40R18 that are warranted by the manufacturer for fitment to 18x7 rims. Likewise there are very few 235/40R18 that are warrantable for fitment to 18x7.5 rims

Each tyre manufacturer publishes specifications for the tyre, and this is the final word in what is or is not roadworthy if it passes all other transport authority requirements.

A good example tyre for which 225/40R18 will fit to 18x7 rims and 235/40R18 to 18x7.5 rims is Federals SS595

If you check Federals website, you will see of three different SS595 variants the entry level SS595 is good for these fitments. If you then check the street performance and track performance variations on this tyre (SS595-EVO, SS595-RS) you will find that these same fitments are not warrantable and therefore illegal/unroadworthy.

Generic fitment guides have the potential to mislead - don't use them. There are many generic fitment guides that say 225/40 is OK on the 18x7 OEM rims. The problem is that 90% of manufactured tyre specs disagree and specify a 7.5" minimum rim for the same tyre, so the generic guides are giving the OK to an unroadworthy tyre fitment. The manufacturer fitment specs are authoritive. The generic fitment guides are not.

Always check with the tyre manufacturers published specs and you won't go wrong.
    From above thread
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Blog Entries

I've seen 225s on the stock rim and I think it looks to big, so 235s would be way too big in my non technical experience.

6. Default

Mine came with 225/40/18 from the factory

I now run 225/45/18 and they work just fine, besides my mate that manages a Bob Jane would not fit them to my rims if they were not spec, he's a nazi like that but he said no way to 235 width on standard 7" rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Transformer View Post
    Mine came with 225/40/18 from the factory
    They are now standard on the 2009 Gen 2 Model.
    I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.........Groucho Marx

New one is 7.5" wide rim too

if you want to run 235s the advised size rim is generally 8" wide, however i think you can fit 235s on the Gen 2 7.5" rims.

i run 235/40/18 +45 on a gen 1 but i needed to get the rear guards flared and rolled to take away the scrubbing, but the grip level is much improved.